Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Default Re: How good would Nikoka Jokic have been in the '80s or '90s NBA

I think Jokic is on the list of players that the era doesn't really matter. His basketball IQ/skill/size would destroy any era. If he played in the 80's/90's you can add an extra 10-20 pounds to his frame. The only reason why he lost that weight is because of the things he's required to do nowadays that wouldn't exist back than. It's not like Jokic was a natural 3 point shooter either. He didn't come into the league like say a Wemby. It's something he added to his game. He'd absolutely be facing better defenders but I don't think it's that simple. Some of the players who have defended him the best have been much smaller. P.J Tucker in that Philly game comes to mind. His can pass the ball from anywhere. That's pure basketball IQ. It's happening in any era. He wouldn't average 10 dimes a game but it'd still be elite. His touch around the basket is probably his most elite skill and that's getting utilized more back than than it is today.

I'm not even sure you can say he's playing in the era the best suits him. The league is completely geared towards guards/wings. Right off the bat he's getting more minutes/bigger role early. He's not getting sat for Nurkic because of modern offense's. Teams would be way more eager to take advantage of skill around the basket than they were in this era. The schemes nowadays benefits players stats for sure but I'm not completely sold that a 7 footer basically running your entire offense from the post, as a P&R handler/roller, doing constant dribble hand offs isn't very difficult and they wouldn't see certain parts of there game improve quite abit with a less responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    jokic gets to the foul line more in the 90s too, that's the one area he's not elite rn. He would torch defenses who have to send hard double teams if they dont want their guy cooked 1v1. handchecking doesnt affect guys spotting up for 3s. Porter and kcp are mostly taking spot ups. Even with rule changes, denver's offense is elite and there arent good answers for them.

most 90's team just have no answers guarding a pnr with the center as a ball handler and the screener being a 40% 3pt shooter or even someone as versatile as aaron gordon. they're used to leaving the screener who's usually a big wide open for a 18fter, you cant guard the pnr that way anymore. jamal murray shot 40% on pull up 3's last year and he's not the main option when denver runs pnr. drop defense is ineffective vs denver with those 2's jump shooting
    Like I said different defensive rules would have made those guys less effective and their percentages would drop. No one is getting to the paint as easy as now without getting hit. The funny thing is Denver could play a similar way but not win anything because they would be teams much better than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post
    Like I said different defensive rules would have made those guys less effective and their percentages would drop. No one is getting to the paint as easy as now without getting hit. The funny thing is Denver could play a similar way but not win anything because they would be teams much better than them.
    You said but you havent supported your own points or challenged anyone else's. You just say like other people for every modern player they be less effective because of rules. Well who's more effective in a previous era then there has to be some star who benefits? I think it's obvious jokic is a better defender in a previous era and you havent disputed that at all. Defense is the only reason he doesnt have a top 5 peak.

denver wouldnt win because of talent mostly on the defensive side. They're not a very talented team(no bench jokic/murray only all star caliber players). I can still be confident they're the best offense many years in the 90s if you transport their team to the 90s with their modern knowledge of schemes how plus productive the 3pt shot is etc. yes ik MJ played in that era but he's the only one i think is better than jokic offensively. If Karl Malone can lead some of the best offenses in the league with just stockton and role guys, jokic can do better with this denver team.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    You said but you havent supported your own points or challenged anyone else's. You just say like other people for every modern player they be less effective because of rules. Well who's more effective in a previous era then there has to be some star who benefits? I think it's obvious jokic is a better defender in a previous era and you havent disputed that at all. Defense is the only reason he doesnt have a top 5 peak.

denver wouldnt win because of talent mostly on the defensive side. They're not a very talented team(no bench jokic/murray only all star caliber players). I can still be confident they're the best offense many years in the 90s if you transport their team to the 90s with their modern knowledge of schemes how plus productive the 3pt shot is etc. yes ik MJ played in that era but he's the only one i think is better than jokic offensively. If Karl Malone can lead some of the best offenses in the league with just stockton and role guys, jokic can do better with this denver team.
    I already said Jokic would be Mvp caliber but how good do you think he would be? Better than peak Barkley?

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post
    I already said Jokic would be Mvp caliber but how good do you think he would be? Better than peak Barkley?
    yep not even really too debatable for me, they're in different tiers imo. Barkley is a worse defender and worse passer. Might be a bit better at scoring but thats it. when he's had bad teams, barkley can carry them to like .500, jokic carried a trash team to 48 wins +2srs last year. Jordan/Hakeem are the only ones i'm taking over jokic. Drob isnt good enough offensively for me. Realgm had jokic's 2022 as the 16th best peak likely even a little better last year, barkley was around 30th.