Not airballing my layups anymore

Default RIP Joyce Randolph

Joyce Randolph died in her sleep on January 13, 2024, at the age of 99. She had been a longtime resident of New York City and was in hospice care suffering the effects of old age. Randolph was the last surviving cast member of The Honeymooners.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Randolph

It is with a mix of surprise and regret that I share the news of Joyce Randolph's death. For an extended period, I held the assumption that she had departed many years ago, considering her advanced age. Had I been aware that she was still alive, I would have dedicated moments to watch a few Honeymooners episodes, marveling at the fact that she was still among us.

Default Re: RIP Joyce Randolph

This forum has a weird obsession with actors and their passing.

There are so many more important figures that die that gets no mention. Last November for example Don Walsh -- a Navy vet who explored the deep sea in the 60s passed. This man contributed more than some actress named Joyce.

Reading the news this morning, Dan Marburger -- the Iowa principle that saved the lives of students with the mass shooting died... but no, lets acknowledge an actress we only know because she played a character that contributed more than she as a person.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67977761

I remember back around early 1996, or late 1995, seeing the cover of the National Enquirer or something, and they had a story about Audrey Meadows basically on her deathbed. It feels like a memory from yesterday. I wonder if there's a database for magazine covers.

I was 3 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern View Post
    I remember back around early 1996, or late 1995, seeing the cover of the National Enquirer or something, and they had a story about Audrey Meadows basically on her deathbed. It feels like a memory from yesterday. I wonder if there's a database for magazine covers.

I was 3 years old.
    You remember the cover of national enquirer when you were 3 years old? You must have autistic brain

Quote Originally Posted by jstern View Post

I was 3 years old.
    If you can remember that then tell us what it was like to be in your mother's womb at -5 months old

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyMeatballs View Post
    If you can remember that then tell us what it was like to be in your mother's womb at -5 months old

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    This forum has a weird obsession with actors and their passing.

There are so many more important figures that die that gets no mention. Last November for example Don Walsh -- a Navy vet who explored the deep sea in the 60s passed. This man contributed more than some actress named Joyce.
    Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    Reading the news this morning, Dan Marburger -- the Iowa principle that saved the lives of students with the mass shooting died... but no, lets acknowledge an actress we only know because she played a character that contributed more than she as a person.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67977761
    Why didn't you bother creating a thread about their passing?

Actors, being more numerous and widely recognized, naturally have a higher likelihood of being acknowledged when they pass away compared to individuals like the ones you mentioned. It's just common sense that someone from a larger and more prominent pool of well known figures would receive more attention.

I'm just one person here. If I hadn't initiated this thread, the news of Joyce Randolph's death would have probably gone unnoticed by all here. The awareness of her passing is limited, given that most people familiar with her have probably already departed.