Default Will there ever be another Magic Johnson type contract offered?

Buss offered a 25yr deal at one million per year and he signed. The deal started in 1984.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...du6kvgch7ghfzp

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Will there ever be another Magic Johnson type contract offered?

can't offer one so no

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

They got rid of those long ass contracts in the lockout from the mid 90s. The last couple people I remember getting them were Larry Johnson and Chris Webber. Chris Webber actually had maybe the stupidest deal ever signed by a team. They gave the number one pick a 15 year contract with a player option after his first season. He had beef with Don Nelson so he simply opted out and ended up doing what I think was a sign and trade to the Bullets.

I’ll credit them for getting good picks in the deal though. They had pick 10 or so in 1996 out of it and could have taken Kobe or Nash but took Todd Fuller. They also got a high pick in 98 and took Vince Carter but traded him for Jamison.

Could have flipped Webber for Kobe and VC but got Todd Fuller and Antawn Jamison. They also had another high pick but it was Mike Miller.

Wasted the whole era.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    They got rid of those long ass contracts in the lockout from the mid 90s. The last couple people I remember getting them were Larry Johnson and Chris Webber. Chris Webber actually had maybe the stupidest deal ever signed by a team. They gave the number one pick a 15 year contract with a player option after his first season. He had beef with Don Nelson so he simply opted out and ended up doing what I think was a sign and trade to the Bullets.

I’ll credit them for getting good picks in the deal though. They had pick 10 or so in 1996 out of it and could have taken Kobe or Nash but took Todd Fuller. They also got a high pick in 98 and took Vince Carter but traded him for Jamison.

Could have flipped Webber for Kobe and VC but got Todd Fuller and Antawn Jamison. They also had another high pick but it was Mike Miller.

Wasted the whole era.
    liked Fuller the year he was here

Chris Webber actually had maybe the stupidest deal ever signed by a team. They gave the number one pick a 15 year contract with a player option after his first season. He had beef with Don Nelson so he simply opted out and ended up doing what I think was a sign and trade to the Bullets.
    Legit did not know that, too funny, but yea I doubt Players ever allow a guy to get signed for that amount of time. In reality, it doesn't work well for either side. It's amazing those sorta contracts existed at any point, but other than shoe deals, I can't see NBA contracts ever being more than like 5 yrs max again. Pretty sure they aren't even 5 anymore? That's super crazy, though, that you can't lock up your franchise guy. You should be able to no trade request sign a guy for long term if you want. The way the NBA is set up encourages the kind of drama we see unfold.

It'll never happen, tho.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    Legit did not know that, too funny, but yea I doubt Players ever allow a guy to get signed for that amount of time. In reality, it doesn't work well for either side. It's amazing those sorta contracts existed at any point, but other than shoe deals, I can't see NBA contracts ever being more than like 5 yrs max again. Pretty sure they aren't even 5 anymore? That's super crazy, though, that you can't lock up your franchise guy. You should be able to no trade request sign a guy for long term if you want. The way the NBA is set up encourages the kind of drama we see unfold.

It'll never happen, tho.

-Smak
    it worked well for lots of players that's why the NBA wanted shorter contracts.

It worked for some who got injured, but if you stayed a star as the leagues revenue kept increasing you were screwed. Webber for one had a 15 year deal which coincidentally would have taken him all the way to 2008 when he retired, but he would’ve been making 5 million a season when he was making 15 to 20 in the mid 2000s. Larry Johnson had a 12 year 84 million which was a shocking number at the time but people were signing for 100 million for half of those years within a year or two.

Smart thing is to make sure you have “Rich forever” money but a player option for when salaries explode.

Webber played it perfectly. Had he suffered a career threatening injury as a rookie he was still going to get paid for 15 years, but he had an out so if he proved to be a star right away, he could renegotiate as the league was heading into a lockout. His agent deserves a lot of credit. He was protected either way.

It worked for some who got injured, but if you stayed a star as the leagues revenue kept increasing you were screwed. Webber for one had a 15 year deal which coincidentally would have taken him all the way to 2008 when he retired, but he would’ve been making 5 million a season when he was making 15 to 20 in the mid 2000s. Larry Johnson had a 12 year 84 million which was a shocking number at the time but people were signing for 100 million for half of those years within a year or two.

Smart thing is to make sure you have “Rich forever” money but a player option for when salaries explode.

Webber played it perfectly. Had he suffered a career threatening injury as a rookie he was still going to get paid for 15 years, but he had an out so if he proved to be a star right away, he could renegotiate as the league was heading into a lockout. His agent deserves a lot of credit. He was protected either way.
    Johnson didn't even play 12 years and peaked his first two

Yeah it’s great injury insurance you just have to build in a player option somewhere. Did Glenn Robinson finish his rookie contract? I feel like it was for 10 years and I don’t know that he made it to 2005.

He did make it. He played all 10 seasons of his rookie deal and retired as nothing but cap relief:

Robinson, 32, has been hobbled by an ankle injury all season and for much of last season. His basketball skills have eroded considerably, and the Hornets are his third team in three years .Though he is a great bargaining chip, Robinson is worth very little as a basketball player.

“Glenn isn’t going to go out there and get you 20 points a game like he used to,” said Van Gundy. “Actually, he’s not going to get you 10 per game, either. He’s probably not going to get you anything at this point. But he’s making $12 million this year. $12 million! Can you believe that? That means we get a cool $12 mil off our salary cap next year. Talk about a great pickup. This guy is the Michael Jordan of cap relief.”

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Gotta realize it's a scumbag move when the old guys offering it knew they'd profit 1000%. Most successful companies operate 15-20% profit margin and they knew they suckered in a young talented guy and blew that margin out the water. 25 million in the 80s would entice anybody who didn't know the market was rigged to explode in the upcoming decades. So they knew exactly what they were doing...

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Gotta realize it's a scumbag move when the old guys offering it knew they'd profit 1000%. Most successful companies operate 15-20% profit margin and they knew they suckered in a young talented guy and blew that margin out the water. 25 million in the 80s would entice anybody who didn't know the market was rigged to explode in the upcoming decades. So they knew exactly what they were doing...
    He locked dude up from Moses Malones prime to Dwight Howard’s. Magic couldn’t leave till 2009.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

He locked dude up from Moses Malones prime to Dwight Howard’s. Magic couldn’t leave till 2009.
    Magic was extremely smart though and invested properly outside the nba. He got duped initially but rebounded in all his investments. Now worth 600+ million dollars.

It could be structured to allow for improvement and change, though. The idea of locking guys up long term with the same franchise, actually atg level players would be really good for the NBA imo. And yeah as for injury, they could bake that in, too. Could just have a buy out cost in the case of injury. But some way to get guys to wanna stay and financially incentivize them to stay would be good. Right now, it's too close in terms of leaving and staying imo. If it was 100s of millions more, it would be diff, and some of those teams without big market appeal might want to invest in their star. Dudes care more about the money than winning anyway, and I suspect the fans would rather have a good star for years than win. I mean, think about Toronto, I wonder how much they benefited from getting kawhi and winning one.

They lost everyone.

Edit: like, think of this Air Canada vs Kawhi champ team, which makes more money. HMM.

-Smak