Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Melo believes Denver gave Jokic the number 15 to erase his accomplishments

Last edited by CurryOverLebron; 01-11-2024 at 09:06 PM.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Melo believes Denver gave Jokic the number 15 to erase his accomplishments

It wasn't a respectful move but when he got the jersey all he was was a second round pick. They couldn't have foreseen him becoming an all time great player whose jersey will of course be retired.

Really Melo should blame young Melo for the current state of affairs. Any time a player forces a team to trade him away he shouldn't expect them to honor his legacy in his absence.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Melo believes Denver gave Jokic the number 15 to erase his accomplishments

“Jokic might have picked 15 to pay homage” -melo

Pretty sure Jokic wouldn’t have been able to tell you what number Anthony wore in Denver for a million dollars

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I assume if they knew he were gonna be good enough to overshadow Melo they would have taken him with their first rounder that year instead of the swap for Nurkic.

Carmelo was a lazy, undisciplined player in Denver who ultimately forced the franchise to trade him purely because he thought it would be more fun and glamorous to play in New York City.

But he wants Denver to celebrate his 'legacy' there

What accomplishments?

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    What accomplishments?
    The ones putting him in the Hall of Fame and I believe the top 75. I don’t think he got any better in New York though there was a moment or two people were saying otherwise.

I don’t think the word “accomplishments” Only applies to MVPs and people who are in the finals.

I wouldn’t say somebody like George Gervin was not an accomplished basketball player. Society has just raised the standards so high we don’t want to acknowledge that anyone who isnt an all-time elite, contributed anything at all.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

not quite like the Jazz giving their all time best player at the time Dantley's number to the guy they traded for him

Local High School Star

What really happened is worse - they found this fat foreign center that dribbles and threw the jersey on him.

Melo should worry about getting overshadowed by Murray, who has already peaked higher on both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by 999Guy View Post
    What really happened is worse - they found this fat foreign center that dribbles and threw the jersey on him.

Melo should worry about getting overshadowed by Murray, who has already peaked higher on both ends.
    he was already overshadowed by English despite the hype to the contrary

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    he was already overshadowed by English despite the hype to the contrary
    I dont think you understand how overshadowing someone works

Makes no sense. Jokic had the number ever since he was drafted... in the 2nd round no less lol. No one expected him to become a star, let alone arguably the best in the game.

Melo's just salty that he never achieved shit in the Playoffs, and that's on him for not improving & for choosing to force his way to NY at the time instead of at least sticking with Denver until he could have joined a good team as a FA to give himself a better chance.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Makes no sense. Jokic had the number ever since he was drafted... in the 2nd round no less lol. No one expected him to become a star, let alone arguably the best in the game.

Melo's just salty that he never achieved shit in the Playoffs, and that's on him for not improving & for choosing to force his way to NY at the time instead of at least sticking with Denver until he could have joined a good team as a FA to give himself a better chance.
    Denver had some good teams around him. Then they got that king’s ransom for Melo. Post Melo I thought they had too much depth. Would have been nice if they could have consolidated some of that talent for another top tier star.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post

could have waited until he was a free agent and the Knicks would have had a lot more talent around him as well

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Denver had some good teams around him. Then they got that king’s ransom for Melo. Post Melo I thought they had too much depth. Would have been nice if they could have consolidated some of that talent for another top tier star.
    Both Jamal Murray and Jakob Poeltl(Raptors starter now) are picks from the Melo trade 14 years ago. These things have such far reaching consequences.