Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Dillon Brooks Ejected in His Rockets Debut

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan View Post
    I am not commenting on this particular incident. I'm talking about people today being indignant about defender/enforcers like Brooks and Draymond Green, in general.
    nah dude is soft. He was like I was tryin to get around the screen didn't even know I hit him. I'm being targeted. haha, he's the one whining.

If he had trucked the screen, nobody would have said shit. Or most of us wouldn't have. No offense to anyone's personal life choices, but Dillon Brooks gives off a 'hard gay' vibe.

He's not the dude you wanna champion, trust.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    nah dude is soft. He was like I was tryin to get around the screen didn't even know I hit him. I'm being targeted. haha, he's the one whining.

If he had trucked the screen, nobody would have said shit. Or most of us wouldn't have. No offense to anyone's personal life choices, but Dillon Brooks gives off a 'hard gay' vibe.

-Smak
    He sure loves going after guy's nuts..

Local High School Star

-Smak
    I'm not championing him; a broader observation about fans not stomaching physicality in general. look, Draymond has knocked people over to prevent them from scoring. They ended up on the floor. Today's NBA fans reaction is what is this thug doing and this has no place in basketball. People see the same exact play from Rick Mahorn 40 years ago and think that was a great era. That is the point I'm making.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    Marquess of Queensberry rules, bro. The sack is off limits.
    I am unequivocally against the nut shot. I now realize that this particular incident was not the right, jumping off point to the broader case I wanted to make. Because people are very sensitive when it comes to getting hit in the family jewels to the point, they don't want to think about related issues.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I'm not championing him; a broader observation about fans not stomaching physicality in general. look, Draymond has knocked people over to prevent them from scoring. They ended up on the floor. Today's NBA fans reaction is what is this thug doing and this has no place in basketball. People see the same exact play from Rick Mahorn 40 years ago and think that was a great era. That is the point I'm making.
    That's fine too defend Green, he's a legit tough guy. Has nothing to do with Brooks.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    That's fine too defend Green, he's a legit tough guy. Has nothing to do with Brooks.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...82914&start=20

This will give you a sense of how fans are reacting.

When Draymond removed his leg from being pinned by Sabonis, he ended up pushing off him to get back up the court. The clear plurality favored a multi-game suspension. More draconian than even the NBA settled for (of one game). A play that in the 80s would not be a foul let alone a suspension.

Comments include:

"I would give 3 or more,"

"This guy is objectively a complete douchebag, why does the NBA allow it? How can this be explained?"

"Anything other than a multi game suspension would be a joke. "

"This is nothing new for Draymond, but since he has always gotten away with this ****, it graduaklly gets worse and worse with him.

But he has a HUGE track record of intentionally trying to hurt people."

This is what I'm talking about.

Now let's take a walk down memory lane to "old school basketball" from the 70s, 80s etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoA1qtIxozo

Comments include:

"The 80s to mid 2000s is the "Attitude Era" of the NBA. The physicality, the competition, the intensity, the rivalries, the swag & style is just unmatched & incomparable in contrast to today's NBA. Today's NBA is nothing but full off softies, divas & woke SJWs."

"Old school basketball = awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! "

"before all the flopping stuff was happenin. loved the real tough guy era"

This is the dichotomy I'm talking about. We romanticize physicality in the past, when we're safe from it. We abhor it in the present, when we feel, at some level, threatened by it.

(One might argue that in the present time, people also react from fan favoritism perspective, that is disliking someone physical with the team they root for. However, I was around in the 80s and an adult in the 90s, and I recall most fans didn't respond as hysterically to such physicality even at the time, as they do today to present-day physicality.)

The thing is this is not supposed to be a thread about Draymond Green or how physical the NBA used to be. This is a thread about Brooks cheap shot to the balls. You are talking about stuff that has nothing to do with that.

I see what the problem is. You are saying Today's NBA fans... and then when you say PEOPLE, you're talking about fans of the old NBA. Two different people. I've never thought physicality was out of place in the NBA. I think physicality is one of the things that made basketball the most complex sport... that you could use your body to dislodge people, use your forearm to push people, use your butt to move people, standing still you can bump people (picks, the one thing you can do anymore.) It made it very interesting. The NBA is shammy now. Funny how I bet there are way more nut shots tho...

Preseason nut shots, the humanity.

Edit: @ RMWG, dude is trolling tho. haha. I wouldn't even respond beyond what we've already said. Zzz. He must be a Brooks fan trying to derail. NO ONE FORGETS NUT SHOTS. History is not kind to ballbusters.

-Smak

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    The thing is this is not supposed to be a thread about Draymond Green or how physical the NBA used to be. This is a thread about Brooks cheap shot to the balls. You are talking about stuff that has nothing to do with that.
    Sorry, you yourself invoked Draymond Green in your last post; I was responding to that.

We all agree a nutshot is wrong; nothing to discuss (I can give you plenty of examples where a nutshot resulted in a technical instead of a suspension, but that's a less interesting subject). I was making a broader point about people's hysterical reactions to physicality (the nut shot being on the extreme end of that in terms of being a cheapshot but nonetheless part of the category) while insisting the league is soft. If you don't want to discuss that angle, fine go back to talking about the nutshot.
    Last edited by bdonovan; 10-14-2023 at 11:48 AM.

Local High School Star

I see what the problem is. You are saying Today's NBA fans... and then when you say PEOPLE, you're talking about fans of the old NBA. Two different people. I've never thought physicality was out of place in the NBA. I think physicality is one of the things that made basketball the most complex sport... that you could use your body to dislodge people, use your forearm to push people, use your butt to move people, standing still you can bump people (picks, the one thing you can do anymore.) It made it very interesting. The NBA is shammy now. Funny how I bet there are way more nut shots tho...

Preseason nut shots, the humanity.

Edit: @ RMWG, dude is trolling tho. haha. I wouldn't even respond beyond what we've already said. Zzz. He must be a Brooks fan trying to derail. NO ONE FORGETS NUT SHOTS. History is not kind to ballbusters.

-Smak
    Keep talking.

Banned

I am unequivocally against the nut shot. I now realize that this particular incident was not the right, jumping off point to the broader case I wanted to make. Because people are very sensitive when it comes to getting hit in the family jewels to the point, they don't want to think about related issues.
    Fair enough, but the point everyone is trying to make is that they're not really related issues. You can be all in favor of physicality and against cockpunching. That's what almost everyone's trying to say.

Sorry, you yourself invoked Draymond Green in your last post; I was responding to that.

We all agree a nutshot is wrong; nothing to discuss (I can give you plenty of examples where a nutshot resulted in a technical instead of a suspension, but that's a less interesting subject). I was making a broader point about people's hysterical reactions to physicality (the nut shot being on the extreme end of that in terms of being a cheapshot but nonetheless part of the category) while insisting the league is soft. If you don't want to discuss that angle, fine go back to talking about the nutshot.
    Actually you are the one that brought up Green.

Translation: "I was trying to place the race card, but it backfired when someone brought up negative reactions to Grayson Allen's cheap shots and his consequent suspensions, and now I'm just rambling like an angry incoherent lunatic trying to untangle the mess I made by playing a faulty race card."

This is kind of a familiar pattern I'm afraid. You try the race card, it gets immediately pointed out as idiotic and inapplicable, and then you just huff and puff in a bitter frenzy.

You need medication my man. That's not an ad hominem. You need real medication, in a completely serious way. You need help. Youre not well.

Banned

Update: The league is fining him $25k.