Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Is Embiid out of the MVP race this season? If so, what do you expect (MVP, Embiid)

I found this article:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nb...mvps-comeback/

Here is this paragraph:

The reigning MVP has been suffering from a nagging knee injury for some time. He missed the last three games and is likely to miss the game because the knee injury will approximately take 4-6 weeks. Embiid had a healthy start to the season and appeared in all first fourteen games. Later he missed four games at a stretch in December due to an ankle injury. He returned to play two consecutive games and suffered swelling in the left knee.
    He missed 10 games already. Even if he does return sooner than several weeks, he is not likely to play 65 games this year. Basketball reference has already taken down his name from its MVP award tracker page.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/mvp.html

Jokic sits at the top now with 41% which will go higher after tonight's win. The SGA and Giannis follow. All the others don't really have a chance. Do we have a consensus here? It's the midpoint of the season.

As for Embiid, he got his MVP last year (very debatable). WHEN he played he seemed deserving this year but he just doesn't play enough. You are not that valuable if you are not on the court. However, I think all his fans would be happy to trade this MVP for a nice title run. In what light do you view his injuries this year? Is this a bad sign for the playoffs? Or is it a good sign because he played very well and will be rested with a coach that actually knows what he is doing?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Is Embiid out of the MVP race this season? If so, what do you expect (MVP, Embiid

As of now I'd say Jokic has a slight lead, SGA is a close second, and Giannis is third.... but this may be the best chance Tatum will get.

Default Re: Is Embiid out of the MVP race this season? If so, what do you expect (MVP, Embiid

It's a shame. He lost the 2021 MVP because of games missed to injury. A hell of a player when healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    As of now I'd say Jokic has a slight lead, SGA is a close second, and Giannis is third.... but this may be the best chance Tatum will get.
    He will have the wins. Too many good players on the team hurts his chances. I don't watch the Celtics often this season (saw 3 or 4 games) but Tatum is somehow not catching my eye. He plays well but I hardly remember his plays. He is just very under the radar. (Saw his 45 points the other night and he was great at the end of the game. Why doesn't he do it more often? The team being just too good so he doesn't have to? I personally think Tatum doesn't have the cool storyline to be in the running. He could use a very strong playoff run. To an extent, this is why I think SGA will not win it either. He is good but the story isn't there yet. Luka would have the story but the Mavs are not good enough. If nothing changes it will be a very much debated MVP voting this year. For Jokic to easily win his 3rd the Nuggets would need to win the West. It's possible bat from from being a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    It's a shame. He lost the 2021 MVP because of games missed to injury. A hell of a player when healthy.
    He had a better case than he had last year, that's for sure. Last year should've gone to Jokic. I think it's either Giannis with 3 or Jokic with 3 after this year. SGA has a chance but I doubt the voters will give it to him. Not yet.

I expect Jokic to win comfortably if Embiid is out. Followed by SGA and Doncic.

I'd really love to see a 76ers-Nuggets Finals with both Embiid and Jokic healthy. In a series they would bring the best out of one another. So if Embiid sitting out a few more games for him to be close to 100% in the playoffs it was worth it for me.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Jokic.

SGA should be a frontrunner, but as others say, I don't think they are gonn'a give to him yet. If OKC were to have a better record than Denver, it should go to SGA as of rn.

But either Jokic, Giannis or SGA. They all have good arguments.

If it was 20 years ago, Tatum would be a lock for the award. Thank God they went away from that lazy best player on best team BS. Tatum should be in the running though.

Some BS still exists though. Like Jokic is not going to win unless he has a huge lead over everyone else. SGA has a good shot at it. He's been amazing, he hasn't rested much, and the Thunder have a high seed and weren't expected to be nearly this good.

The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

Tatum will never….listen to me. TATUM WILL NEVVVVVERRR WIN A MVP. Idc if embiid misses a season. Idc if jokic retires. Idc if giannis tears every ligament in his body. There will still be 5 players (minimum) ahead of Tatum in the mvp votings at the end of the season.

The big 3 (Giannis jokic embiid) will always be above Tatum. And the next generation will always be ahead of Tatum (shai Luka haliburton ect)

Tatum needs to worry about staying ahead of the banchero’s and Zion’s of the world before they surpass him too.
    Last edited by Mask the Embiid; 01-15-2024 at 12:50 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Tatum isn't even in the conversation

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Tatum was fourth just last year and that was with a team seen as underachieving. Now he has a team with a strong shot at the best record in the league. You guys seem a bit nervous. You can relax, I don't think he will intentionally pad his stays too get back to 30 ppg again and so he probably won't be one of the main contenders... but to keep you a little nervous, if he managed to shoot just a little better from three for the rest of the season he will be a factor and he's going to stay on that AllNBA first team.

Very good NBA starter

Got to give Jokic a chance to win both MVP and FMVP in same season.

Let's see if Embiid ducks the real MVP tomorrow...