Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: Huffing and puffing

It's kinda funny how the league wants to step in and stop Jokic from drawing shooting fouls when the other team is trying to deliberately foul him in crunch time. Like, what can you do about it really? He was 100% in shooting motion during that last foul. It's cheap and some would say it "goes against the spirit of the game" (lol) but it's still a smart play.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    It's kinda funny how the league wants to step in and stop Jokic from drawing shooting fouls when the other team is trying to deliberately foul him in crunch time. Like, what can you do about it really? He was 100% in shooting motion during that last foul. It's cheap and some would say it "goes against the spirit of the game" (lol) but it's still a smart play.
    This one was not even cheap. When he is trying it with 20 seconds on the shot clock and under his own basket it's against the spirit of the game so to speak but when it's a close game with a few seconds left and he tries to take the shot (he tried taking this one) it's just a blown call. Okay he didn't want to take it desperately but it was a shooting foul.

How many of his shots were blocked by Wemby? At least 3. Maybe more. This is something he will have to learn to better deal with in the years to come. The Spurs will not be out of the playoffs for long.
    Last edited by elementally morale; 04-02-2024 at 11:50 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post

How many of his shots were blocked by Wemby? At least 3. Maybe more. This is something he will have to learn to better deal with in the years to come. The Spurs will not be out of the playoffs for long.
    I suspect that's why we got three dunks in one quarter from him. He seemed, uncharacteristically, unaware of Wemby on the chase down block near the end of the game. I was surprised that he didn't dunk that one as well. Also, he used a little step-back jump hook twice in a row that worked quite well. Moreover, it seems like his sore wrist is having an impact on his outside shot, which is limiting what he can do against someone like Wemby.

It's pretty amazing how much Wemby's presence is altering teams' offenses. Right now, I have the feeling that teams are willing to attack him, boosting his blocked shot numbers, because they don't see the Spurs as a threat. When he gets a decent team around him, I expect his impact on the game to increase, even as his blocked shot numbers go down.

One last point: Joker's 42/16/6 on a relatively poor shooting night of 56% is simply ho-hum at this point. Greatness for him at this point is simply on another level than greatness for almost anyone else in the league (possible exceptions are Luka and Embiid).

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt View Post

One last point: Joker's 42/16/6 on a relatively poor shooting night of 56%

One last point: Joker's 42/16/6 on a relatively poor shooting night of 56% is simply ho-hum at this point. Greatness for him at this point is simply on another level than greatness for almost anyone else in the league (possible exceptions are Luka and Embiid).
    He is missing almost everything from outside the paint now. If his shot (wrist) doesn't improve soon we will see a lot more bullyball (traditional center play) from him. I think Wemby blocking him a few times was the result of Wemby not giving up on the play. Jokic got used to most centers giving up on the play after one or two fakes and good moves and he became a bit lazy. So it's a good wake-up call.

The two best defenders in the NBA are Gobert and Wemby. Both are big men. As is Jokic. After 42 points against the Spurs in a lesser performance he came up with 41 on 16-20 from the field against the Wolves in a great game. So in a week he scored 42 and 41 against the best defense available and he is not even known 'for his scoring'.

That's 83 points on 52 shots with 12 points coming off of FTs. So 71 points on 52 shots. Isn't that a 73.2 TS%? (No. The way TS% is calculated it's actually 69.2% but the way I calculated it makes more sense, I'd say.) Against the two best defenders while he is more of a playmaker than a true scorer. Being out of shape (or not) this is pretty good.

The two best defenders in the NBA are Gobert and Wemby. Both are big men. As is Jokic. After 42 points against the Spurs in a lesser performance he came up with 41 on 16-20 from the field against the Wolves in a great game. So in a week he scored 42 and 41 against the best defense available and he is not even known 'for his scoring'.

That's 83 points on 52 shots with 12 points coming off of FTs. So 71 points on 52 shots. Isn't that a 73.2 TS%? (No. The way TS% is calculated it's actually 69.2% but the way I calculated it makes more sense, I'd say.) Against the two best defenders while he is more of a playmaker than a true scorer. Being out of shape (or not) this is pretty good.

To be fair those guys are known as the best team defenders, because of their range when protecting the rim against players coming from various angles. Theyre not known as man to man 'lockdown' defenders.

Someone like Draymond with a stouter base and more perimeter mobility is gonna fair better than those guys guarding Jokic one on one. Not that Jokic doesnt still get his points against Dray, but I think it takes more effort to do so and hes not quite as efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    To be fair those guys are known as the best team defenders, because of their range when protecting the rim against players coming from various angles. Theyre not known as man to man 'lockdown' defenders.

Someone like Draymond with a stouter base and more perimeter mobility is gonna fair better than those guys guarding Jokic one on one. Not that Jokic doesnt still get his points against Dray, but I think it takes more effort to do so and hes not quite as efficient.
    Draymond uploaded a video of himself telling the world he could do nothing after a game they played this season. But he may still be the best option one on one. Not sure. You can't really guard Jokic. It's strange because he seems like someone you absolutely can contain but it's deceiving. Looks slow but last night he had at least 3 possessions he left Gobert wondering where he disappeared.

Draymond uploaded a video of himself telling the world he could do nothing after a game they played this season. But he may still be the best option one on one. Not sure. You can't really guard Jokic. It's strange because he seems like someone you absolutely can contain but it's deceiving. Looks slow but last night he had at least 3 possessions he left Gobert wondering where he disappeared.
    Bam has sometimes done a good job denying him the ball and frustrating Denver from getting into the offense. Nurcic seems to cause him some problems. Minnesota did better on him earlier in the year with Towns playing primary defense and Gobert helping on the weak side.

Last night, the best they managed was to take away Gordon from the Joker/Murray/Gordon triumvirate, thus forcing Joker to be a scorer. That kept the game close until the Denver D stepped up and they got to pick up the pace. (Braun and Watson were amazing last night, and very scary for the rest of the league if that is foreshadowing of the playoffs.)

Jokic played 41 and a half minutes, the most by far on either team. 27/20/10
    The team was basically missing everything. If they make half of their wide open looks it's a 30/20/20 game. It wasn't, but if anyone says Jokic is out of shape I don't know what they are watching.

Miracle win. After having an awful game, Murray stepped up and won it in the last 90 seconds. On an all time great buzzer beater, too.

Jokic played 41 and a half minutes, the most by far on either team. 27/20/10
    The team was basically missing everything. If they make half of their wide open looks it's a 30/20/20 game. It wasn't, but if anyone says Jokic is out of shape I don't know what they are watching.

Miracle win. After having an awful game, Murray stepped up and won it in the last 90 seconds. On an all time great buzzer beater, too.
    These last games looked like the basketball version of rope-a-dope. Both games, the Lakers came out ferociously and then faded as they got gassed. It’s at least partially true that Jokic helped turn these games through his superior conditioning.

What everyone is missing, however, is that all that has happened so far is that the Nuggets have held home court advantage. This game was incredible, and a blast to watch. But, as Kenny Smith likes to say, the series doesn’t start until there is an elimination game.

What everyone is missing, however, is that all that has happened so far is that the Nuggets have held home court advantage.
    True. But I have a tough time imagining the Lakers playing better than this game after tonight's loss. And Denver was really bad until the last 4-5 minutes left in the 3rd. This seemed to be the Lakers best chance to build momentum. They almost have, but instead got their hearts broken. Will be very hard to snap out of it.

True. But I have a tough time imagining the Lakers playing better than this game after tonight's loss. And Denver was really bad until the last 4-5 minutes left in the 3rd. This seemed to be the Lakers best chance to build momentum. They almost have, but instead got their hearts broken. Will be very hard to snap out of it.
    The Lakers supposedly have championship DNA. They should be able to snap out of this and still play well, but I suspect you are probably right.

When I said everyone was missing my point, it’s clear at least that Malone knows better. Hopefully, the Nuggets don’t approach the Lakers like they have already got them beat. The one thing that has troubled me about the Nuggets this year is that they have rarely put teams away when they’ve had fairly big leads. I doubt that same laxness will carry over to series, but won’t know until I see it.

After the first series and first 5 games of the playoffs, against the Lakers and especially Anthony Davis:

28.2 points
    16.2 rebounds
    9.8 assists
    59.1% from the field
    92.6% from the FT line
    EFF: 44.4

And he was not his usual self at times.

After the first series and first 5 games of the playoffs, against the Lakers and especially Anthony Davis:

28.2 points
    16.2 rebounds
    9.8 assists
    59.1% from the field
    92.6% from the FT line
    EFF: 44.4

And he was not his usual self at times.
    Too many turnovers - seven in the last game. His team defense is excellent, but he was a liability here when they could truly iso him. I don’t see the latter against any of the likely future opponents. In each of the wins, Jokic took advantage of his superior condition. Just imagine what it would be like if he got in shape.