Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Are the Sabonises the only father and son to both be All-NBA level?

Mychel and Klay Thompson.

I don't think Mychel ever made any all NBA teams, but young Portland Mychel is 15 and 10.

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    No, but he wasn't "all NBA" either when he arrived to the NBA.

That being said, they are probably the best father/son duo in the NBA.

Usually with NBA father/sons its either the son who is the star and the father who is the bum:
    kobe & joe bryant
    steph & dell curry
    devin & melvin booker
    lebron & delonte west

or its the father who is the star and the son who is the bum:
    rick & brent barry
    patrick & patrick ewing jr
    tim hardaway & thj
    lebron & bronnie
    A bit harsh on Tim Hardaway Jr. to classify him as a bum. He's started almost half of his career.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Bobby Bonds and his son is probably the best pro sports father/son combo. Willie Mays is also Barry’s Godfather.

Between them all there are two with GOAT cases and one borderline hall of famer (Bobby)

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I’d like to acknowledge Julio Cesar Chavez, and his son, both being world champions. And being in the south, I’m sure there are white people nearby who would demand I mention the Earnhardts.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Bobby Bonds and his son is probably the best pro sports father/son combo. Willie Mays is also Barry’s Godfather.

Between them all there are two with GOAT cases and one borderline hall of famer (Bobby)
    Bobby borederline HOFer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I’d like to acknowledge Julio Cesar Chavez, and his son, both being world champions. And being in the south, I’m sure there are white people nearby who would demand I mention the Earnhardts.
    You and warriorfan are bringing up other sports now

can't quit me!

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I is an NBA example of an all NBA father and son. Sabonis was still a really good player his first few years, but we are talking about being all NBA when the competition is Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, and Patrick Ewing to begin with. And then you have Alonzo Mourning and Mutombo. So at that late stage of his career with all the injuries he was 90s center all nba level. He was all nba by the standards of the late 2010s when guys like Deandre might be first team and Rudy, Drummond, and whoever would slide in there.

Id take him over those guys but even though he more than held his own he wasn’t night in night out the level of all nba centers in his day post injury.

I say that having watched him make Shaq and Drob types go harder than they wanted. But he just wasn’t his young self and didn’t play that much for a while.

Klays dad is another guy like that. Not close to all nba in his time but he was probably a 20/10 guy for a minute or two for the Blazers.

Klay's dad had a 20.8/11.7 season but he never really came close to that otherwise. 18.4 and 9.4 (in separate seasons) being the best he ever did otherwise in either category.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I is an NBA example of an all NBA father and son. Sabonis was still a really good player his first few years, but we are talking about being all NBA when the competition is Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, and Patrick Ewing to begin with. And then you have Alonzo Mourning and Mutombo. So at that late stage of his career with all the injuries he was 90s center all nba level. He was all nba by the standards of the late 2010s when guys like Deandre might be first team and Rudy, Drummond, and whoever would slide in there.

Id take him over those guys but even though he more than held his own he wasn’t night in night out the level of all nba centers in his day post injury.

I say that having watched him make Shaq and Drob types go harder than they wanted. But he just wasn’t his young self and didn’t play that much for a while.

Klays dad is another guy like that. Not close to all nba in his time but he was probably a 20/10 guy for a minute or two for the Blazers.
    Klay's dad was considered a huge underachiever if I remember. First pick in the draft wasn't he? He was a great backup on the Lakers

Jimmy Walker and Jalen Rose.

Local High School Star Chick Stern's Avatar

Bill & Luke

Local High School Star Chick Stern's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeerghit View Post
    Sabonises?
    It’s Saboners