View Poll Results: Do you care about the In Season Tournament?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's interesting

11 28.21%
  • lol Absolutely not.

28 71.79%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who here is actually intrigued by the In Season Tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    only the final two teams play extra games
    I would be the monkey.

Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who here is actually intrigued by the In Season Tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    An automatic playoffs bid may work well.
    that would be fun.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    When the tournament is over and the season resumes as if it never happened, everyone will see how much of a waste of time this was. It will be great for the players that won the extra $500k, but nobody else is going to give a shit.

What does winning this cup even say about a team? Like okay congrats you won the cup, and? What does that mean? Winning a championship after a grueling post season signals to the world that you were able to compete with the absolute best of the best, endure multiple rounds of escalating pressure and intensity... and ultimately be the last ones standing.

What does winning this tournament prove? That you were able to win a random string of one off games sprinkled throughout the first quarter of the regular season? I mean... cool I guess? Is that really something worth celebrating and commemorating? Like I said earlier, I can almost envision a scenario where the players and coaches will be ashamed if they get caught celebrating too hard. Because ultimately this thing isn't going to matter.
    I think we will have to see what happens over the next few seasons. For example, a lot of people credit the Suns turnaround to their performance in the bubble. I could see this being a spring board for certain teams. Personally i like the pressure it will put on the winner because you dont want to win the cup and lose in the playoffs

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

To be fair trying to explain even the most basic concepts to you is like teaching calculus to a monkey.
    Yawn. You hold onto grudges like your life depends on it.

Most of the courts looks awesome. I hope they make some of them permanent or repeat them. Bulls, 76ers and Suns are especially nice.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    fans like to brag about the high ratings of something they watched and to talk shit about the low ratings of things they donít care about because of the sheep mentality. They want to be in the herd. The NBA doesnít get paid by ratings. The nba gets paid by right fees. The NBA gets paid when some corporate entity pays them for the right to air these games.

Last I read YouTube was bidding to get exclusive rights on the tourney finals in the future. And the corporations donít even use traditional ratings. They just want you to pay for their streaming service. It makes zero difference to their bottom line if you actually watch anything. hell everyone tuning in at the same time crashes some of these things. All they care about is having a compelling enough list of things to air that you keep paying the subscription fee. All the NBA cares about is that a company pays them to be part of the package that keeps them getting subscription fees.

youíre stuck with an old-school idea of where the money comes from. ESPN was by a huge margin the most profitable segment of all Disney business. Thatís because no service can be taken serious without access to live sports. The rights fees reflect that. As long as people arenít happy to watch days old sporting events thatís going to continue.

you need live sports and everyone is fighting to take over the hundreds of billions that come from subscription fees long-term. The Dome company agrees to pay the NBA $1 billion for this tournament for 10 years is the day they completely stop caring about the ratings for it. Itís entirely possible is going to air somewhere that doesnít even have traditional ratings.

and companies were bidding on it before the games were even played. Itís a content business, not a quality engaging content business. It doesnít have to be good or even popular. It just has to exist as a separate entity another corporation will pay you the rights for.

Whatís the overhead? Whatever it cost to paint the extra tournament floors and whatever they pay their graphics people?

Theyíre taking games they would have to play Anyway, and marketing them as an entirely separate entity to be purchased standalone. Itís actually pretty brilliant.
    A lot of what you're saying is true but that doesn't change the fact there is a major effort to manufacture hype and pull the wool over the eyes of true basketball fans by feeding us this absolute crap.

You know so badly that someone like Barkley would love a segment where they could roast this meaningless garbage. Instead we have every commentator and analyst trying extremely hard to convince us that they care and find it so fascinating. You have guys like Harlan and Brian Anderson calling the TNT games like it's Game 7 and trying to overcall things so they can land in a commercial or something. Much like Shaq's "are you not entertained!?!?" soundbite that just never dies. Reggie howling like he's watching a Dream Team scrimmage or something when it's just a random bench player with a reverse layup or an open 3. Too much corporate appeasement and artificial enthusiasm for me. The masquerade that it's so competitive when even blowout losses are played up like they are "changing the landscape" of the tournament because of point differential... as if that hides the fact it was an uncompetitive, pointless blowout and that's it. Pretty hard not to make it look competitive when you're ascribing such lofty meaning to total beatdown blowouts. It's repulsive. The courts don't look good. The stakes are trivial, and this will be looked at no different than a team winning the Summer League unless it is changed. Who gives a ****?

Will it be looked at as a success? Sure...but no different than, say, a YouTube clickbait video made by a kid that was incredibly dumb and still managed to get 15 million views and generate buckets of ad money. It's not hard to make something a "success" if that's the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Who here is like me and still doesn't know or understand the first thing about how this tournament works??
    To be fair trying to explain even the most basic concepts to you is like teaching calculus to a monkey.

Apparently already the success they hoped for, we'll hear about every revenue benefit it brings I'm sure. I imagine after it becomes a tradition the meaning of it will be for the accolade lists, kinda like the euro guys IST cup champ, mvp etc. X times. Thinking ahead it will definitely give a different view on player/,team dynamics in the single elimination phase. 1 game matchups is a different world from 7 game series, should be fun.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Youre being pedantic.

When I say ratings I mean it as a catch-all for general fan interest, not as a specific mode of measurement.

And yes that does determine the long term value of these things. There's a reason the Pro Bowling Tour doesnt get these kinds of tv deals, and it isnt because company executives made some empirical decision that basketball is a better sport.

Companies are bidding on the rights to sports based on expected demand for viewership. The expectation fans will subscribe to their service or sit through their commercials or whatever because they want to see that sport. The deals they're bidding on today are based on expectations over the next five years. But if nobody watches over the next five years, what do you think happens to the value of the NBA product at the next negotiation??

You literally just argued that "The NBA doesnt care if anyone watches."

They don’t care if anyone watches more than the normal games that would be in a their place.

The negotiation after this one is going to be long past ratings being the determining factor. Companies are making more money with less ratings at this point because so many of them can get direct subscribers, which is how ESPN makes more money for Disney than their entire entertainment business. ESPN gets a few dollars for every single person in America who has cable because people won’t stand for not having that access even if they don’t watch the games individually. My cable box isn’t even connected to the TV. But if my cable service lost access to live sports, I would cancel it.

The nba has three times the revenue now with worse ratings than 10-15 years ago. The difference is far greater than inflation. The difference is figuring out that the right to air your games and show your highlights is more valuable than high ratings that go to advertising sales you don’t get a piece of.

And despite declining traditional ratings far more companies are getting in on the game because they can horn in on the cable subscription model, which allows you to make a little bit of money From hundreds of millions of people at the same time instead of relying on ads which are dependent on ratings.

The people making these decisions talk about retention rate, not ratings because how many people watch don’t matter how many people pay you every month for the option to watch matters. You just need to be able to say you have live sports to be a serious player. The NBA doesn’t need these games to get better ratings than the regular games that would already be played. They just need a separate entity they can sell to somebody else without losing their existing deals. They turned games that already existed to a separate entity they can sell again.

Google Won’t pay $1 billion because they expect ad revenue when YouTube TV has exclusive access to the finals of this tournament. Google will pay a billion So when you click the sign up for YouTube TV, the NBA is one of the logos in the channels section trying to entice you to give them $10 a month till the day you die.

they need the NBA logo to go next to the NFL one they get to display because they pay for Sunday ticket and red zone now. They’re going to need to be able to put the college football playoff logo as well. Which is why they expanded to 12 teams. They can sell the first round to another streaming service.

you’re talking like it’s 1983. The networks who were so concerned about ratings decades ago are now just subsidiaries of giant companies who have moved most of their interests toward digital subscription. Paramount and CBS are like half the companies. Disney is probably 20% of the rest. Then hbo/discovery/warner. NBC folds a bunch in with Peacock and so on. Then you have Amazon, Apple, and Google who have to spend big money to play catch-up because they don’t have pre-existing networks to transition to the new business model.

Long story short, these games don’t exist to increase ratings of the regular season. They exist to create a separate entity out of already existing content to create a new league business partner.

it’s going to be Apple, Amazon, or YouTube. One of the new players who are all spending billions on content. It’s all in 10 year cycles. Who knows where it will be by next time. Elon Musk is already asking for volunteers for brain chips. In 50 years you might subscribe to a service from a company that doesn’t exist yet that can transmit the memory of having watched the game to your mind without you having to take the time out of your day to do so.

And people will still be talking about ratings while these billion dollar companies become trillion dollar companies having direct access implanted in the brain of every American.

Theyre selling this to companies that don’t run ads….theyre after a billion internet impressions not 7 million viewers in front of a tv.

A massive segment of their target audience doesn’t even watch tv. They watch TikTok, Instagram, highlights, and stream a little content before bed. Traditional ratings come from people who will age out of the market in a few years.

They wanna see the tourney finals trending on Twitter. How many live viewers it got will be reported if it’s a big number but not cared about internally.

I was listening to a baseball executive Explain exactly that to the former head of ESPN on the show they do. They have less viewers than ever, but make more money than ever. The ratings drop and the money rises and they all figured out why.

Ratings pay networks. Networks are near dead and live sports is all that’s keeping them afloat. They have the golden ticket to move subscribers from one platform to the next version. How many people use it when the 9.99 clears is immaterial. Like I said…the bidders sell a service that doesn’t air ADs to begin with. The whole way we judge performance has to change.

NBA lottery pick

Its a gimmick unless everyone is playing same level competition.

Local High School Star

I think it's fun

Quote Originally Posted by Proctor View Post
    A lot of what you're saying is true but that doesn't change the fact there is a major effort to manufacture hype and pull the wool over the eyes of true basketball fans by feeding us this absolute crap.

You know so badly that someone like Barkley would love a segment where they could roast this meaningless garbage. Instead we have every commentator and analyst trying extremely hard to convince us that they care and find it so fascinating. You have guys like Harlan and Brian Anderson calling the TNT games like it's Game 7 and trying to overcall things so they can land in a commercial or something. Much like Shaq's "are you not entertained!?!?" soundbite that just never dies. Reggie howling like he's watching a Dream Team scrimmage or something when it's just a random bench player with a reverse layup or an open 3. Too much corporate appeasement and artificial enthusiasm for me. The masquerade that it's so competitive when even blowout losses are played up like they are "changing the landscape" of the tournament because of point differential... as if that hides the fact it was an uncompetitive, pointless blowout and that's it. Pretty hard not to make it look competitive when you're ascribing such lofty meaning to total beatdown blowouts. It's repulsive. The courts don't look good. The stakes are trivial, and this will be looked at no different than a team winning the Summer League unless it is changed. Who gives a ****?

Will it be looked at as a success? Sure...but no different than, say, a YouTube clickbait video made by a kid that was incredibly dumb and still managed to get 15 million views and generate buckets of ad money. It's not hard to make something a "success" if that's the standard.
    Are you ok?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Are you ok?
    hasn't been the same since Greg Monroe flamed out a 2nd time

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Are you ok?
    He's completely right. It's fine if you're entertained but don't say people who see this for what is is are "melting down" for pointing out facts.