Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2011 Mavericks vs 2019 Raptors

Who wins the series between them?

Default Re: 2011 Mavericks vs 2019 Raptors

raptors

I'm completely unbiased

I made this thread to see what people think but I got the Raptors in 6 games. Offensively both teams had a superstar and good role players that can hit shots but the Raptors' defense was definitely a level above.

I genuinely wonder which title teams people would pick the 2011 Mavs to beat, they're generally considered one of the weakest teams to win a championship. '03 Spurs & '94 Rockets I guess, some of those mid-late 70's teams if you want to go back that far.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    I made this thread to see what people think but I got the Raptors in 6 games. Offensively both teams had a superstar and good role players that can hit shots but the Raptors' defense was definitely a level above.
    we had a very, very deep team that year. would have a ton of guys to throw at dirk in ibaka kawhi and siakam plus we had a lot of guards that would feast on them.

I think we would've gotten the 2011 heat in 6 games too because they didnt have chemistry yet and our team gelled perfectly from the jump.

we already had a number 1 seed team that couldnt get over the ECF hump so we pretty much just swapped out derozan for kawhi and jonas for gasol. everyone else lowry vanvleet siakam all had good chemistry already.

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    we had a very, very deep team that year. would have a ton of guys to throw at dirk in ibaka kawhi and siakam plus we had a lot of guards that would feast on them.
    To be fair 2011 Nowitzki faced Ibaka in the conference finals and averaged 32. And that was before all the recent rule changes to make scoring easier. Committee approach might work better but then again players are singling out the defenders they want and just getting switches more than ever now anyway.

I think that Mavs team is underrated, they fit perfectly together and were pretty dominant in the postseason. I think people tend to assume because they were over 30 that having Kidd, Marion, and Nowitzki wasnt that big a deal. Or because Kidd and Marion arent traditional iso scorers theyre somehow not as valuable in a Big 3 as Irving and Love for instance. I would actually argue the opposite. And so the lesson here is that the Mavs roster was actually much BETTER than anything Lebron ever played with, if we take context into account. And thats why… wait Im sorry what was the question again?

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    To be fair 2011 Nowitzki faced Ibaka in the conference finals and averaged 32. And that was before all the recent rule changes to make scoring easier. Committee approach might work better but then again players are singling out the defenders they want and just getting switches more than ever now anyway.

I think that Mavs team is underrated, they fit perfectly together and were pretty dominant in the postseason. I think people tend to assume because they were over 30 that having Kidd, Marion, and Nowitzki wasnt that big a deal. Or because Kidd and Marion arent traditional iso scorers theyre somehow not as valuable in a Big 3 as Irving and Love for instance. I would actually argue the opposite. And so the lesson here is that the Mavs roster was actually much BETTER than anything Lebron ever played with, if we take context into account. And thats why… wait Im sorry what was the question again?
    lmao this guy. I dont blame you I do the same thing.

in all seriousness dirk destroyed miami and raptors had a much better defense - we were an elite defensive team that year, every coach in the league was mentioning that it was the most length and size they had seen in a while with wings like siakam and kawhi and ibaka and OG all mobile with long arms and a true center in gasol

dirk would obviously still do his thing he was on fire that year - I think dallas would have a much harder time against a team like the 2019 raptors. heat kinda choked that year, they were up massively in game 2 and choked a huge lead up 1-0, and had a ton of other chances to take control of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    lmao this guy. I dont blame you I do the same thing.

in all seriousness dirk destroyed miami and raptors had a much better defense - we were an elite defensive team that year, every coach in the league was mentioning that it was the most length and size they had seen in a while with wings like siakam and kawhi and ibaka and OG all mobile with long arms and a true center in gasol

dirk would obviously still do his thing he was on fire that year - I think dallas would have a much harder time against a team like the 2019 raptors. heat kinda choked that year, they were up massively in game 2 and choked a huge lead up 1-0, and had a ton of other chances to take control of the series.

All true. Itd be an interesting match. I agree none of the teams the Mavs faced in 2011 were as physical as the 2011 Raptors. Altho the Raps also enjoyed some Finals luck that year with the injuries to GS. And I do think Marion is the ideal Kawhi defender, altho beyond him the Mavs dont really have anyone who can slow him down. Maybe Kidd in spurts.

We also dont know who has home court in the scenario which could end up being the deciding factor. It’d almost certainly be a 6 or 7 game series.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    All true. Itd be an interesting match. I agree none of the teams the Mavs faced in 2011 were as physical as the 2011 Raptors. Altho the Raps also enjoyed some Finals luck that year with the injuries to GS. And I do think Marion is the ideal Kawhi defender, altho beyond him the Mavs dont really have anyone who can slow him down. Maybe Kidd in spurts.

We also dont know who has home court in the scenario which could end up being the deciding factor. It’d almost certainly be a 6 or 7 game series.
    honestly I think it would be a great series

I like series where teams are relatively evenly matched in talent, and its even more fun if their styles are completely different.

I hate the paul pierce kg celtics with a passion because they used to dominate the east for that brief 3 year run, but I respect the hell out of them because they had the ability to play down to their competition so they'd have epic series against shitty teams giving us that entertainment, but they'd still show up against the good teams like the lakers and heat

that 2009 bulls celtics first round series with rookie drose going off for the bulls and ray allen and rondo going off for the celtics - thats some of the most epic playoff basketball ever played

Banned

Does anyone think Jason Terry would outscore Kawhi?

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post

Does anyone think you need to ****in relax with all that bullshit youre talkin?

Yeah. I do.

NBA lottery pick

Raptors as Kawhi would lock up Dirk.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

The Mavs could've beat the Raptors. A lot of people forget Durant was out and Klay after finally having a good Finals series got hurt out of nowhere.

Demarcus cousins was the Dubs 2nd option at that point. Dallas was on a mission that year and capable of taking down Toronto especially since kawhi was banged up by the last round.

hahaha