Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: United Airlines to recruit less qualified pilots in the name of diversity & inclu

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    If there are 100 spots, you fill those spots with the most qualified applicants period. If that results in 99 white applicants then so be it. If it results in 99 non-white applicants then so be it. There is literally no way you can have an even 50/50 split but also guarantee that you're hiring the best candidates. The moment you instill a race/gender quota... you are de-prioritizing merit.

Also let the record show that this is only perceived as a problem when a field is dominated by white males. You would never hear anyone complain that the U.S. math team is too asian, that an NBA basketball team is too black, or that the nursing field is too female.

The push for "diversity" only ever comes at the expense of white males.
    For some jobs there are minimim critereas. If you believe they drop them to include blacks or whatever you can be sure they did drop them in the past to hire whites or do a friend a favour or whatever.

The reality of any business is that the business is either strict in its rules, affirmative action or not, or they are loose about them, then it wouldn't matter either anyway.

Default Re: United Airlines to recruit less qualified pilots in the name of diversity & inclu

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post
    I am against this but I do have to ask, if they all achieved their license then aren't they all qualified?

How would one licensed pilot be more qualified than another?

Obviously none of these guys have a wreck on their record, even with collisions it is hard to rank car drivers in terms of who is a better driver.
    Not much of a critical thinker are you? Flight hours, flight levels/stripes, flight school, employment history, aircraft-specific experience and so on...

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    Not much of a critical thinker are you? Flight hours, flight levels/stripes, flight school, employment history, aircraft-specific experience and so on...
    Not much of a thinker at all are you? None of those things suggest another licensed pilot is less qualified. They all have to graduate with a pilots license which in turn "qualifies" them to fly certain planes.

My grandmother has driven a car more than you, is it a fact that she is more qualified driver than you are?

The Truth Is Out There Media Moderator's Avatar

My grandmother has driven a car more than you, is it a fact that she is more qualified driver than you are?
    My crazy nephew just got his license at 16. Does that mean he's as qualified as you to drive a car.

I'm not sure how we've gotten to the point of hiring people based on the color of their skin. Why does the left always keep trying to tweak things so that when the problem is fixed, they circle it around closer to back when there was a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Media Moderator View Post
    My crazy nephew just got his license at 16. Does that mean he's as qualified as you to drive a car.

I'm not sure how we've gotten to the point of hiring people based on the color of their skin. Why does the left always keep trying to tweak things so that when the problem is fixed, they circle it around closer to back when there was a problem?
    I'm sure the upper echelons of ultra capitalistic companies are leftists.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Media Moderator View Post

Yes, if your nephew achieved his license we are literally equal in driving qualification.

Again, I do not agree with basing anything on skin color, that is wrong in my opinion. But if someone has obtained their pilots license and is qualified to fly, then they are qualified to fly.

Banned

Yes, if your nephew achieved his license we are literally equal in driving qualification.

Again, I do not agree with basing anything on skin color, that is wrong in my opinion. But if someone has obtained their pilots license and is qualified to fly, then they are qualified to fly.
    You mean like Brandon choosing Kamala Harris as his VP and nominating Kentaji Brown Jackson for the supreme court?

Not much of a thinker at all are you? None of those things suggest another licensed pilot is less qualified. They all have to graduate with a pilots license which in turn "qualifies" them to fly certain planes.

Yes, if you have your commercial pilot license, you are well-qualified to fly such planes. There are mandatory training hours required for you to fly that type of plane and have the full training to do it before they ever even approve your license. Sure, some pilots may be more experienced but they all are fully qualified.

My dad's friend is a private plane pilot. Before he got the license, he had to spend a mandatory amount of hours flying the sort of plane he was trying to get a license for. You have to pass exam that I believe includes written test and practical test where you have to prove yourself to the inspector flying the sort of plane you are applying for license. There is also a complicated renewal process, but I don't know the specifics. I think it's much different than renewing a car driver's license. Look it up to see what FAA requires.
    Last edited by bladefd; 01-16-2024 at 02:21 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Reagan fired air traffic controllers in '81 and the Republicans cheered.

I don't know about you but I would want a surgeon operating on me or a pilot flying the plane I'm on - to be the best possible surgeon/pilot - not just someone who graduated at the bottom of the class or the minimum hours flown. Sure they're all "qualified" but when you use race/gender as the determining factor, (IMO) that's just not right. There should be other MERITOCRATIC measures/ratings that can pick out better surgeons/pilots than SKIN COLOR or (should I even say) genitalia (with all the ambiguity about what a woman is).
    Last edited by rmt; 01-16-2024 at 09:37 PM.

And why isn't there equal interest in evening out the gender of teachers or nurses - I don't see such a push for male teachers/nurses. Ah yes, privilege.

And as Elon asks Cuban (regarding DEI), "When are we going to see a short, Asian female on the Mavs?"

Quote Originally Posted by rmt View Post
    I don't know about you but I would want a surgeon operating on me or a pilot flying the plane I'm on - to be the best possible surgeon/pilot - not just someone who graduated at the bottom of the class or the minimum hours flown. Sure they're all "qualified" but when you use race/gender as the determining factor, (IMO) that's just not right. There should be other MERITOCRATIC measures/ratings that can pick out better surgeons/pilots than SKIN COLOR or (should I even say) genitalia (with all the ambiguity about what a woman is).
    What about if you have 2 equally qualified pilots and the airline offers the job to a woman first instead of the man?

It's easy to say if you have a choice between minimum hours flown vs someone with 30yr experience. Of course, you would choose 30yr experience. However, that isn't the issue here.

Here's the actual argument unlike the nonsense tweet in the OP.

“Over the next decade, United will train 5,000 pilots who will be guaranteed a job with United, after they complete the requirements of the Aviate program – and our plan is for half of them to be women and people of color,” said United CEO Scott Kirby in the 2021 press release. “We’re excited that JPMorgan Chase has agreed to support our work to diversify our pilot ranks and create new opportunities for thousands of women and people of color who want to pursue a career in aviation.”

Cuban took to Twitter/X again to refute Musk’s claim saying, “This is a training school. Once they graduate, it’s a multi year process to have an OPPORTUNITY to pilot for United.”

“Since I’m a nice guy and want you to be fully informed, I’ll share with you the benefit of the 60 seconds I spent looking for how the program works. BTW, looks like multiple layers of merit based evaluations before they can fly for United…,” Cuban continued in a Tweet.

This is a training school. Once they graduate, it’s a multi year process to have an OPPORTUNITY to pilot for United.
    https://airlinegeeks.com/2024/01/14/...-pilot-hiring/

It has nothing to do with hiring but rather recruiting for training school. Think about it for a second.

So they ALL begin with 0 flying hours. Nobody has more flying experience than anybody else. 500 applicants go through multi-year training from scratch with no pilot license and no knowledge of how to fly a commercial flight. At the end of training, they get their license and practical experience of flying a commercial flight.

They would all probably have just about equal experience and flight hours on graduation day. Exam scores/gpa might vary though. I don't think it means they would all get hired though.
    Last edited by bladefd; 01-16-2024 at 11:04 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

blade should apply since he’s handicapped

and our plan is for half of them to be women and people of color
    I know it's besides the topic, but these people are payed relatively good money to write press releases and it happens regularely that they use the wrong conjunctions/logical connectives.

Propositional logic is a field of maths and quite important when making statements. When someone says half of x has to be y AND z. It means both requiremwnts have to be fullfilled.

So among 100 pilots there would have to be 50 black women for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    You mean like Brandon choosing Kamala Harris as his VP and nominating Kentaji Brown Jackson for the supreme court?
    First of all, his name is Joe, not Brandon. Second, fvck you, Kamala was chosen based on her experience and qualifications.