Default Why did Embiid come up short in the '22 & '23 playoff?

What is the basketball reason Embiid came up short in the '22 & '23 playoff after having MVP level regular season? He legit went from Giannis level to Khris Middleton level.

Also, do you see him overcoming it this season?

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Re: Why did Embiid come up short in the '22 & '23 playoff?

Coaching matters. I think he has a good chance to do well in the playoffs.

Also, Embiid is one of those players who needs to have his points early in the game to not be discouraged. In the past few years I saw him being lethargic by the end of the 1st half. So a coach that can design plays to make his life easier while encouraging him will be a huge plus.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Playoff numbers are so skewed sometimes using the averages is tricky. One big or small game changes a series average so much. You get hurt at some point of a series and for the rest of your life people say you averaged such in such that series when for three or four games you were fine.

You play 35 or 40 minutes even in a blowout because you aren’t allowed to give up in the playoffs so you have massive garbage time stats either way. A guy might play 47 minutes. Then you factor in that regular season averages include 30 or 40 games versus shitty teams. People don’t tend to see what the player averaged versus the team in question during the regular season and just throw regular season averages versus playoff averages and compare.

It might be seven games versus an incredible defense. It just gets put under the umbrella of playoff performance, as if you’re actually a better playoff player vs a matchup that is more advantageous.

If he plays the Pacers in a bunch of 140 points games In a six game series then loses to the bucks in another six games where he puts up 26 in 42 minutes a game….when we combine his pacer and bucks averages and he averages 31 for the playoffs is that a great playoff run?

I remember people raving about Elton Brand suddenly turning into some playoff performer, because of the numbers he put up versus the suns just running and not playing D. Same S
    series Shawn Marion is putting up Elgin Baylor numbers.

Really we need to look closer at these things but it’s too much trouble.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post

Also, Embiid is one of those players who needs to have his points early in the game to not be discouraged. In the past few years I saw him being lethargic by the end of the 1st half. So a coach that can design plays to make his life easier while encouraging him will be a huge plus.
    22 is probably the only year he gets a pass. He had a good playoffs untill he broke his face.

Nobody is disappointed with his bad playoff performances more than me and he needs to prove himself to be considered truly great.

But once again it should be noted to being actual context to it all, he has only ever lost one playoff series to a lower seed in his career

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44 View Post
    22 is probably the only year he gets a pass. He had a good playoffs untill he broke his face.

Nobody is disappointed with his bad playoff performances more than me and he needs to prove himself to be considered truly great.

But once again it should be noted to being actual context to it all, he has only ever lost one playoff series to a lower seed in his career
    I want him to succeed and get to the Finals. If the Nuggets are not there, win it all. But even if the Nuggets are there I wouldn't mind the 76ers winning it. It's a healthier league with competition and not the same guy(s) again and again. I'd like Jokic to win one more MVP and one more Finals MVP in his career but if Embiid is the one denying him this year, I'm okay. They both have multiple great years ahead of them.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Wasn't he injured for like four straight years by time the POs? I don't remember for sure, so correct me if I'm wrong.

But he still had bad performances by his standards.

This year he is playing at a unreal lvl so far. The best he has ever played with a very good supporting cast. Hopefully with the POs, he'll be healthy as he can be. I would like to see him break that PO funk. It's going to be tough tho because the Celts and Bucks are no joke. And you can't sleep on Miami.

It would be cool to see Jokic vs Embiid in the finals. I think both teams matchup well together. Jokic playing amazing too. Would to see that match up and Murray vs Maxey.

Dont gimme that, coaching good or bad has nothin to do with Joel playing like a pvssycat all too often. Hes been SOFT in the playoffs. As soon as Daddy Al or Uncle Marc take out the paddle and lay that wood on lil JoJo’s butt, he crumbles. And thats when the teardrops start fallin.

Always the same old song n dance.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

He ain't built for the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Dont gimme that, coaching good or bad has nothin to do with Joel playing like a pvssycat all too often. Hes been SOFT in the playoffs. As soon as Daddy Al or Uncle Marc take out the paddle and lay that wood on lil JoJo’s butt, he crumbles. And thats when the teardrops start fallin.

Always the same old song n dance.
    Well, he was. Coaching matters still. I admit, part of this is wishful thinking. I found the NBA a lot more interesting if good players performed well in the playoffs. Especially MVP caliber players. I'm not ready to give up on Embiid. This year he has a good enough team, a good coach and some experience from the past. If he is a 2nd round exit again, I won't expect more from him, I promise. I think I like Jokic as much as you do (maybe more) but I'd love to see some big man competition.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Well, he was. Coaching matters still. I admit, part of this is wishful thinking. I found the NBA a lot more interesting if good players performed well in the playoffs. Especially MVP caliber players. I'm not ready to give up on Embiid. This year he has a good enough team, a good coach and some experience from the past. If he is a 2nd round exit again, I won't expect more from him, I promise. I think I like Jokic as much as you do (maybe more) but I'd love to see some big man competition.
    It won't be easy. I do think the team is a championship contender. But so are the Bucks. They would have to deal with the Bucks or potentially the Heat, and you can't sleep on Miami. For me, if Embiid stays healthy and still underperforms, then that isn't good. The talk of him being an RS player will be similar to James Harden. If he gets hurt, he's cursed like CP3 is. But philly or the Bucks can very well lose in the second round.

There is some great parity in the league, so it's cool to watch. But a philly vs den finals would be cool.

And 2018. And 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    It won't be easy. I do think the team is a championship contender. But so are the Bucks. They would have to deal with the Bucks or potentially the Heat, and you can't sleep on Miami. For me, if Embiid stays healthy and still underperforms, then that isn't good. The talk of him being an RS player will be similar to James Harden. If he gets hurt, he's cursed like CP3 is. But philly or the Bucks can very well lose in the second round.

There is some great parity in the league, so it's cool to watch. But a philly vs den finals would be cool.

Yes. I follow the West more closely and I have the constant feeling that out of the top (at least) 8 teams... I just don't know. Like all teams were a threat.