Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Who from this era do you think will age out of being hated like Snoop Dogg did?

You may or may not know he was very controversial at one point. Around the “I know the ****** from the other side recognize my face cause I’m the OG D-O-Double G(LBC). Mad dogging ****** cause I don’t care red jumpsuit with 2 braids in my hair” time? Murder trial time? Snoop was like a face of everything wrong with the culture to a lot of mainstream America.

But?

As he got older and stuck around forever…he became friendly and such an institution everyone just let it go and he’s in commercials with Martha Stewart. He’s just happy go lucky weed smoking uncle snoop now:

Who has a problem with Snoop? Nobody. Not a single person.

Happens in sports too. In basketball in particular?

Reggie Miller aged out of being hated. I liked end of career Reggie. Loved the ending Larry Brown gave him with the extra character timeout. Fans crying. It was wholesome regardless of how much or a bitch he had been at one point.

Who do you think gets that treatment among the more polarizing guys when they are on their last legs and you realize you’re gonna miss them? Or at least the era they represented?

KD? Chris Paul? Lebron at the end?

Whoever you find yourself most critical of…

Last games of their career…you still holding that hate?

Default Re: Who from this era do you think will age out of being hated like Snoop Dogg did?

I get the feeling Wilt aged out of hate. There is footage of him getting standing ovations on the road as an old man. Not like a retirement situation. Just appreciating his efforts.

Know who didn’t? Bill Laimbeer. Hated till the second he retired and beyond.

Default Re: Who from this era do you think will age out of being hated like Snoop Dogg did?

Current players I dont know, the consummate all-time example would be Meta Ron Artest-Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Current players I dont know, the consummate all-time example would be Meta Ron Artest-Peace.

How about Harden and Kyrie?

I know you don’t really acknowledge personal dislikes but….it’s there. At least for Kyrie.

39 year old mostly gray haired Kyrie on his farewell tour.

Is the beef over?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

James Harden maybe. He got hate for the MMA flopping techniques he invented but as time goes on people will forget it. Plus he's seems like a down to earth chill dude.

I feel like people didn't hate ron artest. They were just scared of him.

Dray? I feel his podcast is getting lots of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    How about Harden and Kyrie?

I know you don’t really acknowledge personal dislikes but….it’s there. At least for Kyrie.

39 year old mostly gray haired Kyrie on his farewell tour.

Is the beef over?

I think these things generally depend on how the subject in question evolves as a person.

Spike Lee was 50 years old tweeting out an erroneous address for George Zimmerman in his haste to jump on a bandwagon and be relevant, could have gotten some random old couple killed.

If thats the kind of thing we see Kyrie doing as the years go by, I’d imagine he will maintain his same critics.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    I feel like people didn't hate ron artest. They were just scared of him.
    Might not have been a personal hatred but he was still a villain for a while after the Malice. And like Snoop he certainly received the “violent out of control thug” label for a while before his image turned around.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Well the thing about it is for this to work you have to be entertaining or at least charming in some sort of way. KD, CP3, and Harden are not going to do that. Ron Artest has a bit of it. But yeah, you can’t just go ghost for awhile and people forget, or they might forget hating you but they will forget you entirely as well. You have to re-invent yourself in some capacity while being likable.

Might not have been a personal hatred but he was still a villain for a while after the Malice. And like Snoop he certainly received the “violent out of control thug” label for a while before his image turned around.
    Yea... but when he won with the Lakers he kinda shed that image and became sort of the likeable crazy guy. Especially when he changed his name.

Banned

Ja Morant. Once he grows up and stops acting like a punk, people will forgive and forget his idiotic antics.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    James Harden maybe. He got hate for the MMA flopping techniques he invented but as time goes on people will forget it. Plus he's seems like a down to earth chill dude.
    nah man haha anyone but Harden. Plenty of other people have all time great moments, rings, whatever. He def balls, but that step back and his running thru the lane and throwing his head back... there's not gonna be a good portrayal of him.

Rodman aged out of being hated. That's kind of interesting, isn't it? He went from a thug to a sweetheart without really changing. Even his North Korea stuff was viewed in a sympathetic light. Altho some of it was just like damn... damn. haha. But getting on with the Bulls really made everything work.

I think that would be the only way Harden could get out of it, and he probably knows it. Get on a team and really do some winning. Winning truly does change everything. Sure, Rodman won a lot. He even won in SA. He had rings, but when you team up with MJ it's just different. Someone made a joke about Harden on the Bucks and I was saying that might be a good place for him, but now they got Dame so $$$. He needs to be on the team with a GOAT level talent and b2b or something in order to get not hated.

I def was into Snoop backwhen, for awhile... but once you find Eazy E you realize Snoop wasn't it. I'm trying to think of what bball player I would compare Snoop to. He'd be like Joe Dumars or something, if we stay with the Pistons. Even Isaiah, cuz he aged out, too, due to continuing to stay in the media (not like Rodman, tho.)

I dunno if there are that many "I hate" players other than Bron and Harden. Hard to hate Kobe anymore. I honestly dunno if he would have aged out had he not died. In a way, it was fitting tho cuz it def did make a lot of people (sane people lol) realize that Kobe was a monster. I dunno if Harden could even escape his hate by dying. He'd just be someone people forgot about. Diz dude in the NBA with a beard played like a total bitch then up n died one day. RIP.

Edit: o shit I forgot about CP, and nah he's gonna be known as a snake even tho he'll stay in media like Isiah did. The diff is that Isaiah won and Isiah got some (albeit unsuccessful) jobs. I don't think CP is gonna get jobs outside of snake jobs like players union. Players union is like the snake who pretends to help the players. haha.

-Smak

I def was into Snoop backwhen, for awhile... but once you find Eazy E you realize Snoop wasn't it.

Snoop rapped circles around E. Flat out better music once E didn’t have Dre. Real Gs was hard though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Snoop rapped circles around E. Flat out better music once E didn’t have Dre. Real Gs was hard though.
    I'm just saying that it's hard to take Snoop serious as a menace when you hear the stuff eazy was doing. Louiville Slugga edit: sorry louie* was way harder than anything Snoop did, too. Nuts on ya chin. Eazy wasn't even a rapper, really. I don't think he wrote, either. He was just a dude, but he bodied snoop in terms of being a menace.

Edit2: the only popular dude who was really on some holyshit psycho like sorry louie was biggie in a few songs. Well, pun, too. Everything else people say doesn't seem that real.

Your ask a question thread is glitched out thoe. I did a big serious Dr Phil post and it ate it.

-Smak
    Last edited by ILLsmak; 09-30-2023 at 07:50 PM.