Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Who do you think Trump will choose as running mate (if he wins Repub nomination)?

It's a pity it can't be DeSantis - he is so good at executing/getting things done and with a bland personality, he's a good combo with Trump. I like Vivek's ideas, but he's so young, so new to politics and has a personality that might clash with Trump's.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Who do you think Trump will choose as running mate (if he wins Repub nomination)?

Quote Originally Posted by rmt View Post
    It's a pity it can't be DeSantis - he is so good at executing/getting things done and with a bland personality, he's a good combo with Trump. I like Vivek's ideas, but he's so young, so new to politics and has a personality that might clash with Trump's.
    The thing is, it has to be a running mate who will be an extension of Trump for 2028 and beyond. If it's a bland candidate, then a Democrat like Gavin Newsome will run circles around them in 2028 even though DeSantis did well against him in their one-on-one debate last year. The problem I have with DeSantis is that he talks too much. He's not direct and to the point. He extends his answers far past the point of the point he is trying to make and it's unnecessary. To me, it makes me want to tune him out. Where as with people like Ramaswamy, he gets to the crux of the matter immediately. Answers his questions in one sentence. To the point. Concise. The RINOs in this party and the people that support them are slowly dying out. The MAGA message will only get stronger, but it has to live on past Trump's four years if he's elected. Newsome is a terrifying candidate to consider as President in 4 years.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Tim Scott. That's why he's gotten so suddenly romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    The thing is, it has to be a running mate who will be an extension of Trump for 2028 and beyond. If it's a bland candidate, then a Democrat like Gavin Newsome will run circles around them in 2028 even though DeSantis did well against him in their one-on-one debate last year. The problem I have with DeSantis is that he talks too much. He's not direct and to the point. He extends his answers far past the point of the point he is trying to make and it's unnecessary. To me, it makes me want to tune him out. Where as with people like Ramaswamy, he gets to the crux of the matter immediately. Answers his questions in one sentence. To the point. Concise. The RINOs in this party and the people that support them are slowly dying out. The MAGA message will only get stronger, but it has to live on past Trump's four years if he's elected. Newsome is a terrifying candidate to consider as President in 4 years.
    What makes you think that maga message can live on past 2024 into 2028? Do we forget the fact of how poorly it did in 2020 and 2022? 2018 didn't look good either for maga.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    What makes you think that maga message can live on past 2024 into 2028? Do we forget the fact of how poorly it did in 2020 and 2022? 2018 didn't look good either for maga.
    How poorly you say?? More Republicans voted for Trump than any other Republican before him.

oh blade, you thought you had something there didn't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Tim Scott. That's why he's gotten so suddenly romantic.
    If Trump is prioritizing continuation of MAGA (over congressional experience/evangelical Christian vote which he NOW has), Scott is too nice/soft - he'll get killed by any Democrat. Vivek knows the Constitution/history, is very quick on his feet and presumably has been around the cutthroat business world.

DeSantis speaks too loftily (fancy vocabulary) - needs plain and simple to appeal to the common person.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Trump is all about himself. He's doesn't give a sh1t about '28. Sorry but he wants a Pence like lapdog who will not steal his thunder.

So for all you hoping for Vivek, MTG, Bobert, DeSantis, etc for entertainment purposes only, Trump does not give a sh1t what you think.

How poorly you say?? More Republicans voted for Trump than any other Republican before him.

oh blade, you thought you had something there didn't ya?
    You can't tell me that MAGA did well in 2018, 2020, and 2022, can you? Because it didn't. Independents/women in large numbers turned on them.

If it loses in November again for the 4th election in a row, what do you think is going to happen going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32 View Post
    Trump is all about himself. He's doesn't give a sh1t about '28. Sorry but he wants a Pence like lapdog who will not steal his thunder.

So for all you hoping for Vivek, MTG, Bobert, DeSantis, etc for entertainment purposes only, Trump does not give a sh1t what you think.
    and I don't think he is going to choose anyone who went after him publicly either. Might as well cross off Nikki Haley

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32 View Post

And being about himself includes the legacy that he leaves behind. Whatever you think about Trump, he has changed the Republican party from the RINO/Bush lean to a more populist party. I doubt he wants someone like Haley to be president after him - he'd rather DeSantis or Vivek.

I wish he would wait a bit for the bitterness of DeSantis' loss to subside and approach DeSantis' wife about possible VP. DeSantis would have nothing to lose trying/running as VP - he can remain Governor if Trump/DeSantis ticket loses. He really has the ideal age, experience (Congressional and Executive) and education/knowledge to carry on MAGA.

I doubt Trump is reading some obscure political board on a BASKETBALL forum - it's all speculation.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

only people that understand Trump are the base which is 65% high school grads.

I would not doubt he will pick a cheer leader .

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rmt View Post
    If Trump is prioritizing continuation of MAGA (over congressional experience/evangelical Christian vote which he NOW has), Scott is too nice/soft - he'll get killed by any Democrat. Vivek knows the Constitution/history, is very quick on his feet and presumably has been around the cutthroat business world.
    If Trump has any political strategists working for him he is being told he needs more voters than the MAGA crowd. There is no one that will vote for Trump because they like Ramaswarmy that wasn't already going to vote for him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    If Trump has any political strategists working for him he is being told he needs more voters than the MAGA crowd. There is no one that will vote for Trump because they like Ramaswarmy that wasn't already going to vote for him anyway.
    Good point. That is why he chose Mike Pence in 2016. Moderate, low-key w/ government experience, and appeals to evangelicals. Categories that Trump didn't fit.

Oh and Pence sucked up to Trump every chance he got, even after Trump went after him on lead-up to January 6. Can't forget that part.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Good point. That is why he chose Mike Pence in 2016. Moderate, low-key w/ government experience, and appeals to evangelicals. Categories that Trump didn't fit.

Oh and Pence sucked up to Trump every chance he got, even after Trump went after him on lead-up to January 6. Can't forget that part.
    same deal with biden as vp in 07/08. obama needed to comfort his donors as well as the global elites with a racist shoo-in like joe in order to offset their apprehension of the first black presidency.