Question Which players in NBA history had the best "re-jump-ability"?

You know, when a player - usually a big - jumps not once but twice, three times, or even more. It's a trait synonymous with general two-footed quick leaping and is highly valued in big men. Along with good hands and feet. Here's a GIF example:

Last edited by Im Still Ballin; 02-13-2024 at 04:16 AM.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Re: Which players in NBA history had the best "re-jump-ability"?

The ones whose jumps are not high or you can't really consider them real jumps but are tall enough with long arms and timing for them to make another 'jump' attempt worth it. Jokic does the same thing McHale does in this clip but his jumps are... well... he isn't really jumping. It can be pretty successful though if you time it right and you are in the right spot. Jokic has lots of offensive boards and many of them are on re-jumps but he elevates 13 inches on three attempts. Total.

However, I nominate Dennis Rodman.
    Last edited by elementally morale; 02-13-2024 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    The ones whose jumps are not high or you can't really consider them real jumps but are tall enough with long arms and timing for them to make another 'jump' attempt. Jokic does the same thing McHale does in this clip but his jumps are... well... he isn't really jumping. It can be pretty successful though if you time it right and you are at the right spot. Jokic has lots of offensive boards and may on them on re-jumps but he elevates 13 inches on three attempts. Total.

I agree. Jokic is a quick leaper with fantastic re-jump-ability; he just doesn't jump high. He also has great feet, hands, and touch that maybe only McHale and Hakeem come close to. I remember he went to a sports clinic that works with NBA athletes and tested in the 99th percentile (top 10 ever) for a test that measures how fast you get your hand 10'6" off the ground.

In the summer of 2014, before his first NBA season, he made a pilgrimage to work out at the Peak Performance Project sports clinic in Santa Barbara, California. I had several conversations with P3’s founder, Marcus Elliott, about this seminal visit, which lasted for five weeks.

“The first day I met him he said, ‘My basketball good. My body not so good,’ ” Elliott said. “He grabbed his little belly.”

One doesn’t need highly sophisticated computer equipment to observe that Jokić can’t jump, but his time at P3 provided a highly detailed set of data to underpin the less observable fact that his feet and his fingertips are connected to an unusual degree.

My first conversations with Elliott took place after the start of the pandemic, when he had moved his family to the Alps. My sense of him on a secluded mountaintop, in the clear Alpine air, added to the already prevalent sense I had, when talking to him about his lab, of a nearly spiritual quest to get at a simple truth by using complex data. The simple truth of Jokić was that it doesn’t matter how far your feet get off the ground. What matters is how quickly you can get to the ball. Jokić had one of the lowest vertical jumps ever measured at P3.

Elliott spoke of P3’s 10.6 drill, which measures how fast an athlete can get their hand to a spot 10.6 feet off the ground. This is about where a basketball would be as it bounces off the rim. “The idea is that getting there quickly is more important than how far off the ground you get with your feet. Nikola was in the top 10 of all time.”
    Jokic also shares another trait with McHale: he can play "hands up"/shoot with the ball above his head. Doesn't need to bring the ball down to his waist or chest to dip before releasing his shot.

If the Celtics, who own the Seattle SuperSonics' draft pick, get into the May 11 lottery and win it, look for Red Auerbach, the Celtic president, to select Brad Daugherty. Auerbach has been touting the North Carolina center for weeks. ''He plays with his hand up like Kevin McHale,'' said Auerbach. ''He could be another McHale for us, a 6-11 guy, who can play with center or power forward for us.''
    Last edited by Im Still Ballin; 02-13-2024 at 04:37 AM.

Very good NBA starter

Rodman for sure.

I bet Rodman could have been a track and field athlete. Something like triple jump or hurdling or even high jump. He had incredible explosiveness.

Rodman's the first one that comes to mind but Barkley had great rejump ability as well.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Rodman's the first one that comes to mind but Barkley had great rejump ability as well.
    If you jump high enough you are still in the air by the time you should/could rejump. There are very few players who can actually jump but sometimes decide not really to or not really high at least and Barkley was one of them. Wemby does the same thing on many of his blocks. Sure he has the standing reach to do it but he can also jump. When he goes for a rebound he usually 'jumps'. When he goes for a block he rejumps and rejumps. It's a mental skill. Are there any shorter players who are good at this? I remember Manu Ginobili doing this. Any PGs?

If you jump high enough you are still in the air by the time you should/could rejump. There are very few players who can actually jump but sometimes decide not really to or not really high at least and Barkley was one of them. Wemby does the same thing on many of his blocks. Sure he has the standing reach to do it but he can also jump. When he goes for a rebound he usually 'jumps'. When he goes for a block he rejumps and rejumps. It's a mental skill. Are there any shorter players who are good at this? I remember Manu Ginobili doing this. Any PGs?
    Come to think of it, no-one comes to mind( to your last question) but maybe that's because PGs aren't really in the paint battling for rebounds or protecting the rim so that ability wouldnt typically be on display.

NBA rookie of the year

Barkley seemed to be really good at this.

Gotta mention Hakeem, but Worm is definitely in that debate.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Moses

Banned

The ones whose jumps are not high or you can't really consider them real jumps but are tall enough with long arms and timing for them to make another 'jump' attempt worth it. Jokic does the same thing McHale does in this clip but his jumps are... well... he isn't really jumping. It can be pretty successful though if you time it right and you are in the right spot. Jokic has lots of offensive boards and many of them are on re-jumps but he elevates 13 inches on three attempts. Total.

Jokic has a quick "re-jump" because he only jumps like 4 inches to begin with. Doesn't take him that long to get back down.

7-time NBA All-Star

Kg, ad

NBA Superstar

Zion is one of the best I've ever seen in this area. At least before the injuries and weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon View Post
    Gotta mention Hakeem, but Worm is definitely in that debate.
    Hakeem is great, but I think he re-jumped even better on defense to block shots. In one sequence in a game vs the Seattle Supersonics, Olajuwon blocked Kemp twice. This was near the hoop, and on the first block it was a partial one, and Kemp got it back and went stronger. So did Hakeem. That ball flew out there well past three point land, and Kendall Gill got it, and tried to swoop in to dunk on Hakeem. Of course he failed.