Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Shots fired during Chiefs super bowl parade.

Welp, I think we can finally file this under "Nobody gives a fukk anymore".

Don't think we'll be getting that follow up segment on Sportscenter any time soon. It's not like anyone who died that day is as important as George Floyd.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    Welp, I think we can finally file this under "Nobody gives a fukk anymore".

Don't think we'll be getting that follow up segment on Sportscenter any time soon. It's not like anyone who died that day is as important as George Floyd.
    If it ain't White on Black or Cop on Black, the media doesn't care.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Every mass shooting is filed under "Nobody gives a fukk anymore" and that is something leftists scream all the time. I think the main issue with this is that only one person died so it's not a mass shooting. For a single murder it got a ton of attention. There are routine single murders every day that no one ever hears of, from every race.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post
    Every mass shooting is filed under "Nobody gives a fukk anymore" and that is something leftists scream all the time. I think the main issue with this is that only one person died so it's not a mass shooting. For a single murder it got a ton of attention. There are routine single murders every day that no one ever hears of, from every race.
    So then why did George Floyd get so much attention? If we're operating under this same logic, Floyd was just one person. People of all races die during police encounters all the time.

A woman was killed and 22 others were shot and injured, including young children. Why do their lives matter less than George Floyd?

So then why did George Floyd get so much attention? If we're operating under this same logic, Floyd was just one person. People of all races die during police encounters all the time.

A woman was killed and 22 others were shot and injured, including young children. Why do their lives matter less than George Floyd?
    Who said that their lives mattered less?

Floyd's protest was much more about police brutality all over the US than it was about George Floyd the human. Hopefully you got that.

Banned

Who said that their lives mattered less?

Floyd's protest was much more about police brutality all over the US than it was about George Floyd the human. Hopefully you got that.
    Clearly their lives mattered less because this woman's death is receiving a fraction of the attention and coverage that George Floyd received, even though violent gun toting thugs are responsible for more deaths than "police brutality" by a huge margin.

By that logic, shouldn't her death be receiving MORE attention?

Clearly their lives mattered less because this woman's death is receiving a fraction of the attention and coverage that George Floyd received, even though violent gun toting thugs are responsible for more deaths than "police brutality" by a huge margin.

You aren't actually using sound logic if you think media attention equates to life importance.

The woman who died here is receiving a million times more attention than you will receive when you die. By your logic her life matters a million times more than yours does.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

In the publics eyes, police brutality against blacks is something that can be changed, with enough media attention. The George floyd thing was a perfect storm and shouldn't be compared to other instances. You have a white cop, a black victim, a polarizing video, and during a time of extreme tension in the country.

This parade shooting was never gonna get a fraction of the attention unless it was a calculated attack and much more people died. I agree the general public is incredibly stupid and fixate their attention on the wrong stuff. But that's just the nature of people, and the media knows this.

Banned

You aren't actually using sound logic if you think media attention equates to life importance.

The woman who died here is receiving a million times more attention than you will receive when you die. By your logic her life matters a million times more than yours does.
    Uh, I don't expect celebrities and athletes to give a fukk when I die because they won't know I exist.

Like you said, this shooting received tons of media attention. That means there's no excuse. All of these media outlets and all of these famous celebs are aware a woman was fatally shot that day, yet no one in the public eye is even saying this woman's name. Why?

Where is the call to action? Where's her hashtag? Why isn't she getting the George Floyd treatment?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    In the publics eyes, police brutality against blacks is something that can be changed, with enough media attention. The George floyd thing was a perfect storm and shouldn't be compared to other instances. You have a white cop, a black victim, a polarizing video, and during a time of extreme tension in the country.

This parade shooting was never gonna get a fraction of the attention unless it was a calculated attack and much more people died. I agree the general public is incredibly stupid and fixate their attention on the wrong stuff. But that's just the nature of people, and the media knows this.
    So you're saying that the media puts a disproportionate amount of energy behind stories where white perpetrators are involved?

Wow, you don't say.

So you're saying that the media puts a disproportionate amount of energy behind stories where white perpetrators are involved?

Wow, you don't say.
    Somewhat yes, but if the perps were white I still think the nature of this particular instance would have the same amount of media attention. It's not just a race thing, it's a narrative thing. Obviously race was important in the Floyd situation, but the narrative of a white cops vs black victims was the overall narrative. Even if the KC shooting was drawn out by whites and a black person was killed, it wouldn't have nearly the same pull as Geogre Floyd. The scenarios are apples to oranges.

Banned

Somewhat yes, but if the perps were white I still think the nature of this particular instance would have the same amount of media attention. It's not just a race thing, it's a narrative thing. Obviously race was important in the Floyd situation, but the narrative of a white cops vs black victims was the overall narrative. Even if the KC shooting was drawn out by whites and a black person was killed, it wouldn't have nearly the same pull as Geogre Floyd. The scenarios are apples to oranges.
    You are fukking crazy if you don't think this would be a bigger story if a black child were killed by a white shooter. In fact the only reason the media even stuck around for as long as it did was to wait and see if the shooter was white.

If it were a black child dead, you would know that child's name right now. The media would have been certain about that.

You are fukking crazy if you don't think this would be a bigger story if a black child were killed by a white shooter. In fact the only reason the media even stuck around for as long as it did was to wait and see if the shooter was white.

If it were a black child dead, you would know that child's name right now. The media would have been certain about that.
    If 2 white thugs got into a gun fight and 1 adult died, the attention would be similar.

You are now changing the scenario. If a child died, then it would just be another "gun rights" issue like every other shooting that involves children.

This wasn't a premeditated killing of innocent people. Not sure why you're struggling with this

Banned

If 2 white thugs got into a gun fight and 1 adult died, the attention would be similar.

You are now changing the scenario. If a child died, then it would just be another "gun rights" issue like every other shooting that involves children.

This wasn't a premeditated killing of innocent people. Not sure why you're struggling with this
    I'm sorry, I thought you said "child" in your other post... my mistake.

Having said that, my point still stands. If the shooter(s) had been white and the victim had been a black female adult, this would still be a bigger story than it is now. At the very least you would see the woman's family featured more often.

It doesn't matter if this wasn't a premeditated killing. The fact of the matter is that this woman was needlessly murdered during a high profile media event and nobody wants to have a discussion about it.

Also, let's not forget Tyre Nichols. That is probably the most horrific instance of police brutality ever caught on film, worse than Rodney King even. But because the cops were black, the same people that wept for George Floyd couldn't be bothered.

I'm sorry, I thought you said "child" in your other post... my mistake.

Having said that, my point still stands. If the shooter(s) had been white and the victim had been a black female adult, this would still be a bigger story than it is now. At the very least you would see the woman's family featured more often.

It doesn't matter if this wasn't a premeditated killing. The fact of the matter is that this woman was needlessly murdered during a high profile media event and nobody wants to have a discussion about it.

Also, let's not forget Tyre Nichols. That is probably the most horrific instance of police brutality ever caught on film, worse than Rodney King even. But because the cops were black, the same people that wept for George Floyd couldn't be bothered.
    Maybe there would be more attention, but I argue the narrative is what brings the attention, not the race alone.

There was a shooting 6 months ago at a dollar general where a white dude killed 3 innocent black people. He was just a crazy white racist. It got covered but got nowhere near the attention of George Floyd. Not even a fraction.

The narrative of 2 white thugs accidentally killing a black person wouldn't move the needle much in terms of social justice outcry, which is what you're seemingly making the case for. It's just a more complex thing than what you're painting it as.

Now you can make the case that if the shooters were white, and killed blacks in a premeditated manner, then there would be more attention payed than if the roles were reversed. I'd be more inclined to buy into that hypothetical scenario.