Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Are the 2017 and 2018 Warriors the Same Team?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    No. The 2017 Warriors are one of the five best teams I’ve ever seen in real time in my life.

Which if anyone cares:

1993 Bulls
    1996 Bulls
    1997 Bulls
    2001 Lakers
    2017 Warriors

2017 GSW were clicking on all cylinders, great chemistry, great vibes, played harmoniously, motivated.

But not for meaningless shit like regular season record ala 2016.

The 2018 team was a little more flawed and then obviously 2019 they had problems with chemistry due to Draymond and Kevin Durant conflict.

And to the Michael Jordan / Kobe hating dude, 1987 Lakers …

The Bulls could beat the 2017 Warriors. Basketball is a game of matchups, and what Chicago brings to the table strength wise would give them issue.

If they struggled with the Chris Paul and James Harden Rockets and the 2019 Raptors. Even if those version of the Warriors are slightly inferior to the 2017 one, Chicago, particularly given what type of rules set you’re playing by. Whether it’s the actual sport of basketball, or the modern loose entertainment rules, either way they could give them issue. The Bulls greatest strengths were perimeter defense. And DrAPEmond would be mind****ed into oblivion by Dennis Rodman. But would be a great matchup.

2001 Lakers would give them issue and could beat them too. Because there is no solution with that extra small ball for Shaq. And by that point, Kobe Bryant was the top three to top five player in the league and a co-Alpha. That’s why they were so absurdly dominant. A legitimate two headed monster with 2 of the 3 best players in the league. Shaq / Duncan / Kobe were the best players in the game. Them after them KG / AI / Kidd at that time. 2001 Lakers could beat those 2017 Warriors.

The 2017 Cavs were a three all star super team and tremendously offensively talented, but they don’t bring anything to the table that could slow the Warriors strengths down or offer an alternative they can’t stop.

It’s chess not checkers.

Those Cavs don’t have the perimeter defense Jordan w/ Pippen’s Bulls had. And they don’t have utter dominance down low that the 2001 Lakers had.

Stopped making passive aggressive and thinly veiled excuses for LeBron. He didn’t face unanimously the best team of all time. They are one of the best. But definitely not definitive. The Cavaliers, if they played an ounce of defense, could’ve made that series competitive.

They should’ve won game three, but LeBron was too pussified league to stay on Kevin Durant on a weak ass screen, and go over the top to contest KD’s jumper or dribble penetration, and instead switched off and let JR Smith to hang out to dry who didn’t have the requisite size to guard Kevin Durant.
    The problem about matchups is that you expect Pippen, Rodman and Jordan defend like in the 90s while the Warriors could spread the floor like no other team they've ever faced. The Pacers with Reggie at the helm have the Bulls the business. The Sonics in 96 showed glimpses they could beat them. Teams that only kept 2 of those 3 guys busy.

Chess not checkers, but dude you play connect 4.

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    No team in history of the 80s and 90s or 2000s scores enough points over 7 games to stop the 2017 Warriors.

I dont know how anyone can watch the NBA seriously and think the 2017 Warriors were same as the 2018 Warriors.
    As said I think the 1986 Celtics could if you let them play a whole season first. They had shooting and 3 scorers that could give you 20 and more in the same game with a really good supporting cast. I think any other team doesn't stand a chance even with a full season to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    As said I think the 1986 Celtics could if you let them play a whole season first. They had shooting and 3 scorers that could give you 20 and more in the same game with a really good supporting cast. I think any other team doesn't stand a chance even with a full season to adapt.
    Who were the 3 point shooters on that 86 Celtics?

I'll give you Bird is an elite shooter. Who else could do it on high volume even if you gave them multiple seasons to practice 3s?

86 Celtics attempted 393 3s at 35% make.

17 Warriors attempted 2520 3s at 38.3% make.

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Who were the 3 point shooters on that 86 Celtics?

I'll give you Bird is an elite shooter. Who else could do it on high volume even if you gave them multiple seasons to practice 3s?

86 Celtics attempted 393 3s at 35% make.

17 Warriors attempted 2520 3s at 38.3% make.
    Danny ainge obviously.

As for this thread, obviously they’re not. Chemistry can get worse older stars can decline you lose depth etc.

I brought this up before, but the 2001 & 2002 Lakers are an even more glaring example of this. One dominated the playoffs, the other if we're being honest should have lost.

Banned

it's fukking retarded to compare the best team in 2017 to the best team of the 80's or 90's. the coaching and scheming is so advanced and the average player possesses so much more skill.

so yea, if you put the 96 bulls or the 86 celtics in a time machine and sent them forward to the year 2017 and they had to play the warriors... they wold get crushed. the warriors aren't even playing the same game they are. they're far too advanced.

they would need time to adapt.

2017 Warriors were better

Like I mentioned in the other thread when this was being talked about, the '17 Warriors were better because they were more poised. Not only were Curry, Klay, and Draymond more hungry to win a championship after being beaten 3-1 by the Cavs the previous year, but KD also had something to prove.

Obviously the time machine argument is dumb. The teams have to adapt to the new era they are put in.

The matchup depends on the rules as well. Allow the Bulls to be physical, handcheck, and Looney/Green defenders to sit in the paint with no 3 second rule and it will be tough for the Warriors. Likewise if the rules are modern ones and you can't touch Curry or KD, it will be very tough for the Bulls.

Can't go wrong either way, since both teams blessed curry with phenomenal screensetters after all.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyMeatballs View Post
    2017 Warriors were better

Like I mentioned in the other thread when this was being talked about, the '17 Warriors were better because they were more poised. Not only were Curry, Klay, and Draymond more hungry to win a championship after being beaten 3-1 by the Cavs the previous year, but KD also had something to prove.
    Advanced? No just different. Players wouldn’t be allowed to illegally palm, carry and travel all over the court. Also harder to dance with the ball and look more skilled when they’re not allowed to be touched or have to handle physicality. It works both ways.