Banned

Default Does anyone here collect / invest / dabble in sports cards?

Just curious, figured some of you did.

Although the market has cooled down significantly since the pandemic and all the pumpers have moved onto something else, I really can't get over at how much money people are willing to "invest" in rookies and unproven prospects. Five sometimes even six figures on cards that will no doubt be worthless in years time.

Default Re: Does anyone here collect / invest / dabble in sports cards?

@kenneth

real or fake? cuz kenny dabbles in replicas

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I used to years ago in the early 90's before all these special insert cards and reflectors started becoming a thing. It became too expensive and finding these cards were so rare that you had to almost always buy them from a store that was selling them individually rather than in a pack. I still look for rare stuff from time to time. The last time I spent big bucks on a card was to complete my Pete Maravich collection. All I was missing was his RC and I found it on ebay for around $90.

I'm also not interested in grading. All my valuable cards are in a box in a closet somewhere and hopefully I'll get to pass that down to my kids one day or sell them down the road.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    I used to years ago in the early 90's before all these special insert cards and reflectors started becoming a thing. It became too expensive and finding these cards were so rare that you had to almost always buy them from a store that was selling them individually rather than in a pack. I still look for rare stuff from time to time. The last time I spent big bucks on a card was to complete my Pete Maravich collection. All I was missing was his RC and I found it on ebay for around $90.

I'm also not interested in grading. All my valuable cards are in a box in a closet somewhere and hopefully I'll get to pass that down to my kids one day or sell them down the road.
    Grading itself serves a purpose, but the grading companies themselves are a different story. The entire concept of "gem mint" is a huge scam and all it does is artificially inflate the value of cards.

Having said that, if you're thinking about selling your collection or possibly handing it down, you should really think about getting your stuff graded because in most cases it will increase the value. So long as the cards aren't totally beat up and you don't think they will get really low grades.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth View Post
    @kenneth

This is kenneth dumb dumb

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth View Post
    @kenneth
    Lol where is he nowadays

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

worked with a guy that had about 50,000 cards... he'd go thru a shoe box , riff thru them and grade them like a boss.

Never saw one of them you could actually touch.

I never collected any sport cards, but I've made a bundle selling magic the gathering and pokemon cards I bought as a kid in the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    This is kenneth dumb dumb
    You're really fkn stupid

Cracked a hobby box of Hoops last night. The disappointment was real. Real real. What a ****in' waste of money lol.

The highlights were a couple Wemby rcs, a LeBron common player card and some not so impressive looking inserts. Oh, and a D'Moi Hodge signature redemption.

Should have just donated that money to Red Cross or something.

Banned

The gamblers and speculators are going crazy over Wemby. I'm sorry these idiots are insane.

2023-24 Prizm WEMBY Victor Wembanyama Jersey Match Blue Shimmer 1/35 Spurs #136

For those that don't follow the sports card hobby, this is a somewhat rare variant of one of his rookie cards. However it's not close to being his rarest or most sought after card. Even if you were a Wemby or Spurs super collector, this is far from being a must have in the collection. It's just another rare variant out of several and it's not even a color match.

Probably going to end at around $12-13k. Realistically this card should be worth a few hundred dollars.

It only proves how hyped he really is. But if that's how much it's gonna cost, then they should have made a much better design.