Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default The athleticism of todays athletes really would be too much for my idols to play.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: The athleticism of todays athletes really would be too much for my idols to play.

Glorified scrimmage league.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: The athleticism of todays athletes really would be too much for my idols to play.

Joe could play in any era. Looks like he's packing some pounds

Thought that was a rec league/celeb game for a second looking at Joe's pudgy body

College superstar

Advancement has been so fast that they don't look comparable anymore to players of the past

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Never heard anybody say today's players are more athletic. They just have more shooting skill. Everybody can shoot long range nowadays and back then 50% of your starting lineup couldn't.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Never heard anybody say today's players are more athletic.

Im gonna take a moment to think but at a glance….that may be the least true thing ever posted.

Someone has said the back half of that sentence every 15 minutes of basketball discussion for a good 40 years. There is absolutely no way you have never heard it. I suspect I could give you 500 recent examples if I had nothing better to do with the next few hours.

Everyone knows Joe Ingles isn't the most athletic player out there. Poorly executed bait thread.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

marching band spacing

almost like a dance routine or marching band, not basketball

today's game isn't a real sport - it's more like a routine like golf or figure skating.. spaced-out, hands-off, beginner format

The league is more athletic than ever. More skilled than ever. More talented than ever. The infrastructure around the game(marketing, medical, training, scouting, etc) is better than ever.

But the individual player is also dumber than ever. More distracted. Less knowledgeable about how to play team basketball. Less of a natural feel for the game because more of their reps have come from skills work rather than pickup.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    The league is more athletic than ever. More skilled than ever. More talented than ever. The infrastructure around the game(marketing, medical, training, scouting, etc) is better than ever.

But the individual player is also dumber than ever. More distracted. Less knowledgeable about how to play team basketball. Less of a natural feel for the game because more of their reps have come from skills work rather than pickup.

^^^ and also growing up in a spaced-out, hands-off "beginner" format yields layups/threes skillset, so less touch to shoot in-traffic and over packed-paints (aka mid-range), and less quick instinct as required in the lesser-spaced, more physical "advanced" formats

We see the inferior instinct and weaker touch in traffic gets exposed in the international game where we drastically underachieve our talent due to weaker actual basketball ability (weaker touch, simpleton instinct developed by beginner format.. if this were boxing the current era is deontay wilder and previous eras is the nuanced skill of prime fury or salvador sanchez or mayweather)
    Last edited by 3ba11; 02-14-2024 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post

Microcosm of us as a society.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Never heard anybody say today's players are more athletic. They just have more shooting skill. Everybody can shoot long range nowadays and back then 50% of your starting lineup couldn't.
    What?! That's one of the most common things I've seen said about today's players vs yesteryears.

And it is.

By the time Joe released it, shotclock was under 5 ? Lol