Default Jaylen Brown vs Latrell Sprewell

Who is the better player?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Jaylen Brown vs Latrell Sprewell

the one able to feed his family

Local High School Star

Oh this is actually a very interesting comparison. I'm not sure about this one. My gut says latrell sprewell cuz I feel like he was more versatile

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Street Hunger View Post
    Oh this is actually a very interesting comparison. I'm not sure about this one. My gut says latrell sprewell cuz I feel like he was more versatile
    He dribbled better with his off hand but that's not saying much, a lot of players do. Not much separating them in impact because JB has ways of covering for his deficiency, though there are a few defenders that know how to take advantage of the weak left-handed dribbling. I still have hope that he will fix it but he's been in the league for 7 years now so it may just be his quirk.

In this case we're not trying to compare Brown to someone like Kobe so his game and resume don't have to be flawless. I will concede that I'm not sure how much Brown can do to "make his teammates better" and that along with the of hand dribbling keep Brown from belonging in the conversation of the true elite wings of history. But like Sprewell he is absolutely one of the best wings of his day. Both are good defenders, Brown is a better shooter with a midrange game that more than makes up for his bad left hand dribbling. He can be a go to guy, but unlike most players with the scoring ability to be a franchise player he can't be the primary ballhandler. Certainly a flaw but him being more off-ball than most stars also makes him easier to fit in with other great scorers. If he was put in Spree's place he would have scored a lot of points in Golden State and they would have been bad, like Spree. He could have been second or third option in Minnie. The biggest question mark is if he could have gotten that Knicks 8th seed to the Finals. Truly can't say for sure that he would but Ihave a good memory of Spree and he was a similar level of player. Additionally Brown was a 1b in a team that made the Finals.

Comparing their stats is a bit unfair because the eras are so different. But I would have to concede that sprewell was likely the better passer. Brown isn't a total ballhog but when he gets the ball unless it's part of a play that has been called for someone else he is always looking to score.

For whatever it's worth Brown is both taller and stronger. That doesn't always mean a lot but Brown can probably guard a few bigger players than sprewell could.

I think jb is way better n i like spree. I also think bos jb jt pair is waaack. But yea spree is a tier below. Jb would be first option on some teams. Spree is a second option. One mite be able to argue spree would be a better fit tho ahaha. Tho imo jb is better enough itd be tough sell.

-Smak

Learning to shoot layups

Jaylen Brown is a better player in almost every aspect...in the regular season.

But if you want a reliable player for the playoffs, street Latrell Sprewell, those '99 Knicks were great and Sprewell was one of the main architects.

To summarize as if it were NBA 2K:
    - Jaylen Brown's total rating: 90. 80 in playoffs.
    - Latrell Sprewell's total rating 78. 85 in playoffs.

Sprewell played in a weak, expansion era.