Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: How good do you think Chet's talent is?

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    He's doing a great job as the fourth or fifth best player on a great team. But he's never going to be an all-star again. Simmons is a three time all-star who made all-NBA once....something Kristops will never do. I think Chet at worse will make All-NBA atleast once.

As for Bam 3 title runs with 3 all-star appearances and leadership of a perennial team he's a MAX contract guy.

Webber on the other hand had an MVP run was all-NBA five times (along five all-star appearances)

All five are PF/C's from roughly the same era who rank highly but not to highly

1. Webber
    2. Bam
    3. Simmons
    4. Kristafs
    You really think Porzingis is the 4th or 5th best player on the team?

Cali Love

He got killed by Giannis today

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brownmamba00 View Post
    He got killed by Giannis today
    watching the game , t reminded me of a 2 on 2 game I played when I was 40 and the other team were 20.
    Bucks played like men... Oak played like boys.

Facts Are Misleading

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    So like…one of the 10-15 best players ever?

Pretty lofty ceiling there.
    Durant's one of the top 15 players ever after he retires and it's almost entirely based on his offense.

He has never made an all NBA defensive team in his career and besides the Warriors years he hasn't really locked in on that side of the ball consistently.

You add DPOY level defense to the Durant total package and it's one of those guys who is on the short list of two players for best ever. It's pretty inarguable that if Durant had Chet's level of defense for his entire career he would be viewed much differently.

So like…one of the 10-15 best players ever?

Ceilings are always lofty.

Brandon Ingram used to have Durant ceiling too.

So likeÂ…one of the 10-15 best players ever?

I think you guys are misinterpreting each other.

Durant's scoring ability was elite and uncommon in 2012. That year, when Durant made his first finals, the league took an average of 18 threes per game and scored 96 points per game. Which is what made his scoring special. Today it takes 35 per game and scores 114.

If you add elite defense to 2012 KD, then you have an extraordinary player.

But there are a lot of guys now who score now the way Durant did then. His career average is 27 ppg. This season there are 12 players doing at least that (if you round up from 26.5). And that doesnt include Lebron or Jokic, who easily could if they tried.

Durant's game was special in Durant's day. It isnt as special anymore. So Chet duplicating that plus adding defense doesnt mean he's gonna be a GOAT.

It just means... his offensive ceiling is to be as good at scoring as KD was, and he's also a better defender.

And all of that is true.

The floor on greatness is just higher now.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 03-24-2024 at 11:42 PM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I think you guys are misinterpreting each other.

Durant's scoring ability was elite and uncommon in 2012. That year, when Durant made his first finals, the league took an average of 18 threes per game and scored 96 points per game. Which is what made his numbers impressive. Today it takes 35 per game and scores 114.

If you add elite defense to 2012 KD, then you have an extraordinary player.

But there are a lot of guys now who score now the way Durant did then. His career average is 27 ppg. This season there are 9 players doing at least that. And that list doesnt include Curry, Lebron, or Jokic, who easily could if they tried.

Durant's game was special in Durant's day. It isnt as special anymore. So Chet duplicating that plus adding defense doesnt mean he's gonna be a GOAT.

It just means... his offensive ceiling is to be as good at scoring as KD was, and he's also a better defender.

And all of that is true.

The floor on greatness is just higher now.
    Okay..sure.

Even IF that were true, Chet doesn’t have close to the ability that Durant had from a handle/shooting perspective. He’s never shown anything remotely on that level in that area.

Okay..sure.

Even IF that were true, Chet doesn’t have close to the ability that Durant had from a handle/shooting perspective. He’s never shown anything remotely on that level in that area.
    I would disagree about the handle, I dont think Durant has any meaningful separation there, or at least not any that matters much. He's neither an exceptional playmaker nor finisher in the paint. I guess he's good at getting to his midrange spot off the dribble. But Chet can offset that by being a better finisher at the rim, which he is.

And sure Chet is not the shooter right now that prime KD became.

But heres the thing.

Rookie Chet: 54% FG, 39% 3PA.

Rookie KD? 43% and 29%.

Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 03-25-2024 at 12:09 AM.

Also if you watch Chet, his bag is MUCH deeper than Durant's.

KD is really a guy who mainly relies on getting into his shooting rhythm and then just being unstoppable. That's really all he does. Which is great, but it's fairly one dimensional.

Look at Chet's highlights from just this season so far and you'll see post moves, behind the back passes in transition, alley oop finishes, crafty ball fakes and all that.

He has a much more all around game than KD. If he becomes the shooter that prime KD was - which is definitely within the realm of possibility considering he clearly has range and touch - he's just gonna be the better player. I dont see what would stop him besides injury.

Facts Are Misleading

They don't even resemble each other from the way they play. That's what you're missing. Chet isn't coming off pin downs 20 times a game. He's not running pick and roll as the main ball handler. He's not going 1 4 flat like Durant on a consistent basis.

They are both tall and lanky with high level shooting ability. That's where the comparison stops.

Durant the previous two years was doing 30 a game on damn near 70 TS. He was doing that at age 33 and 34 off Achilles, what do you think a younger Durant would be doing in this league?

Chet ain't like that. He ain't coming into Steph Currys team and taking the lead role away from him.

Facts Are Misleading

We in here talkin bout a soon to be 22 year old averaging 17 a game projecting him to be the best pure scorer of his era.

Think about how wild that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    We in here talkin bout a soon to be 22 year old averaging 17 a game projecting him to be the best pure scorer of his era.

Think about how wild that is.
    Nobody's projecting that tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    They don't even resemble each other from the way they play. That's what you're missing. Chet isn't coming off pin downs 20 times a game. He's not running pick and roll as the main ball handler. He's not going 1 4 flat like Durant on a consistent basis.

They are both tall and lanky with high level shooting ability. That's where the comparison stops.

Youre right, it’s not a perfect playstyle comparison. Chet doesnt do the same things off-ball that KD does, and KD doesnt clean up around the basket like Holmgren. The comparison is mainly about the combination of length and mobility with shooting they can provide on the perimeter.

Still I dont see any reason Holmgren wont be scoring 27 ppg by the time he’s 25. He’s 21 right now.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    watching the game , t reminded me of a 2 on 2 game I played when I was 40 and the other team were 20.
    Bucks played like men... Oak played like boys.
    It's kinda unfair to compare somebody whose almost still a teenager to a 30 year old man. Giannis was a stick figure back then too and I bet Chet will be much stronger in a decade. With the key difference being he can score without offensive fouling and traveling and palming because he's actually skilled.

OKC is a paper tiger this year due to their youth though ill give you that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    It's kinda unfair to compare somebody whose almost still a teenager to a 30 year old man. Giannis was a stick figure back then too and I bet Chet will be much stronger in a decade. With the key difference being he can score without offensive fouling and traveling and palming because he's actually skilled.

OKC is a paper tiger this year due to their youth though ill give you that.
    chet doesn't have the drive as giannis.

Chet pushed around like a whimp last night.
    Lopez had him most of the night and played soft on him...
    Chet zero stat line equals = I will watch these pro's from the floor look.