Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1986 Celtics

13 86.67%
  • 1987 Lakers

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1986 Celtics vs. 1987 Lakers

The apex versions of the two historic 80's dynasties...

Who wins a 7-game series between them?

1986 Celtics are more revered historically but I think it's a coin toss.

Default Re: 1986 Celtics vs. 1987 Lakers

Probably like either the 1984 or 1985 Finals. Like you said: a coin toss. I'm biased toward Boston because I like their size and passing game.

I'd go with Boston, they had a lot of injuries to key players in '87 and still gave the Lakers a tough Finals, one they could have possibly won if not for Magic's baby hook. If they get a run at them fully healthy like they were in '86, they'd be my pick.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    The apex versions of the two historic 80's dynasties...

Who wins a 7-game series between them?

1986 Celtics are more revered historically but I think it's a coin toss.
    I would have to pick the 86 Celtics. If I remember correctly, Boston that year beat LA both times in the regular season and in the game in LA = McHale did not play due to injury and Boston still won. Walton was healthy the whole year for the 86 Celtics and he had a big impact. In the 87 Finals Parish had an ankle sprain, McHale was playing with a broken bone in his foot, Walton tried to play but his feet were a mess. Even Ainge had a sore knee from a knee to knee collision in the previous series. Also Wedman was on the 86 Celtics but gone in 87? That 86 Celtics team had great ball movement and a lot of size!

kareem is too past his prime by 87. 86 celtics are also a step above any of their other teams that were neck and neck with showtime with walton off the bench.

Wow really surprised how one-sided it is for Boston so far. I think LA matches up well with them and they were one or two Tragic Johnson plays in 1984 away from going 3-0 against the Celtics in the Finals. Voted LA to even out the polling lol

Quote Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
    I would have to pick the 86 Celtics. If I remember correctly, Boston that year beat LA both times in the regular season and in the game in LA = McHale did not play due to injury and Boston still won. Walton was healthy the whole year for the 86 Celtics and he had a big impact. In the 87 Finals Parish had an ankle sprain, McHale was playing with a broken bone in his foot, Walton tried to play but his feet were a mess. Even Ainge had a sore knee from a knee to knee collision in the previous series. Also Wedman was on the 86 Celtics but gone in 87? That 86 Celtics team had great ball movement and a lot of size!
    The '87 Celtics were an injury riddled mess and still took the Lakers to 6 games. The '86 Celtics would have swept the '87 Celtics easily. This should answer the question.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Wow really surprised how one-sided it is for Boston so far. I think LA matches up well with them and they were one or two Tragic Johnson plays in 1984 away from going 3-0 against the Celtics in the Finals. Voted LA to even out the polling lol
    Point taken about the 84 Celtics but the 86 team was much better. For the starters Henderson was replaced with Ainge = a much better shooter and Maxwell was replaced with McHale = a much better offensive threat and a better defender. Also in 86 Walton was healthy and won the 6th man of the year award. Walton's passing and size were an inspiration to his teammates. Also off the bench ( and not on the 84 team) was Jerry Sichting = another good outside shooter. The 86 team had great chemistry both on and off the court.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic View Post
    The '87 Celtics were an injury riddled mess and still took the Lakers to 6 games. The '86 Celtics would have swept the '87 Celtics easily. This should answer the question.
    The '86 Celtics didn't even sweep the '86 Rockets, they're not sweeping the '87 version of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    The '86 Celtics didn't even sweep the '86 Rockets, they're not sweeping the '87 version of themselves.
    That Rockets team was no joke. If they kept it together and stayed away from the crack, they may have won a couple of chips.

What gets in all this is that Len Bias would have been on that '87 Celtics squad.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic View Post
    That Rockets team was no joke. If they kept it together and stayed away from the crack, they may have won a couple of chips.
    Would the '86 Rockets beat the '87 Celtics?

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    Would the '86 Rockets beat the '87 Celtics?
    Probably yes. With Walton out and Parish less than 100%, Hakeem would have feasted, and Sampson would have been a problem too.

Ralph Sampson was playing the best basketball of his life in the '86 Western Conference Playoffs. He averaged 22.1 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 4.3 apg, 1.7 spg, 2.1 bpg on 54.8% FG, 72.8% FT, and 59.3% TS. Not enough praise is given to McHale for locking him up like he did. Held him to 14.8 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.8 bpg on 43.8% FG and 48.7% TS.

Quote Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
    Point taken about the 84 Celtics but the 86 team was much better. For the starters Henderson was replaced with Ainge = a much better shooter and Maxwell was replaced with McHale = a much better offensive threat and a better defender. Also in 86 Walton was healthy and won the 6th man of the year award. Walton's passing and size were an inspiration to his teammates. Also off the bench ( and not on the 84 team) was Jerry Sichting = another good outside shooter. The 86 team had great chemistry both on and off the court.
    Good post.

And no doubt the 86 Celtics were better than in 84 but the 87 Lakers were also the best Lakers team of the 80's.