Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: United Airlines to recruit less qualified pilots in the name of diversity & inclu

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    First of all, his name is Joe, not Brandon. Second, fvck you, Kamala was chosen based on her experience and qualifications.
    If God forbid something happens to Biden, it would not give you a moment of doubt when Kamala becomes President of the United States? That thought is horrifying to me.

Default Re: United Airlines to recruit less qualified pilots in the name of diversity & inclu

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    I know it's besides the topic, but these people are payed relatively good money to write press releases and it happens regularely that they use the wrong conjunctions/logical connectives.

Propositional logic is a field of maths and quite important when making statements. When someone says half of x has to be y AND z. It means both requiremwnts have to be fullfilled.

So among 100 pilots there would have to be 50 black women for example.
    LOL - not to be a spelling monitor to match your grammarian ways - but paid, regularly, math, requirements, fulfilled (apologies if misspelling is deliberate on your part).

But, yes - "OR"

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    First of all, his name is Joe, not Brandon. Second, fvck you, Kamala was chosen based on her experience and qualifications.
    If blowing the mayor of San Francisco is a qualification Kamala has a PHd.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt View Post
    LOL - not to be a spelling monitor to match your grammarian ways - but paid, regularly, math, requirements, fulfilled (apologies if misspelling is deliberate on your part).

But, yes - "OR"
    Other than that guy I'm no english speaking native, am not paid(sic!) and didn't proofread my post while I was on the bowl.

Also I don't mind being corrected. The problem is in this day and age as a company you should be aware what you tell the public. People might pick up wrong messages.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    What about if you have 2 equally qualified pilots and the airline offers the job to a woman first instead of the man?

It's easy to say if you have a choice between minimum hours flown vs someone with 30yr experience. Of course, you would choose 30yr experience. However, that isn't the issue here.

Here's the actual argument unlike the nonsense tweet in the OP.

https://airlinegeeks.com/2024/01/14/...-pilot-hiring/

It has nothing to do with hiring but rather recruiting for training school. Think about it for a second.

So they ALL begin with 0 flying hours. Nobody has more flying experience than anybody else. 500 applicants go through multi-year training from scratch with no pilot license and no knowledge of how to fly a commercial flight. At the end of training, they get their license and practical experience of flying a commercial flight.

They would all probably have just about equal experience and flight hours on graduation day. Exam scores/gpa might vary though. I don't think it means they would all get hired though.
    I have no problem with anyone of any gender or skin color being recruited or hired as long as they are EQUALLY qualified. I assume they have some criteria for recruiting into this flight school. So based on this criteria, if a hypothetical 251st ranked white male (just outside the allotment of 250 white/male) is declined in favor of a hypothetical 501st ranked black woman, (IMO) that is where the problem will be - based on quota for gender/skin color instead of recruiting criteria. It'll be an end around to the Harvard/Asian ruling - prioritizing race and "life experiences" (as told in essay) in lieu of exam scores, gpa, merit-based evaluations.

The Truth Is Out There Media Moderator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32 View Post
    Reagan fired air traffic controllers in '81 and the Republicans cheered.
    It's what happens when you get arrogant and greedy. Regan had both the public support and courts behind him. He crushed them like an aluminum can

Other than that guy I'm no english speaking native, am not paid(sic!) and didn't proofread my post while I was on the bowl.

Also I don't mind being corrected. The problem is in this day and age as a company you should be aware what you tell the public. People might pick up wrong messages.
    Not a native English speaker - it's FANTASTIC that you picked up on the "AND/OR" error then. I wish I could speak any second language :-(

Not a native English speaker - it's FANTASTIC that you picked up on the "AND/OR" error then. I wish I could speak any second language :-(
    Well, boolean operators are the same in any language. It's just the spelling I get often pretty wrong, alot of errors also come from typing on my phone.

I wish I had time to train a 3rd language again. If you visit high school here you atleast learn two non native languages, but my italian and latin became no existent over time.

Well, boolean operators are the same in any language. It's just the spelling I get often pretty wrong, alot of errors also come from typing on my phone.

I wish I had time to train a 3rd language again. If you visit high school here you atleast learn two non native languages, but my italian and latin became no existent over time.
    Spell check :-) Just curious - what is your native language?

I'm a big tennis fan, and it tickles me pick when Federer and Djokovic switch languages so seamlessly.

Spell check :-) Just curious - what is your native language?

I'm a big tennis fan, and it tickles me pick when Federer and Djokovic switch languages so seamlessly.
    German. Swiss people like Federer are something else. They usually know atleast 4 languages by default and often italian aswell.

I turned off spellcheck, because it tends to correct similar words in both languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post
    Yes, if your nephew achieved his license we are literally equal in driving qualification.

Again, I do not agree with basing anything on skin color, that is wrong in my opinion. But if someone has obtained their pilots license and is qualified to fly, then they are qualified to fly.
    Why do you have to be 25 years old to rent a car and pay lower insurance premiums than a 16 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by Media Moderator View Post
    My crazy nephew just got his license at 16. Does that mean he's as qualified as you to drive a car.

I'm not sure how we've gotten to the point of hiring people based on the color of their skin. Why does the left always keep trying to tweak things so that when the problem is fixed, they circle it around closer to back when there was a problem?
    The answer is obvious, it is to absorb everyone into the economic sphere already owned by the current elites, rather than giving other groups impetus to start their own businesses, which the current elite would have no cut of the profits in.

I have no problem with anyone of any gender or skin color being recruited or hired as long as they are EQUALLY qualified. I assume they have some criteria for recruiting into this flight school. So based on this criteria, if a hypothetical 251st ranked white male (just outside the allotment of 250 white/male) is declined in favor of a hypothetical 501st ranked black woman, (IMO) that is where the problem will be - based on quota for gender/skin color instead of recruiting criteria. It'll be an end around to the Harvard/Asian ruling - prioritizing race and "life experiences" (as told in essay) in lieu of exam scores, gpa, merit-based evaluations.
    We don't know their training recruitment policies. And we don't even know if everyone who passes their training school would definitely get hired by United - it doesn't seem like a guaranteed job is waiting for them, but I don't know. It could also be all PR bs to make themselves look a certain way. There is a lot we don't know so what Elon musk tweeted & OP tweet is based on what they "hear" rather than any inside information or facts we are not privy to.

This is a fact: Over 96% of U.S.-based pilots are male, while 85% are White, according to career data site Zippia. So if a company says they want more diversity going forward from the training aspect, why are you quick to assume they will train incompetent fools?

Banned

We don't know their training recruitment policies. And we don't even know if everyone who passes their training school would definitely get hired by United - it doesn't seem like a guaranteed job is waiting for them, but I don't know. It could also be all PR bs to make themselves look a certain way. There is a lot we don't know so what Elon musk tweeted & OP tweet is based on what they "hear" rather than any inside information or facts we are not privy to.

This is a fact: Over 96% of U.S.-based pilots are male, while 85% are White, according to career data site Zippia. So if a company says they want more diversity going forward from the training aspect, why are you quick to assume they will train incompetent fools?
    Hey dipshit, the OP contains video featuring the United CEO's own words.

Whether some will acknowledge it or not, certain careers are more suited to one gender than the other. Pilots travel a lot - away from family and children. Just as nursing is predominantly female oriented, so too is piloting more conducive to those who are not primary care-givers.

The failure rate is already high, and flight school looks to be prohibitively expensive:

What percentage of student pilots get their license? One statistic commonly quoted is based on a 2011 study by the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, which found only 20% of flight school students achieve their private pilot certification. The FAA official numbers, which compares the number of student pilot certificates issued against the number of private pilot certificates issued, puts the number of successful students at 44%.

https://www.kingskyfa.com/post/why-s...s%20at%2044%25.

Pilot Training Cost
    How Much Money is Flight School?
    Below is an outline of how much flight training costs through ATP's Airline Career Pilot Program. ATP quotes prices based on realistic flight time requirements, providing up-front, fixed-cost pricing for becoming a pilot.

Start from
    Private Pilot Certificate Start from
    Zero Experience
    Aviation Tuition to Become a Commercial Pilot
    Flight Training Cost $83,995 $104,995
    Additional Expenses (Not Included in Program)
    FAA Examiners' Fees & Knowledge Test Fees
    (Paid Directly to Examiner & Third-Party Provider) $8,400 $9,200
    Third Party Apps $200 (varies) $200 (varies)
    iPad, Headset, Flight Bag & Other Pilot Gear $1,600 (varies) $1,600 (varies)

https://atpflightschool.com/become-a...ning-cost.html

5 Best Degrees for Becoming a Pilot:

1. Bachelor of Aviation
    The most common type of higher education to pursue for aspiring pilots is a bachelorÂ’s degree in aviation. Some higher education institutions offer this degree as part of a Bachelor of Science (BS) program, and others offer aviation education as part of a Bachelor of Arts (BA) program. Both cover everything you need to know to be a pilot.

Many Bachelor of Aviation programs award you with full commercial pilot certification upon completion. The vast majority of commercial airliners require that their pilots have a full four-year degree prior to training, and these applicants are viewed more favorably.

2. Bachelor of Science in Aviation Technology - If you have experience as a military pilot or youÂ’ve already spent time in the air in another setting, a BS in aviation technology is a good path to getting your wings.

3. Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering - still need hundreds of hours of flying experience
    4. Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Science - ditto
    5. Bachelor of Science in Air Traffic Management - ditto

https://ctipft.com/5-best-degrees-fo...(BA)%20program.
    Last edited by rmt; 01-18-2024 at 12:22 AM.