Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Another rediscovered coach/executive poll from the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    Man that Stockton take aged like milk...but I see it's 1991
    I don’t think a question about right now can age poorly because of the future. They weren’t asked to project who would have the better career. They couldn’t know he’d only have one more healthy season till 1997. He was all nba over Stockton that year. That said….Stockton had a much better series when they played.

Either way it wasn’t some weird question at the time it just sounds like it 30 years later when Stockton got all the records and KJ only had like 4-5 great healthy years.

It’s kinda like Mark Price. He was all nba over both of them but only had like 1 more healthy season. Life’s a bitch.

Local High School Star Shaquille O'Neal's Avatar

I remember when MJ retired the first time, and the league / media was pumping up Barkley to be the next "main guy" of the league. They constantly ran that "I am not a role model" quote in commercials. Another Barkley commercial I remember had Chuck doing his own talk show, complete with Salt N' Pepa's "Whatta man" playing in the background (it was 94 after all).
    To be 20 again...man.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I don’t think a question about right now can age poorly because of the future. They weren’t asked to project who would have the better career. They couldn’t know he’d only have one more healthy season till 1997. He was all nba over Stockton that year. That said….Stockton had a much better series when they played.

Either way it wasn’t some weird question at the time it just sounds like it 30 years later when Stockton got all the records and KJ only had like 4-5 great healthy years.

It’s kinda like Mark Price. He was all nba over both of them but only had like 1 more healthy season. Life’s a bitch.
    They didn't value the 14 APG line that Stockton broke (and would never be broken again). KJ is a fine player and all but this contextualizes stats.

High School Starter

These are serious people making lots of money with serious takes. Don't question them. They're always right. Fans are always wrong. I would always take the word of the front offices or players over ALL fans any day of the week.

And who are you? Some dumb fat slob posting on the internet. Ha! These guys did this for a living! No fans that post on any of these sites are smarter and know more than these people. This is their craft! You're just some dumb dumb!

High School Starter

For the record, since you're "skipping my posts now", the entire point of the trolling is to utterly hammer home the fact that appealing to authority and citing someone's opinion, at the end of the day, doesn't mean jack shit.

Yes, your prototypical GM or prototypical player knows more than your prototypical fan. Of course that's true. And of course the general consensus among most fans is often wrong, just as it is often wrong in these offices and teams.

But someone else's opinion should not be something you are citing during any of these specific discussions. It's just lazy idiocy, to be blunt.

That is the entire point. Do not cite someone else's opinion as "proof" of jack shit. Because it isn't. Opinions are like assholes, and just because one person said something or one group of people said something, doesn't make it true. It might be more often statistically true than the other person's or other group's', but it's definitely no where near an absolute.

GMs and players aren't right >99% of the time which is exactly what some of you pretend they are when you're trying to win an argument and they happen to agree with you.

It's just straight up laziness and refusing to do your own thinking and explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    They didn't value the 14 APG line that Stockton broke (and would never be broken again). KJ is a fine player and all but this contextualizes stats.

The previous season Hakeem put up 24 points 14 rebounds, five blocks and two steals a game. He wasn’t all NBA first team. That doesn’t mean people didn’t value what he did. It means there are a lot of great players at the same time. The same group of people were polled that year and named Stockton the second smartest player in the league after Bird.

Decent college freshman

Wow, the voters fell flat on their face in the Spud v. Bogues poll.

Was that taken right after Spud won the dunk contest or something?

High School Varsity 6th Man meat's Avatar

Dell Curry are you OK? You seem to be yelling at a wall or something.

Very good NBA starter

What this shows is that every year there are a lot of good players, but with time, most of them get forgotten and generations that never watched them come to call them scrubs and so on.

Yes, Kevin Johnson was a very high level player, he was definitely one of the more exciting players in the league, crazy athleticism. People just don't remember him.

Kendall Gill, right there, another shooting guard that was very good and that MJ went against, but people don't remember.

It's this way all around.

I was surprised to see the Duckworth question. The blazers were running wild, so maybe he was a bigger deal than usual for a little while but I don’t remember him being all that highly regarded. More highly regarded than he appears when you look at his stats, but his stats are terrible so that isn’t saying much.

I don’t remember many comparisons between him and the other star centers. He was just another good player on a team full of them. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of anyone asking a Kevin Duckworth versus such and such All-Star center question before now.
    Kevin Duckworth has by far the worst advanced stats of any all-star I'm aware of. No one else is even remotely close. What was he even good at? Chucking up too many shots I guess.

Who's become more overrated in retirement, Reggie or Dirk?

Dirk was always considered elite. He was an MVP and an mvp runner up. Reggie was ranked next to guys history doesn’t even remember but might actually be more famous than Dirk.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Dirk was always considered elite. He was an MVP and an mvp runner up. Reggie was ranked next to guys history doesn’t even remember but might actually be more famous than Dirk.

You stay Playa hating on Reggie.

He must've pissed you off back in the day with his playoff antics.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer View Post
    Who's become more overrated in retirement, Reggie or Dirk?
    Reggie obviously.

National High School Star

I remember having an argument on this forum not long ago regarding John Stockton and how historically overrated he's become. I was met with pushback but these old discussions pretty much affirm my argument.

I don't take pleasure in saying that because he's actually one of my favorite players of all time, but the reality is that while he was playing he never really "separated" himself from the other elite PG's. He was arguably the best but never definitively the best.