Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Game right now is 55-51 8 minutes left in the second.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    someone should check out how many games there were in 2002 where both teams didn’t score 100 points then see how many times it’s happened last season
    Same year

"There are going to be games like this against a team like Denver -- they play hard and they junk the game up,'' Robinson said. "We just stayed in our game plan and I was able to get them off-balance a little in the fourth. Once that happened, it was all over.''
    Denver led 29-28 at halftime, and the 57 combined points broke a 47-year-old record by one point. The Nuggets shot 37.5 percent for the half and turned the ball over eight times, while the Pistons hit 29 percent of their shots and had 11 turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Which is why that's what I'd say to Slava.
    A few games earlier, the Raptors had 63 versus them. 80 is the lowest scored by either team in an NBA game last season. The games(team or opponent) from just the two teams in this graphic from just that season under 80? 28.

those really low games happened often enough I feel like you could give Slava an answer without saying it doesn’t happen every game.

that wasn’t even the elite Pistons D. They were sixth in opponent scoring that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    A few games earlier, the Raptors had 63 versus them. 80 is the lowest scored by either team in an NBA game last season. The games(team or opponent) from just the two teams in this graphic from just that season under 80? 28.

those really low games happened often enough I feel like you could give Slava an answer without saying it doesn’t happen every game.

that wasn’t even the elite Pistons D. They were sixth in opponent scoring that year.
    Wait what happened to "I don’t plan to argue with you. I would just like to know what you would tell that person if they asked."

I meant I wouldn’t argue with your answer. But Slava wants an answer.

2002 matchup of 49 and 50 win teams

Paul Pierce and Jerry Stackhouse lead the game with a whopping ..... 19 points.

Ben Wallace 21 rebounds.

I meant I wouldn’t argue with your answer. But Slava wants an answer.
    I did answer him.

Learning to shoot layups

3pointers, spacing, rules (no handchecking, even more relaxed traveling rules, 14 secs after off. rebounds).

Also, very few players seem to post up now (slows down the offense, makes it more predictable).

Carlisle (2nd best offense in history behind the '82 Nuggets) said this in 2019 (after he was asked why he doesn't make KP post up more):

“The post-up just isn’t a good play anymore. It just isn’t a good play. It’s not a good play for a 7-3 guy. It’s a low-value situation. Our numbers are very substantial that when he spaces beyond the 3-point line, you know, we’re a historically good offensive team. And when any of our guys go in there, our effectiveness is diminished exponentially. It’s counterintuitive, I understand that, but it’s a fact. I think there’s certain situations where it makes sense. If we can get him on a roll in the paint towards the rim, that’s a good situation. And that’s what we’ll try to do with all our guys.

We don’t post anybody up. We post Luka up every once in a while when he has a real small guy on him. But even those situations, the value of those situations has plummeted. We’ve got to realize that this game has changed. It’s changed. It’s just a fact....''

Kinda similar to what Mike Dantoni brother said when he was asked about not getting his bigs the ball for his college team:

"You see those top three teams. Golden State — do they work it [inside]? My brother in Houston, the biggest turnaround in the league — do they work it in? You can go get any computer and run what the best shots are and it will tell you the post-up is the worst shot in basketball. If you want to run down and try to get it [in the paint] to shoot over somebody, then you're beating analytics.

The best shot in basketball is that corner three. The next-best shot in basketball is any other three. Other than free throws, which we try to do, when you get to the foul line, you score 1.5 points every time you go to the foul line in the pros. It just trickles down. It's the same thing for college kids..."
    When a reporter began to ask a question, D'Antoni cut him off, saying, "I haven't finished my damn analytics story yet." He continued:

"If you can get a layup and it's clean — it's not one that's highly contested — it's [worth] 1.8 points [per attempt]. It's 1.3 from that corner, 1.27. Do you know what a post-up is, with a guy standing over top of you? It's 0.78. So you run your team down there and we'll see how long you can stay with teams that can play the other way. You've seen it in the NBA. The last two championships have been Cleveland and Golden State. What do they do? You don't see anybody post up. They just spread that thing out and go."

D'Antoni said he changed his coaching philosophy years ago, saying he used to coach like a "dummy" by trying to force post-ups.

Banned

I know OP said he didn't want to get bogged down in "this era versus that era"... but I just wanna say that I really appreciate lower scoring games where buckets aren't so easy to get.

I like the concept of teams having to work harder for a bucket. It means more. Every possession counts.

A combination of four factors have all contributed to making it much easier to score points than in 2002.

- less physicality
    - fewer paint protectors
    - more spacing
    - higher pace

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    I know OP said he didn't want to get bogged down in "this era versus that era"... but I just wanna say that I really appreciate lower scoring games where buckets aren't so easy to get.

I like the concept of teams having to work harder for a bucket. It means more. Every possession counts.
    I’ve always for the most part enjoyed low scoring games. In football too. Every score ends up meaning more and the intensity level feels higher.