Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Banned

Default Re: Shots fired during Chiefs super bowl parade.

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Maybe there would be more attention, but I argue the narrative is what brings the attention, not the race alone.

There was a shooting 6 months ago at a dollar general where a white dude killed 3 innocent black people. He was just a crazy white racist. It got covered but got nowhere near the attention of George Floyd. Not even a fraction.

The narrative of 2 white thugs accidentally killing a black person wouldn't move the needle much in terms of social justice outcry, which is what you're seemingly making the case for. It's just a more complex thing than what you're painting it as.

Now you can make the case that if the shooters were white, and killed blacks in a premeditated manner, then there would be more attention payed than if the roles were reversed. I'd be more inclined to buy into that hypothetical scenario.
    So then what is your explanation regarding Tyre Nichols? Why wasn't he given the Floyd treatment?

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    So then what is your explanation regarding Tyre Nichols? Why wasn't he given the Floyd treatment?
    Well obviously it doesn't fit the narrative that white cops are corrupt and racist towards black people. I'm not disagreeing with your overall sentiment here, I just don't understand why you're using the KC shooting to try and prove your point. I think if the KC shooters were white it would be just as much of a "non story".

Why didn't the 3 innocent blacks killed by a white guy get the Floyd treatment? Timing and narrative play a big part. There are a lot of factors when it comes to virality. Floyd was the perfect storm, it's not the normal response.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

In terms of sheer media attention, OJ killing Nicole is probably the GOAT. Black man killing white woman.

Banned

Well obviously it doesn't fit the narrative that white cops are corrupt and racist towards black people. I'm not disagreeing with your overall sentiment here, I just don't understand why you're using the KC shooting to try and prove your point. I think if the KC shooters were white it would be just as much of a "non story".

Why didn't the 3 innocent blacks killed by a white guy get the Floyd treatment? Timing and narrative play a big part. There are a lot of factors when it comes to virality. Floyd was the perfect storm, it's not the normal response.
    The Floyd response was entirely orchestrated though. It wasn't organic, as proven by the total non-reaction to Tyre Nichols.

The Floyd incident was making rounds on social media but lots of things make rounds on social media. If the government and media apparatus didn't throw gasoline on the fire, it wouldn't have escalated to nearly the same degree. Look at how quickly the media stopped covering Covid in favor of Floyd. It was like Covid didn't even exist. The ENTIRE machine was behind Floyd.

The only reason you even know Floyd's name is because the powers that be wanted you to know it. Otherwise he would just be another dead junkie.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post
    In terms of sheer media attention, OJ killing Nicole is probably the GOAT. Black man killing white woman.
    It requires a highly exceptional individual to even think about posting this.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    The Floyd response was entirely orchestrated though. It wasn't organic, as proven by the total non-reaction to Tyre Nichols.

The Floyd incident was making rounds on social media but lots of things make rounds on social media. If the government and media apparatus didn't throw gasoline on the fire, it wouldn't have escalated to nearly the same degree. Look at how quickly the media stopped covering Covid in favor of Floyd. It was like Covid didn't even exist. The ENTIRE machine was behind Floyd.

The only reason you even know Floyd's name is because the powers that be wanted you to know it. Otherwise he would just be another dead junkie.
    You are ignoring the context of when it happened. During covid lockdown, people bored at home, and lots of unrest.

This BLM/Social justice shit comes and goes in waves. Summer 2020 was the peak of that wave and media companies were just supporting the demand for outrage. They didn't orchestrate anything, they capitalized on it for views.

I'm sure in 2 years there will be another peak and we'll see more of this BLM nonsense because the demand for it will be there again.

Decent playground baller

Floyd happened as many were in heavy debates over Kaepernick and kneeling during the National Anthem. And many other questionable police killings led up to it. But aside from it being a perfect storm of events the main thing is that the video footage was extremely graphic and compelling. There is a huge difference between being told someone was killed and witnessing the killing. And if there was graphic footage of this woman being shot and killed I bet more people would know her name. And on the flip side, had Floyd's death not been recorded, I bet that protests would have never had happened.

Video footage is powerful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates View Post
    Floyd happened as many were in heavy debates over Kaepernick and kneeling during the National Anthem. And many other questionable police killings led up to it. But aside from it being a perfect storm of events the main thing is that the video footage was extremely graphic and compelling. There is a huge difference between being told someone was killed and witnessing the killing. And if there was graphic footage of this woman being shot and killed I bet more people would know her name. And on the flip side, had Floyd's death not been recorded, I bet that protests would have never had happened.

Video footage is powerful.
    This theory of yours clearly doesn't hold any water because Tyre Nichols's death was also caught on film. The body cam footage was released that same week.

If video footage is so powerful, how come there wasn't a national uproar over the Nichols story? His death was objectively worse and far more tragic.

Banned

You are ignoring the context of when it happened. During covid lockdown, people bored at home, and lots of unrest.

This BLM/Social justice shit comes and goes in waves. Summer 2020 was the peak of that wave and media companies were just supporting the demand for outrage. They didn't orchestrate anything, they capitalized on it for views.

I'm sure in 2 years there will be another peak and we'll see more of this BLM nonsense because the demand for it will be there again.
    Lmao, sorry not going to let you get away with this willful ignorance.

It wasn't just media companies capitalizing on something trending. There was a clear effort on behalf of the government and it's media propaganda arms to turn Floyd into a holy symbol. Do you recall the golden casket? Do you recall politicians and media pundits telling people it was their duty to go out and protest and make their voice heard? Outright ignoring the violent riots and gaslighting anyone who dared to talk about them?

Remember the NBA? Remember the slogans on the floor and the uniforms? You think that was organic? Lol. The NBA was part of it.