Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Lakers to hang banner honoring NBA Cup win

Fun fact, the undefeated '72 Dolphins were actually Vegas underdogs in the super bowl.

Good college starter ELITEpower23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Great win but still feeling pretty meh about it overall.

However, it was enough to cause meltdowns on the hating fools so it's amusing too at least.
    7-0 slick. Didn't lose a single game.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist View Post
    Even the great LA Lakers are hanging banners for regular season wins against mediocre opponents. Cleveland I can see. Maybe Milwaukee. LA Clippers, possibly. But the Los Angeles Lakers, winners of umptenth *real* titles? Home of Wilt, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Kobe and Shaq? I thought they and Boston would be the last ones raising a banner for this.

Jordan tards are melting down so hard. Eat shit.

High School Starter lxlHoTsAuSelxl's Avatar

My second thought I'm for it. Like what Lebron said, who can say they were the first to win the IST but the Lakers. They NBA also need LA to put up that IST banner if they want it to be successful.

Obviously it helps the NBA for the Lakers to validate the NBA Cup by hanging a banner. If they Lakers refused to do it, and another team like the Orlando Magic win it next, then it will look bad on them to hang a banner because it implies the Lakers are too good for a banner and Orlando is not. If the NBA wants the teams to continue to take it seriously then it has to be validated across the board.

Also old heads will complain just to complain. The tournament may not last but it's not like it's interfering or impacting the regular season format in anyway, except that its gotten teams to play harder, for November/December games which is a W for basketball fans. In other words, at it's worst, the NBA cup is merely 'harmless fun'

High School Varsity 6th Man meat's Avatar

Question for Laker fans. Would you buy a IST Championship shirt or hat?

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    Obviously it helps the NBA for the Lakers to validate the NBA Cup by hanging a banner. If they Lakers refused to do it, and another team like the Orlando Magic win it next, then it will look bad on them to hang a banner because it implies the Lakers are too good for a banner and Orlando is not. If the NBA wants the teams to continue to take it seriously then it has to be validated across the board.

Also old heads will complain just to complain. The tournament may not last but it's not like it's interfering or impacting the regular season format in anyway, except that its gotten teams to play harder, for November/December games which is a W for basketball fans. In other words, at it's worst, the NBA cup is merely 'harmless fun'
    +1

People whined about NBA players and fans aren't taking the regular season seriously before the all star break.

So NBA did IST to boost regular season game importance.

Now haters are whining that these games don't matter.

Jokic Stan

Holy shit that is lame AF

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    I'm more interested in how this IST will be looked at 20 years from now. Will it be more popular and will fans/teams hold it to a higher regard? I'm pretty sure nobody gave a shit about the FMVP when it was introduced.

When the Dolphins went undefeated in 1972 it wasn't even a big deal back then to the players and some fans, now it's a big deal and the players from that team just ran with it.
    Maybe if the games were all in a row then it would mean something. When it is this day it is tournament game and the next two are regular games and then next is tournament, etc how can anyone take seriously.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Jordan tards are melting down so hard. Eat shit.

This is like Purdue celebrating Maui Invitational while losing in NCAAB tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Silver 100% bullied them into this. He is obsessed with his terrible ideas.
    this was Stern's idea (from the mid-2000s) passed onto Silver

Quote Originally Posted by r15mohd View Post
    this was Stern's idea (from the mid-2000s) passed onto Silver
    Stern was a corrupt dickbag but damn Silver annoys me more in some ways. Stern is worse overall because of what a piece of shit he was to the players but I think Silver is worse for the actual on court product. Also I think Silver isn't much less of a dick than Stern, he's just more emotionally intelligent and calculating. Stern was kind of a cranky old man who let his emotions get the best of him.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Dallas should hang a banner to commemorate beating a team that is hanging a banner.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Dallas should hang a banner to commemorate beating a team that is hanging a banner.
    The fact that the tourney was one day a game is played and the next is a regular game and then another is a tournament and then another a regular makes it gimmicy. Lakers lost by 44 and 23 during that time but those don't count. If the tourney was real then the brackets shouldn't just be random but rather based on seedings from season before perhaps.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kawhileonard2 View Post
    The fact that the tourney was one day a game is played and the next is a regular game and then another is a tournament and then another a regular makes it gimmicy. Lakers lost by 44 and 23 during that time but those don't count. If the tourney was real then the brackets shouldn't just be random but rather based on seedings from season before perhaps.
    The tournament made the NBA money and got attention. It worked. Get over it. And I am especially irritated that your whiny garbage has me defending James and the Lakers. Shut up.