Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 166
  1. #151
    NBA Superstar SATAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    13,378

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    dame 3 point champ
    Dame MVP all-star game

    only other player to do it : MJ
    MJ never won a 3 point contest...

  2. #152
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
    Posts
    49,735

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    They need to sufficiently incentivize defense. I don't know how you do that with a bunch of max players in an exhibition game but that's the problem they have to address. If they aren't already doing this then pay the winning team a million per player. Treat the practice like a real practice.
    But here’s the uncomfortable truth: In this season in which the league’s inaugural In-Season Tournament paid players of the winning team $500,000 apiece, that may be the only way to fix this problem. This, apparently, is the pay-for-play era. Even if the league already has players topping the $50 million mark in annual salary and a seven-figure minimum ($1.1 million). As one league source shared afterward, when the players had talked privately about why they’d chosen this tough-to-watch style of play, the IST set the kind of precedent that won’t be forgotten anytime soon.
    – via The Athletic

  3. #153
    Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    28,744

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    They play harder in the Drew League.
    They play harder in the YMCA.

  4. #154
    NBA Superstar FultzNationRISE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    13,415

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    But here’s the uncomfortable truth: In this season in which the league’s inaugural In-Season Tournament paid players of the winning team $500,000 apiece, that may be the only way to fix this problem. This, apparently, is the pay-for-play era. Even if the league already has players topping the $50 million mark in annual salary and a seven-figure minimum ($1.1 million). As one league source shared afterward, when the players had talked privately about why they’d chosen this tough-to-watch style of play, the IST set the kind of precedent that won’t be forgotten anytime soon.
    – via The Athletic

    The IST generates revenue over the course of multiple games, on top of which only the winning team gets $500,000k, and thats mainly a big deal to the guys on lower end contracts.

    I dont think the league will see a value proposition in paying BOTH teams at LEAST $500k to play a single game, while also increasing the odds a superstar player gets hurt. Not only is the amount unlikely to be enough to make the players care, but the game just doesnt generate the kind of revenue to justify that from the league’s perspective either (as far as I’m aware).

  5. #155
    NBA lottery pick BarberSchool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spelunking Luncheon
    Posts
    5,759

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Not a great weekend for Silver.

    1. He continued to look & sound 1,000% like an effeminate alien driving a human corpse, who shouldn’t be in charge of a league of professional basketball players. All his public appearances continue to do is embarrass him, and help to further entrench and confirm the wide assortment of anti-Zionist conspiracy theories about Jews, with every additional moment they see Silver speak and try to seem human.

    2. 4 dunk contest contestants (should be 16, 1 dunk each round). McClung didn’t do anything more exciting or dope than last year. Jaime Jacquez in the dunk contest REEKS of the worst kind of race-based pandering in marketing. Anyone who knows anything about dunking knows he shouldn’t be there.

    3. Ionescu didn’t win, but did very well from men’s distance. However, her personality and looks are simply so lesbian and unsexy and boring that all of her efforts still will not increase any type of viewership for the WNBA. Women will never care, and men won’t either unless they’re at least half fine. The league is currently maybe less than 5% fine.

    4. Game was an absolutely embarrassing, low energy, lazy, Sunday morning scrimmage.

  6. #156
    Saw a basketball once
    Join Date
    Jun 2023
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    They should cancel the whole All Star Weekend.

    1. As an European, i knew not even one of those Celebrities in the Celebrity Game. For me it was watching a bunch of unknown and uninteresting People playing bad Basketball.
    2. The Skills Contest was a chaotic and messed up running around and throwing Balls in an uncontrollable fashion. The Passing Hole was so big that my Grandmother could have hit it with a Blindfold. I don´t know what they mean with "Skill".
    3. The 3 Point Contest was nice to watch but concluded to an absurd contest when after the Contest Steph Curry hit more than any Participants in his Duel against the female Player from the WNBA
    4. The Dunk contest was boring like 90% of the Times in the last 20 years.
    5. The All Star Game was a Disgrace for this Sport and a shame for the NBA.

  7. #157
    Euros rule NBA, UMAD? Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    9,579

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    - replace skills contest with 1 on 1

    - open up the dunk contest to professional non-NBAers. Limit the judges to past contest winners

    - USA vs World all-star game. Move the time up a few hours

    - Cap the number of 3s to like...25 attempts I guess. You want to keep shooting from distance after that? No problem, you only getting 1 point. Not 2. 1. Or go even more radical and make dunks and layups worth 3 and the 3 point distance shots worth 2. Actually make the paint something to defend instead of a ****ing layup line.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 02-21-2024 at 09:47 AM.

  8. #158
    Very good NBA starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    8,260

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by TJ44 View Post
    They should cancel the whole All Star Weekend.

    1. As an European, i knew not even one of those Celebrities in the Celebrity Game.
    Yeah, but you probably don't realize that the african-american community view the All Star Game as a sort of holiday of sorts, a "Black Thanksgiving"

    "Considering that the culture of basketball in a predominantly black league like the NBA is so strongly connected to African American culture, the NBA All-Star weekend has turned into a celebration of African American culture by extension,
    This kind of racist thinking is what ruined the NBA.

    Silver allowed racists to convince him that the NBA and basketball was only black and that having any demands of players in the NBA was thus the same as being racist.

  9. #159
    NBA Superstar FultzNationRISE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    13,415

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

    - USA vs World all-star game. Move the time up a few

    Pointless now. The International Team would be Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, Shai, and Luka.

    USA wouldnt even be competitive if the Internationals actually play hard. The only thing that could balance it out for the Americans is a prime LeHercules, but he’s 39 now and cant take on the world by himself anymore.

    USA would get embarrassed.

  10. #160
    Serious playground baller Nowoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    452

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    - replace skills contest with 1 on 1

    - open up the dunk contest to professional non-NBAers. Limit the judges to past contest winners

    - USA vs World all-star game. Move the time up a few hours

    - Cap the number of 3s to like...25 attempts I guess. You want to keep shooting from distance after that? No problem, you only getting 1 point. Not 2. 1. Or go even more radical and make dunks and layups worth 3 and the 3 point distance shots worth 2. Actually make the paint something to defend instead of a ****ing layup line.
    Stars won't do it so no-one will care.

    They've done this before outside the NBA. No-one cares. It's not the dunks that matter, it's the players performing them. Without superstars and narratives, its boring and tedious.

    Won't make any difference. It will be the same shitty play with different teams.

    Makes a mockery of the game and something even more approaching a shootaround. Plus the ASG is full of uncontested dunks with wide open lanes. There will just be even more of them.

  11. #161
    Euros rule NBA, UMAD? Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    9,579

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Pointless now. The International Team would be Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, Shai, and Luka.

    USA wouldnt even be competitive if the Internationals actually play hard. The only thing that could balance it out for the Americans is a prime LeHercules, but he’s 39 now and cant take on the world by himself anymore.

    USA would get embarrassed.
    The US can still field KD, Steph, Lebron, Kawhi, Dame, Tatum, Booker, AD, Ant-man, Halburton, PG13, KAT, Mitchell, Kyrie. And Embiid could suit up for the US for all we know? The very top end may be International-centric but USA could still field a deeper 12 man roster of talent with the higher number of 2nd and 3rd tier stars.

  12. #162
    NBA Superstar FultzNationRISE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    13,415

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The US can still field KD, Steph, Lebron, Kawhi, Dame, Tatum, Booker, AD, Ant-man, Halburton, PG13, KAT, Mitchell, Kyrie. And Embiid could suit up for the US for all we know? The very top end may be International-centric but USA could still field a deeper 12 man roster of talent with the higher number of 2nd and 3rd tier stars.

    Im not really counting guys like Lebron, KD, Steph and Kawhi when it comes to “going forward.” Sure theyd still balance the USA out for the next year or two, but thats it.

    When you talk about the under-30 lineups, Internationals have a supreme starting 5, and a very strong bench to boot with Zingis, Sabonis, Siakam, Lauri, J Murray.

    Itd prob be ideal for balance to make it “America” (US + Canada) so you can take Shai and Murray off the internationals.

    If you include Canada as International it’s just really really bad.

  13. #163
    Bitch Hands fsvr54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,007

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Two ideas anyone with a brain would love:

    Dunk contest has to become a poster contest, dunk on a 7ft beast defender.

    Three point contest should be with some kind of arm or stick in the face of the shooter

  14. #164
    Euros rule NBA, UMAD? Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    9,579

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Im not really counting guys like Lebron, KD, Steph and Kawhi when it comes to “going forward.” Sure theyd still balance the USA out for the next year or two, but thats it.

    When you talk about the under-30 lineups, Internationals have a supreme starting 5, and a very strong bench to boot with Zingis, Sabonis, Siakam, Lauri, J Murray.

    Itd prob be ideal for balance to make it “America” (US + Canada) so you can take Shai and Murray off the internationals.

    If you include Canada as International it’s just really really bad.
    Yeah that's a fair point, when the millennial American stars are gone in a few years that will widen the gap. Assuming Wemby pans out its even worse.

    I dont know what the solution is, but what we saw last weekend will continue to worsen the brand and Silver very clearly doesn't have the cajones his predecessor did.

  15. #165
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
    Posts
    49,735

    Default Re: 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Events Discussion

    why play in the all-star game if you're not able to play before or after?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •