Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

Default Why isn't Lebron retired yet?

I don't know why Lebron is still playing. He's not a great quality player anymore. I don't care what his numbers say. It doesn't translate into winning basketball, especially when you use age as an excuse to not play defense.

Is he still playing just to try to play with his son? Is that the main reason? He already got the scoring record. Now he's just dragging the Lakers organization down. What is his goal?

Default Re: Why isn't Lebron retired yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Walk on Water View Post
    I don't know why Lebron is still playing. He's not a great quality player anymore. I don't care what his numbers say. It doesn't translate into winning basketball, especially when you use age as an excuse to not play defense.

Is he still playing just to try to play with his son? Is that the main reason? He already got the scoring record. Now he's just dragging the Lakers organization down. What is his goal?
    He never really has if we're being honest.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Because he makes 48 mil per year to play basketball. If you think about it, that's a stupid question.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I don’t know why you feel the need to hide behind this alt at this point but…..

Pretty much nobody retires when they’re as good as Lebron is today. Add 40-50 million a year in earnings and there’s no reason not to play.

Tragedies like Drazen aside, how many All-Stars even retire as 20 points per game players? Bird in half a season. Jerry West in half a season. Jordan was healthy, but he was further from being Jordan than LeBron is from being LeBron. Who else? Clyde Drexler?

The best player to ever retire might well be Wilt Chamberlain, even though he wasn’t choosing to shoot at the end. And he tried to go be player coach in the ABA but the nba didn’t let him.

whatever level you put LeBron on now it’s probably the highest level for anyone to voluntarily quit playing basketball if he had done so already. It’s got to be him or final season wilt assuming you consider quitting the NBA then being sued to prevent coming back In the ABA to be voluntarily retiring.

it’s possible, nobody ever walked away while being as good as he has been recently, and they definitely weren’t being paid more than a fraction of what he’s making right now, so it’s kind of a ridiculous question.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

it also has never been easier to score 20ppg

I wonder who is getting traded this year. It seemed like LA had found a really solid roster of players last season. I'm not sure what to make of their poor play. Seems like this happens every year with LeBron's teams. 6 of the last 7 years.

I do sometimes wonder whether LeBron's leadership may play a factor.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    I wonder who is getting traded this year. It seemed like LA had found a really solid roster of players last season. I'm not sure what to make of their poor play. Seems like this happens every year with LeBron's teams. 6 of the last 7 years.

Well I imagine with playing with LeBron, when things go well he takes the credit snd when things go south he’s not going to take accountability. Mix that in with him being unwilling to play off ball and play defense consistently…Some of LBJ’s classic passive aggressiveness….Doesn’t seem like a good place to be.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

There is no speech he can make that will overcome a lack of talent. They might have one guy that deserves AllNBA (AD may be 2nd or 3rd team worthy of he stays healthy) and they are not particularly good at anything on offense or defense. They have an average team and that normally leads to .500 basketball.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    it also has never been easier to score 20ppg
    Well he’s doing considerably more than that but it was a nice round number…and still….people retired in the 60s as well. Which reminds me…..Bob Pettit. Probably the most productive guy to retire by choice. He had to still be around 20/14.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

tell us, which low life is behind this account?

Banned

Most all time greats would have continued playing if their bodies didn't break down.

Although I will say that when it comes to someone like Bron, I don't think he can handle not being in the spotlight. Playing basketball keeps him on TV eight months out of the year. It keeps him relevant.

After his basketball career is over I'm sure he'll venture into other media but he's not really all that talented so I could see people getting sick and bored with him. I don't think anybody cares to watch Lebron James if it isn't basketball related.

With what’s available out there and with teams asking for Austin instead of D’lo, there aren’t a lot of moves to be made if lakers are firm on keeping Austin. Which is all well and good. Lakers could use a decent two way player and another big to relieve AD of rim protection. Other than that roster is fine as it is. The problem is they aren’t utilized correctly. Bizarre starting lineups where it’s all wing guys, playing prince 35 minutes a game or allow cam to continue to start are all head scratching decisions. I liked how d lo and Austin looked last night starting together. Ham needs to end the experiments and go back to the vando/Austin/Russell/bron/AD lineups and start to give max Christie cam’s minutes.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

Pretty much nobody retires when they’re as good as Lebron is today.

That's the fallacy - that he's still good - 25 ppg is nothing in today's game - there aren't a zillion people doing it but many guys could do it if they had Lebron's opportunity and green light. And Lebron is expending all his energy to get those numbers compared to his younger self that would get those numbers with ease while still trying to elevate teammates, and while still having the energy to be an athletic presence that wears down opponents on both ends (running the floor, battling for rebounds, being in the right place at right time by being able to cover the ground, etc, etc) - Lebron doesn't wear down anyone anymore and he GETS worn down, while not making the slightest attempt to elevate teammates.. He even throws them under the bus in post-game interviews.. And teams or defenders take it easy on him.. so who cares about his self-serving numbers in an easy era that allows them.. .. I remember when Paul Pierce said that playing against Jordan in 2003 was like playing 5-on-5 with 1 girl.. That's what it's like for Lebron too - defenders and teams rarely defend him vigorously and basically play him in a way that goes along with the mainstream narrative that has undoubtedly seeped into their subconscious (there's nothing else to seep in there - it's only LeMedia coverage).

Jokic Stan

Lebron is the GOAT, he can do whatever he wants OP

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk View Post
    Lebron is the GOAT, he can do whatever he wants OP
    This.