Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Mavs play a good game with Kyrie without Luka

Role players all having really good games

Of course this team wouldn't be able to beat any worthwhile teams in the playoffs with Luka, but it really is obvious that Luka dominating the ball so much is demotivating and suboptimal, as 3ball would put it.

Also, players don't hustle on defense when their leader doesn't even play defense.

Luka is not in the running for MVP despite the stats and unlike Embiid, who was in a similar situation, he likely won't get
    anyone to lobby for him.

Default Re: Mavs play a good game with Kyrie without Luka

They beat the #1 Suns a few years ago when Luka wasn't this good of a shooter, plus I believe the current version of Kyrie is still better than what Brunson was then, and I like their role guys more.

Defense is an issue, but they did have a bunch of injuries and it's still early in the season so I'll wait to see what it looks like around ASB when teams really start trying. We've had good/great defensive teams around stars like Kyrie(Celtics)/Curry/Harden so I don't think that's the main issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Role players all having really good games

Of course this team wouldn't be able to beat any worthwhile teams in the playoffs without Luka, but it really is obvious that Luka dominating the ball so much is demotivating and suboptimal, as 3ball would put it.

Also, players don't hustle on defense when their leader doesn't even play defense.

Luka is not in the running for MVP despite the stats and unlike Embiid, who was in a similar situation, he likely won't get
    anyone to lobby for him.
    I agree with this, altho I would also caution against using a 1 game sample size. Every team except Lebron’s wins games without their star here or there.

I think Luka did start the season playing more uptempo, but with injuries to Irving, Kleber, and other guys at various times he kinda reverted back to ball pounding. Im giving him the benefit of the doubt that it’s because he’s playing with fairly inexperienced guys (jayden hardy, derrick lively, derrick jones junior, I mean whoever even heard of these guys) and hes trying to keep them afloat.

But I think youre right the Mavs will be at their most dangerous when the ball moves earlier in the possession and they play up tempo. Not on every possession necessarily, but a good mix. When theyre healthy I think theyre more apt to do that.

Fully healthy Mavs squad with two rim protectors (Lively and Maxi) with both Luka and Kyrie is gonna be a nightmare 7-game series for any western conference team besides Denver.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I agree with this, altho I would also caution against using a 1 game sample size. Every team except Lebron’s wins games without their star here or there.

I think Luka did start the season playing more uptempo, but with injuries to Irving, Kleber, and other guys at various times he kinda reverted back to ball pounding. Im giving him the benefit of the doubt that it’s because he’s playing with fairly inexperienced guys (jayden hardy, derrick lively, derrick jones junior, I mean whoever even heard of these guys) and hes trying to keep them afloat.

But I think youre right the Mavs will be at their most dangerous when the ball moves earlier in the possession and they play up tempo. Not on every possession necessarily, but a good mix. When theyre healthy I think theyre more apt to do that.
    Luka needs to take a page from MJ and learn how second 3-peat MJ used to sit back in the first half, letting role players get going, then second half, takes over.

I remember often with Bulls, they'd deliberately set up plays for Luc Longley in the first quarter, simply because, well, feed the big man and he works on defense. Likewise with Kukoc who was often the main guy in games and then MJ just got his in the flow.

Ball dominance simply isn't as effective. Luka really needs to learn how to score off ball.

OP thinks Mavs beating the Blazers at home without luka is some kind of sign

Luka needs to take a page from MJ and learn how second 3-peat MJ used to sit back in the first half, letting role players get going, then second half, takes over.

I remember often with Bulls, they'd deliberately set up plays for Luc Longley in the first quarter, simply because, well, feed the big man and he works on defense. Likewise with Kukoc who was often the main guy in games and then MJ just got his in the flow.

Ball dominance simply isn't as effective. Luka really needs to learn how to score off ball.
    I dont think it's a matter of learning, he's just not physically built to do it.

He cant shake defenders running around off backscreens like Reggie Miller or Klay Thompson. He's just too naturally heavy, even when he's in shape. And he's not finishing lobs over the defense like Jason Richardson. It's simply not within his physical skillset.

His only value is going to be on-ball, and theres obviously many times throughout the game he's a big advantage for them to have. But he also needs to make sure he pushes the ball ahead enough to keep guys moving and in rhythm rather than just standing watching him, even if his only off-ball participation in those cases is to trail the play and spot up for three like everyone else.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I dont think it's a matter of learning, he's just not physically built to do it.

He cant shake defenders running around off backscreens like Reggie Miller or Klay Thompson. He's just too naturally heavy, even when he's in shape. And he's not finishing lobs over the defense like Jason Richardson. It's simply not within his physical skillset.

His only value is going to be on-ball, and theres obviously many times throughout the game he's a big advantage for them to have. But he also needs to make sure he pushes the ball ahead enough to keep guys moving and in rhythm rather than just standing watching him, even if his only off-ball participation in those cases is to trail the play and spot up for three like everyone else.
    He can save some energy by being a decoy and spot up corner shooter.

There's no reason he can't stand in the corner while Kyrie is cooking.

Then spend that energy on defense, which is really the actual issue.

He can save some energy by being a decoy and spot up corner shooter.

There's no reason he can't stand in the corner while Kyrie is cooking.

Then spend that energy on defense, which is really the actual issue.
    Yeah like Luka's going to be a lockdown defender, just because he has a bit less to do offensively lol. Why isn't Kyrie elite on D then if Luka's carrying the offense? What about the rest of the guys?

Defense is a team effort.

Best way to get Luka off-ball is playing him more on the block. I believe last year he was #1 in post scoring, and he obviously has the complimenting passing skills to be effective. The only other Mavs player you'd trust to manage the ballhandling a good bit in relief of Luka is Kyrie but he's more scorer than facilitator.

Like Fultz said, he's not a Reggie Miller/Steph type who's gonna be running around all game off-screens. Those guys have/had legendary motors.

Very good NBA starter

Great game now against Minny.

Kai is playing big.

Some playoff atmosphere here.

Very good NBA starter

Kyrie is the best 4th quarter closer in the game.

Nice turnover Toody

Another scheduled loss?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Another scheduled loss?
    I'd love to think you aren't that stupid but pretty sure you actually are