Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Kawhi deserves to enter the MVP conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Stephonit View Post
    What did Steph's teammates accomplish without him? In comparison Harden was an MVP and Paul George third in MVP voting without Kawhi.
    Umm, mcgee won a ring four years ago and then you have patrick mccaw who was part of a team that prevented your hero from three-peating in 2019...

Quote Originally Posted by basketballcat View Post
    How many DPOYs does AI have? How many times has AI led defenses on players like Giannis?

Payton led the league in steals.

There are players where steals is a meaningless stat. There are players where steals mean something. Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows which group Kawhi belongs to.
    The last time Kawhi won DPOY was 8 years ago. IMO, he shouldn't have been selected to the All-Def team in 2021.

As for his defense on Giannis, did you watch that series? From a post on Reddit:

"his defense was honestly way better in 2020 than 2019, he was coasting on D in 2019 because he had a phenomenal raptors defense at every single position that could cover for him defensively (and needed his offensive expertise), but in 2020 the clippers' defensive cast was poorer so he locked in on D much more

even that "giannis lockdown" series was a little overrated, yes he was good as a primary defender but what really slowed giannis down was the "wall", the double teams from siakam/gasol/lowry etc. https://youtu.be/L-EPx-v1XIY

miami rebooted the concept in 2020 https://mikeprada.substack.com/p/stunt-doubles"

I'm not calling him a bad defender or anything either. I called him a good one, but not elite.

Literally only 3 players have more steals. That's way above just "good".
    Steals are usually about bad passes or tipped balls than it is about pickpocketing or clean strips.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987 View Post
    The last time Kawhi won DPOY was 8 years ago. IMO, he shouldn't have been selected to the All-Def team in 2021.

As for his defense on Giannis, did you watch that series? From a post on Reddit:

"his defense was honestly way better in 2020 than 2019, he was coasting on D in 2019 because he had a phenomenal raptors defense at every single position that could cover for him defensively (and needed his offensive expertise), but in 2020 the clippers' defensive cast was poorer so he locked in on D much more

even that "giannis lockdown" series was a little overrated, yes he was good as a primary defender but what really slowed giannis down was the "wall", the double teams from siakam/gasol/lowry etc. https://youtu.be/L-EPx-v1XIY

miami rebooted the concept in 2020 https://mikeprada.substack.com/p/stunt-doubles"

I'm not calling him a bad defender or anything either. I called him a good one, but not elite.
    Wow, reddit. What a great source. Lol.

Raptors were down 0-2. Did you actually watch that series. As usual, they hid their star (Kawhi) on defense. Siakam and the rest were hapless against Giannis.

Then Raptors switched it up. Kawhi led the defense on Giannis. Difference was night and day. On multiple possessions, Giannis was afraid to attack and simply passed up the ball. That's peak Giannis, on his MVP year.

On top of that, led both teams on points as well. On top of that, Kawhi was already limping on 1 leg.

Casuals missed that, but was one of the greatest playoff runs ever.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nba/...i1ie63rx33qthz

Casuals forget how ridiculous Kawhi is, on defense.

Here's a no look steal. Anybody else has a no look steal? Lol. 🤭

https://youtu.be/0_ZB9u7AKv8?si=YKX_mVU3PfqKqR3X

Wow, reddit. What a great source. Lol.

Raptors were down 0-2. Did you actually watch that series. As usual, they hid their star (Kawhi) on defense. Siakam and the rest were hapless against Giannis.

Then Raptors switched it up. Kawhi led the defense on Giannis. Difference was night and day. On multiple possessions, Giannis was afraid to attack and simply passed up the ball. That's peak Giannis, on his MVP year.

On top of that, led both teams on points as well. On top of that, Kawhi was already limping on 1 leg.

Casuals missed that, but was one of the greatest playoff runs ever.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nba/...i1ie63rx33qthz
    It was his best playoff run ever. Forget the damn injury excuses by the warriors in that finals. It was an ultimate revenge that came two years later anyway against the same team that caused his quad injury in 2017. Many should try to realize this. After the title, he immediately moved on to the clippers just to play with george (would have stayed on the raps had they granted his request to trade for him bt) but none of his seasons with them so far came close to that. His reasons for playing rn is probably different tho; maybe playing just for the sake of doing it in his hometown instead of winning a ring. I could be wrong but i don't see this clippers team ending up with a chip later on, however currently 'successful' they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    It was his best playoff run ever. Forget the damn injury excuses by the warriors in that finals. It was an ultimate revenge that came two years later anyway against the same team that caused his quad injury in 2017. Many should try to realize this. After the title, he immediately moved on to the clippers just to play with george (would have stayed on the raps had they granted his request to trade for him bt) but none of his seasons with them so far came close to that. His reasons for playing rn is probably different tho; maybe playing just for the sake of doing it in his hometown instead of winning a ring. I could be wrong but i don't see this clippers team ending up with a chip later on, however currently 'successful' they are.
    Clippers, Nuggets, Celtics, & Bucks have what it takes. A bunch of other teams could have a great playoffs and make it deep into the playoffs.

I've followed this Clippers team since Kawhi got there. They always had a chance, but key weaknesses got in the way.
    Nuggers bounched them in the bubble because their starting C was 2'11". Zubac is a double double machine now. Plumlee is a big that actually big enough.
    Clippers haven't achieved their full offensive potential because of stagnant ball movement. Harden fixed that.
    Clippers wing defense was supposed to be elite, but they didn't mesh together in the Beverly days. That's fixed now, with Westbrook bringing a lot of energy.
    Mentally challenged coach has been booted as well, replaced with somebody who actually knows Xs and Os.

They only have a slight weakness in the front court. Every team has at least a slight weakness.

I won't deny how the clippers are capable but i don't trust their retarded coach. He only inherited a team that had a former fmvp, as well as guys that were former mvps (well he actually came first before them). Without guys that don't have those kinds of honors, he had an awful, paltry record. Like the 18/19 cavs before he got fired early and the cavs' record without lebron in 2016-18.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I won't deny how the clippers are capable but i don't trust their retarded coach. He only inherited a team that had a former fmvp, as well as guys that were former mvps (well he actually came first before them). Without guys that don't have those kinds of honors, he had an awful, paltry record. Like the 18/19 cavs before he got fired early and the cavs' record without lebron in 2016-18.
    Anyone is better than Doc Rivers. Ty Lue can be very good, like in 2021 when the Clippers made the conf finals on a skeleton crew. He was full on Xs and Os then. Still is, but with questionable lapses. Happens to the best of 'em. Raptors could have iced GSW in 5 if not for Nick Nurse's timeout.

Anyone is better than Doc Rivers. Ty Lue can be very good, like in 2021 when the Clippers are the conf finalson a skeleton crew.
    Maybe. But they only got there because of bad reffing that favored them against the jazz in the 2021 wcsf. Their realistic chance at a ring happened four years ago but then again, doc rivers made them pretentious contenders bt. Now they are coming again together, with addition of two veterans but we'll see what happens first later.