Question I'm so confused by what the Raptors are doing

They traded Anunoby for Barret and Quickly which on paper is a bad trade, but supposedly they didnt wanna commit to OG's next contract. Who are they planning to pay instead?

They moved Siakam, for basically Bruce Brown and draft picks, indicating they're gonna rebuild.

Today they traded a first rounder for Kelly Olynyk who is 32 and altho a Toronto native makes no real sense for a rebuilding team to acquire.

And they followed that up by trading Schroeder to Brooklyn for Dinwiddie.

What the hell is happening in Toronto?

Default Re: I'm so confused by what the Raptors are doing

The Olynyk trade was a late first and I'm sure the deal was much more for Ochai Agbaji (14th pick in 2022 draft) than Olynyk.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Olynyk, Dinwiddie and Young are expiring deals. Cap space. Young athletic wing in Agbaji

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    The Olynyk trade was a late first and I'm sure the deal was much more for Ochai Agbaji (14th pick in 2022 draft) than Olynyk.

But if TO only wanted Agbani why did Utah put Olynyk in the deal? He was supposedly being sought after by contenders, and they end up putting him in the Toronto trade as filler??

Toronto trades for a guy who wasnt getting minutes on a rebuilding team, and 32 year old kelly olynyk?? And if its all about cap space… who exactly do they think is signing with Toronto this offseason??

They know their plan better than I do but… these moves just make no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    But if TO only wanted Agbani why did Utah put Olynyk in the deal? He was supposedly being sought after by contenders, and they end up putting him in the Toronto trade as filler??

Toronto trades for a guy who wasnt getting minutes on a rebuilding team, and 32 year old kelly olynyk?? And if its all about cap space… who exactly do they think is signing with Toronto this offseason??

They know their plan better than I do but… these moves just make no sense to me.
    Jazz got a 1st round pick. That's why they did it. If you hadn't noticed Ainge lives for 1st round picks. Agbaji was in the rotation. Wasn't playing much sadly. Cap space isn't necessarily about signing anyone. It's about flexibility. Can trade into cap space too

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

They dealt this years clippers first rounder? That is not a very high price to pay and it gives them a little better a shot at being one of the play in teams

Olynyk is Canadian too so they might want him

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
    They dealt this years clippers first rounder? That is not a very high price to pay and it gives them a little better a shot at being one of the play in teams
    If thats the case then it’s kinda weird that was the best the Jazz could get for Olynyk, who was reported to be one of the more sought after players this deadline.

Just seems like a very weird trade for both sides to me. But hey Ainge and Ujiri have both won chips. I guess I can give them the benefit of the doubt.

If thats the case then it’s kinda weird that was the best the Jazz could get for Olynyk, who was reported to be one of the more sought after players this deadline.

Just seems like a very weird trade for both sides to me. But hey Ainge and Ujiri have both won chips. I guess I can give them the benefit of the doubt.
    the talk I've read was multiple 2nd's for Kelly. Got a late 1st and expiring contracts. And yes two of the best front office people in the league

Michael Grange: Bobby Webster points out that Kelly Olynyk is extension eligible, so they can have talks about contract expectations. Says Gary Trent Jr’s future is still TBD, but points out he’s 25 and a 40% 3 pt shooter so ….
    – via Twitter michaelgrange

Michael Grange: “It starts with the basketball piece … but that they are Canadian and want to be here, that goes a long way on many levels” – Bobby Webster on adding RJ Barrett and Kelly Olynyk.
    – via Twitter michaelgrange

Bobby Webster: “We were able to turn one of the picks into a good young player in Ochai and we got a steadying presence in Kelly. Financially, we were able to gain some more flexibility this summer with the Dennis trade. I think the heavy lifting was done this December-January and this deadline continued on that path, if that makes sense.”
    – via SportsNet

“Listen, we [have] followed him for a long time, we’ve been big fans of Kelly,” said Webster. “I think the way we view him specifically is he’s kind of like a steady hand and I think we’ve seen it with the bench units, especially with the bigs, he’s going to provide a skilled veteran presence, a voice that, you know, we think that that unit could use some help with and so we’re excited to have Kelly. The conversations [with him] have been great. I think he really wants to be here.”
    – via SportsNet