I don't get picked last at the park anymore RachlNicholsazz's Avatar

Default The chicken or the egg. Players that go to the GLeague over college hurt b/c of it?

Or were they just mentally weak players to begin with and that's why they made the bad decision to chose it over college?

Jonathan Kuminga
    Jalen Green
    Scoot Henderson

They all seem to be underperforming. In college they are under the bright lights, there is immense pressure to win, the fans are big crowds and crazy. The pressure and spotlight tends to weed out the overhyped players who can't handle it. In the GLeague the crowds are smaller and the fans aren't rabid like they are in college and also the NBA. There's probably less pressure than there was in high school depending on where they went.

So does the G League hurt the players chances in acclimating to the NBA? Or would college have exposed them plus the type of player that forgoes college to get paid a few bucks(comparatively speaking) already sort of a mentally weak individual? Most European players are not in this discussion because they join pro teams with crazy crowds at a young age

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: The chicken or the egg. Players that go to the GLeague over college hurt b/c of i

After a month its a bit early to say Scoot is under performing.

I'd say it depends on the player but it makes little sense to go to college for a semester if you just want to play basketball. Would Scoot be better if he had been going to school instead of working on his game for two years?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: The chicken or the egg. Players that go to the GLeague over college hurt b/c of i

Nowhere near enough of a sample size. What is mentally strong or weak about picking college or G League to begin with? You think this is about crowd size? These players are trying to get to the NBA, that's nonsense. You are going off over a mere 3 players when Green isn't even that bad and Henderson is way too early to judge.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Puma wanted to launch a Scoot Henderson signature shoe, officially dubbing them the Scoot Zeros. “I knew right away, honestly,” Henderson now says of the historical significance. “When they told me, I said, ‘There’s not many players that have shoes, coming into the league.’ And he’s right. When the Trail Blazers’ No. 3 pick took the floor for his very first NBA game in October, he became just the seventh player in league history to rock their own signature shoe in their rookie debut game.

– via Nick DePaula @ boardroom.tv

would he have his own shoe?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore RachlNicholsazz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Nowhere near enough of a sample size. What is mentally strong or weak about picking college or G League to begin with? You think this is about crowd size? These players are trying to get to the NBA, that's nonsense. You are going off over a mere 3 players when Green isn't even that bad and Henderson is way too early to judge.
    I do. You don't think the crazy college crowds prepare players for the pressure of performing on the court in the NBA? Their vocal expectations alone has to be a burden on players that care about winning. There might be even more pressure to win on blue chip college players than NBA players. They definitely don't get that in the G League

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachlNicholsazz View Post
    I do. You don't think the crazy college crowds prepare players for the pressure of performing on the court in the NBA? Their vocal expectations alone has to be a burden on players that care about winning. There might be even more pressure to win on blue chip college players than NBA players. They definitely don't get that in the G League
    crowds is a minor part of it, it’s more getting used to gearing up for big games and executing.

NBA All-star

I'd say most 5 star recruits out of high school can play roughly 3 positions on a national level. I can't imagine why someone who could play all 5 would care for college much, but it all takes time to level up on your versatility.

Kuminga is like 7th pick. Jalen has been decent this season. Scoot is worst player of all time but only 10 games in.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachlNicholsazz View Post
    Practicing free throws prepares players for the NBA. Ballhandling drills, learning defensive rotations, film study, weight training... there are a lot of things that go into how good a player is. You aren't analyzing their skills, decision making, work ethic...really anything. You just think whatever is wrong with them is all between the ears. And at a point where their careers absolutely should not be judged no less. You have a 19 year-old as a complete failure after 10 games because you think he chose G League over college because he was scared of crowds. You aren't making any sense. If a guy can't play in front of crowds he can't be on any team at any level over junior high and he's certainly not going to try to join the NBA.