Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: How long you reckon the NBA can gatekeep The Cultja?

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    What?

You seem to have misunderstood.

I dont know anything about their political affiliations. And I'm sure that's no coincidence. If they wanted to push divisive political narratives publicly like Kyrie or Jalen Brown, I'm sure they would have done so. But by and large they dont. I think Toody did push back a little bit on vaccines and OMB, which probably made Xiao's head explode. But other than that they're pretty quiet.

Foreign/suburban stars I dont think are going to feel as compelled to just bleet whatever line they think they're supposed to say when pressured to be social/political leaders, despite their only qualification being they play basketball.

And beyond that, I dont know that the Young Kings out there in the fanbase will even be willing to watch stars who dont rep the hood. We all know what type of way Joker makes guys like bdonovan and co feel. It's gonna be awkward having to watch public personalities like Stephen A praise guys like Cooper Flagg and Maxime Raynaud through gritted teeth. We all know Spike Lee isnt gonna be seen at many Knicks games if they end up with a foreign superstar who isnt tryin to raise his fist for George Floyd.

So I'm just saying, it's kind of an awkward time in the NBA. There's clearly a change of image taking place, and it'll be interesting to see how it evolves.
    Don't think Gobert said anything about vaccines? He joked about covid when most of us didn't really know much about it.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el View Post
    I bet growing up in the Balkans produces a lot of the same stressors as growing up in the hood.
    It's been 15-20 years since the Balkans were rough, maybe Albania still is in parts, but Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia are middle class countries that have been booming.

There was a lot of crime in the early 2000s though, particularly from Serbia and Albania. The Serb mafia was known to be absolutely lethal and brutal. They controlled a lot of the international drug trade in Europe (import and distribution), but those guys got old and the younger generations are like younger people anywhere. Soft and genderfluid.

Very good NBA starter

Basketball is a solidly middle class sport in Europe, while in the US it is mostly the opposite. This has always been an interesting clash.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    What?

You seem to have misunderstood.

I dont know anything about their political affiliations. And I'm sure that's no coincidence. If they wanted to push divisive political narratives publicly like Kyrie or Jalen Brown, I'm sure they would have done so. But by and large they dont. I think Toody did push back a little bit on vaccines and OMB, which probably made Xiao's head explode. But other than that they're pretty quiet.

Foreign/suburban stars I dont think are going to feel as compelled to just bleet whatever line they think they're supposed to say when pressured to be social/political leaders, despite their only qualification being they play basketball.

And beyond that, I dont know that the Young Kings out there in the fanbase will even be willing to watch stars who dont rep the hood. We all know what type of way Joker makes guys like bdonovan and co feel. It's gonna be awkward having to watch public personalities like Stephen A praise Cooper Flagg and Maxime Raynaud through gritted teeth. We all know Spike Lee isnt gonna be seen at many Knicks games if they end up with a foreign superstar who isnt tryin to raise his fist for George Floyd. And btw I'm not at all speaking about black people as a collective, so please dont be simple minded and misconstrue me. I'm talking specifically about the people who get real defensive about white/foreign players succeeding in basketball.

So I'm just saying, it's kind of an awkward time in the NBA. There's clearly a change of image taking place, and it'll be interesting to see how it evolves.
    I was just confused about the "woke Democratic puppets" line.

I'm assuming you are meaning they are not puppets for Democrats as opposed to not being puppets that are Democrats .

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44 View Post
    I was just confused about the "woke Democratic puppets" line.

I'm assuming you are meaning they are not puppets for Democrats as opposed to not being puppets that are Democrats .
    Well public figures in general are much less likely to be republican, since it’s a less popular position with the consumer public. It’s no secret the NBA openly pushes Democratic policies and affiliation. Lebron campaigned for Hillary and so on. It’s not that players couldnt or wouldnt be Republican puppets in theory, but in practice it’s just not a common thing.

But my main point is just theres a widespread and well known belief that basketball belongs to “the hood” and that it’s a game for the bruthas. The NBA has absolutely leaned into that idea in recent years in order to sell 300 dollar sneakers to kids who have to steal the money just to pay for them, AND to push political issues it finds useful.

But I think the increasingly obvious reality (Jokic back to back MVPs, Germany winning Fiba championship, Wemby, Chet and Flagg top young prospects) is that flashy ballaz who are more concerned with creating a diamond replica of their face to stick on a chain (hi marquise daniels) do not make the best professional basketball players, despite whatever Spike Lee and Stephen A might wish. When this much money is on the line, it’s going to be the teams with the smartest hardest working players, black, white, or otherwise who rise to the top and succeed. I think teams are finally realizing Gerald Green jumping to the rafters doesnt make him a good basketball player. “Hops” arent a reason to draft a guy in the top 10. It took 25 years but it seems like teams realize that now, and thats really gonna diminish the prospects of a lot of playground ballers who were getting drafted in the lottery in recent decades.

Basketball would seem to be getting a lot less hood going forward. I wonder if the NBA is concerned about that for social, political, or economic reasons.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 11-13-2023 at 06:35 PM.

Anyway I thought of this when I saw a promo for some TNT round table discussion featuring rappers and ballers about the connection between basketball and hip hop, and in the promo it was like “without hip hop, there IS no basketball.”

Im not even kidding, thats the actual quote

And ofc in February the players all wear shirts that say “Built by black history” etc.

Which Im not saying is a big deal if it were actually true, and I have no problem with a diverse league. Obviously I root for a lot of players who are black, as well as a lot of players of other races. But the NBA clearly leans into this narrative that African Americans somehow have first priority status when it comes to basketball.

But with talent scouting being continuously refined and other markets continuing to open up, it looks less and less like theres any basis for that narrative. I dont see how youre gonna sell the NBA as some urban cultural institution when none of the top players reflect that anymore. Once Lebron and KD are gone who will be left of the Black Power generation?

You know it has guys like Draymond and Perkins and co. feelin some type of way.

Very good NBA starter

I don't even think it's the playstyle of the hood, but more the mentality of the hood "get money".

Zion is the best example of this. He's a glorified Anthony Bennet, doesn't really like basketball, has no visible motivation in life higher than eating, whoring and "getting money".

To be fair, those pursuits are fine, but you will get tired of that soon enough. For someone like Zion, he's a very rich and hungry horny man. He can eat and whore until his heart gives out (sooner if he had the vaxx) and not have to play a single game more. And he might just be satisfied with that.

Obvious bdonovan bait thread lol

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    I don't even think it's the playstyle of the hood, but more the mentality of the hood "get money".

Zion is the best example of this. He's a glorified Anthony Bennet, doesn't really like basketball, has no visible motivation in life higher than eating, whoring and "getting money".

To be fair, those pursuits are fine, but you will get tired of that soon enough. For someone like Zion, he's a very rich and hungry horny man. He can eat and whore until his heart gives out (sooner if he had the vaxx) and not have to play a single game more. And he might just be satisfied with that.

I dunno. Zion I feel like is a good dude who’s just a lil mixed up right now and isnt getting very good guidance. I dont think he lacks the aptitude or character to be great. Just needs a lil time to “find himself.”

Im a believer in Mount Zion. (How is this not his nickname already??)