Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Desperate final defense by Trump?

Lil Donny and his lawyers are now arguing that him trying to undermine the election in Georgia and other states was done in an official capacity so that makes him immune from any prosecution

Trump’s lawyers contended in court papers Monday that Trump’s January 2021 call to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger — encouraging him to “find” enough votes to overturn Joe Biden’s victory in the state — was part of his official duties as president.

Similarly, Trump’s attorneys contend that he was also acting as president when he allegedly directed efforts in Georgia and other states to organize so-called alternate slates of presidential electors who purported to cast electoral votes for him even though state officials determined he had lost those states.

“The indictment is based entirely on alleged actions that lie at the heartland of the President’s official duties,” Trump’s attorney Steve Sadow wrote of the case, a conspiracy charged under a Georgia racketeering law against Trump and 18 other co-defendants, several of whom have pleaded guilty to lesser charges.

The arguments echo Trump’s parallel attempt to scuttle the federal charges against him in Washington, D.C., where he’s facing similar conspiracy charges brought by special counsel Jack Smith. Trump’s motion claiming presidential and federal immunity came among a raft of other filings in Georgia that also mirrored his arguments in Washington, including an argument that he can’t be prosecuted because of his acquittal in a 2021 Senate impeachment trial.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...unity-00134305

What a shift in arguments. This must be the final argument they have left to throw at the wall. Imagine a president pressuring the system to keep him in power despite an election & undermining the results by sending an alternative slate of electors w/ fraudulent documents (and ofc trying to alter the Georgia results) as being a part of his duties as president. Jeez.

Default Re: Desperate final defense by Trump?

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Poopsie:" What does find me more votes mean?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32 View Post
    Poopsie:" What does find me more votes mean?"
    Didn't you know it's all part of the official duties of a president?!!

Even the courts are skeptical of that defense argument put forth by Lil Donny's lawyers.

"Judges heard from a lawyer for Donald J. Trump who argued that a president could face criminal charges only if impeached and convicted first, even if the case involved the assassination of a political rival. A lawyer for the special counsel called that idea frightening."

The judges on the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit appeared unlikely to dismiss the charges against Mr. Trump on grounds of presidential immunity, as he has asked them to do. The two Democratic appointees on the court, Judge J. Michelle Childs and Judge Florence Y. Pan, peppered John Sauer, a lawyer for Mr. Trump, with difficult questions.

Judge Karen L. Henderson, the panel’s sole Republican appointee, seemed to reject a central part of Mr. Trump’s argument: that his efforts to overturn his loss to President Biden cannot be subject to prosecution because presidents have a constitutional duty to ensure that election laws are upheld.

“I think it’s paradoxical to say that his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed allows him to violate the criminal law,” Judge Henderson said.

Still, Judge Henderson also expressed worry that allowing the case to proceed could “open the floodgates” of prosecutions of former presidents. She raised the possibility of sending the case back to the Federal District Court judge overseeing pretrial proceedings, Tanya S. Chutkan, for greater scrutiny of how to consider Mr. Trump’s actions.

A lawyer for Trump took a sweeping position on a hypothetical assassination.

Judge Pan asked Mr. Sauer to address a series of hypotheticals intended to test the limits of his position that presidents are absolutely immune from criminal prosecution over their official acts, unless they have first been impeached and convicted by the Senate over the same matter.

Among them, she asked, what if a president ordered SEAL Team 6, the Navy commando unit, to assassinate a president’s political rival? Mr. Sauer said such a president would surely be impeached and convicted, but he insisted that courts would not have jurisdiction to oversee a murder trial unless that first happened.

To rule otherwise, Mr. Sauer said, would open the door to the routine prosecutions of former presidents whenever the White House changes partisan hands.

Picking up on the hypothetical of a president who uses SEAL Team 6 to kill a rival and then escapes criminal liability by simply resigning before he could be impeached or by avoiding a conviction in the Senate, James I. Pearce, a lawyer for the special counsel Jack Smith, denounced Mr. Sauer’s argument. Such a rationale, he added, put forth an understanding of presidential immunity that was not just wrong but also a vision for “an extraordinarily frightening future.”

He also rejected the idea that allowing the case to go forward would be a “sea change” that opened the door to “vindictive tit-for-tat prosecutions in the future.” Instead, he said, the fact that Mr. Trump is the first former president ever to be charged with crimes underlined the “fundamentally unprecedented nature” of the criminal charges. He continued: “Never before has there been allegations that a sitting president has, with private individuals and using the levers of power, sought to fundamentally subvert the democratic republic and the electoral system.”

Mr. Pearce added, “Frankly if that kind of fact pattern arises again, I think it would be awfully scary if there weren’t some sort of mechanism by which to reach that criminally.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/01...munity-hearing

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I really thought by now Trump would use the age ticket , and just say:

" I don't know anything about it. Sorry I don't remember"

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

According to CNN yesterday the indictments have been a total backfire and has in turn “injected the trump campaign with steroids”. Their words not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I really thought by now Trump would use the age ticket , and just say:

" I don't know anything about it. Sorry I don't remember"
    That's probably next once the courts rule he can be liable for any criminal charges.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    According to CNN yesterday the indictments have been a total backfire and has in turn “injected the trump campaign with steroids”. Their words not mine.

woopsie daisy!

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Trump's attorneys say a president can only be prosecuted by the legal system after he has been impeached, convicted in the Senate, and removed from office.

According to the MAGA brained idea, Biden could order a hit on Trump and expect no legal consequences if a Democratic senate refuses to convict him.

And you thought Trump's lawyers were gonna say something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Lil Donny and his lawyers are now arguing that him trying to undermine the election in Georgia and other states was done in an official capacity so that makes him immune from any prosecution

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...unity-00134305

What a shift in arguments. This must be the final argument they have left to throw at the wall. Imagine a president pressuring the system to keep him in power despite an election & undermining the results by sending an alternative slate of electors w/ fraudulent documents (and ofc trying to alter the Georgia results) as being a part of his duties as president. Jeez.
    Imagine a President letting millions of illegal immigrants into our country and giving zero fukks about Americans well being. All about getting votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo View Post
    Imagine a President letting millions of illegal immigrants into our country and giving zero fukks about Americans well being. All about getting votes.
    Here comes the conspiracy once again of millions of illegals voting in the election

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Here comes the conspiracy once again of millions of illegals voting in the election
    So what's the Big Guy's reason for opening the border and letting any Tom, Dick and Harry to come in? What's in it for us, the actual tax paying citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo View Post
    So what's the Big Guy's reason for opening the border and letting any Tom, Dick and Harry to come in? What's in it for us, the actual tax paying citizens?
    actually it's pedro, jose & juan.