Default Moneyball - The Streak

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Moneyball - The Streak

Such a great movie

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Best sports movie ever.

What's crazy about those Oakland A's teams is between 2000-03 they had 9 chances to win a playoff series and they lost EVERY single one of them I've never seen anything like that.

That '01 team in particular, the one from the season before Moneyball was one of the most stacked teams I've ever seen.

Giambi, Tejada, Chavez, Damon, Dye in the lineup, Zito, Hudson, Mulder in the rotation with Isringhausen closing.

I'll always wonder how they would have fared against the 116 win Mariners and the eventual champion Dbacks if they managed to close out the Yankees.

yea... the Oakland A's had 3 healthy ace starting pitchers for 2001 & 2002

If you still have Hudson, Zito, Mulder (and Cory Lidle)... you're still a contender even if you lose Giambi and Damon.

Their pitching was about as good as it gets... Any team that has great starting pitching is in the hunt.

you can get away with having average hitters if you have supreme pitching... and Oakland had that, so this actually changes the dynamic of the entire story for me.

Pitching wins championships. The ERA on those 3 pitchers and the amount of innings they pitched... any team is going to be good, and could get away with having below average fielding & hitting.

The Salary Cap is the focal point (or the amount of money they had their disposal in terms of payroll)... how they went about finding good players for dirt cheap is what's interesting... the Moneyball statistical equations to produce wins is less interesting to me with Hudson, Zito, Mulder in your rotation.

Other than that... the movie is a 10/10 Masterpiece.

The scene where Jonah Hill is calling the shots in the Cleveland office is underrated comedy gold...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkWkXBWD1Cc