Default Does anyone watch hockey?

I’ve tried a couple times to get into it but it never stuck. It has always seemed like a cool sport to get into: it’s both fast and graceful yet physical and violent. It’s not like it’s a struggling sport. NHL games regularly sell out across North America. NHL has solid TV deals. And hockey is a past time especially in northern climates. So what’s the issue?

I did pay attention to the LA Kings last Stanley cup runs and tbh I enjoyed watching all the games. I was never bored. But lost interest immediately the day after they won those cups.

And you can’t tell me it’s lack of scoring. Soccer has similar scoring and still has its own dedicated thread on this forum.

Maybe it’s just tough to get into a new sport when you’re well into adulthood. I inherited my interest in NBA from my dad and loved it since childhood. Soccer and baseball have similarly been occupations throughout my child hood. Maybe it’s just a cultural thing that I will never get into hockey. Think I might try again this summer though.

P.S. football is gay.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Does anyone watch hockey?

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    I’ve tried a couple times to get into it but it never stuck. It has always seemed like a cool sport to get into: it’s both fast and graceful yet physical and violent. It’s not like it’s a struggling sport. NHL games regularly sell out across North America. NHL has solid TV deals. And hockey is a past time especially in northern climates. So what’s the issue?

I did pay attention to the LA Kings last Stanley cup runs and tbh I enjoyed watching all the games. I was never bored. But lost interest immediately the day after they won those cups.

And you can’t tell me it’s lack of scoring. Soccer has similar scoring and still has its own dedicated thread on this forum.

Maybe it’s just tough to get into a new sport when you’re well into adulthood. I inherited my interest in NBA from my dad and loved it since childhood. Soccer and baseball have similarly been occupations throughout my child hood. Maybe it’s just a cultural thing that I will never get into hockey. Think I might try again this summer though.

P.S. football is gay.
    I would go to some games when the Sharks came to the bay area. They used to play at the Cow Palace just outside San Francisco. It’s a lot better to go in person. I can’t explain why but in person is a much better experience than TV. Although my ceiling of interest had a cap on it seeing that I never played growing up. I didn’t really have a level of understanding of the game as I do in other sports. I have a similar feeling for soccer. But I would try to follow the Sharks and they did have some really good teams but would always choke in the playoffs. I haven’t followed it at all in along time. I think i’m over it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

i prefer the college game , much more pure ....

My Badgers are sharks in the northern conference

Hockey has by far the biggest disparity between watching it live and on tv. In person, hockey just might be my favorite sport to watch. It's fast paced, very little stoppages, and the crowd stays into it from beginning to end. On tv though, it's legitimately unwatchable to me, I can't even identify what it is, but for whatever reason, I feel like hockey doesn't translate to tv at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Hockey has by far the biggest disparity between watching it live and on tv. In person, hockey just might be my favorite sport to watch. It's fast paced, very little stoppages, and the crowd stays into it from beginning to end. On tv though, it's legitimately unwatchable to me, I can't even identify what it is, but for whatever reason, I feel like hockey doesn't translate to tv at all.
    There are plenty of time during intermissions to get food and go to washroom as well.

Some TV play-by-play announcers do compensate the unwatchable part of the hockey game on TV similar to TV soccer. There are some of GOAT play calls in pro sports.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I have been told this a few times. I just need to go to a game. You can say that about any sport tho. But hockey for sure.

I love hockey. I love how every goal is a celebration. It was better when they had goons and you had the element of heavyweight fighting. Playoff hockey is another level.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Hockey is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid View Post
    I love hockey. I love how every goal is a celebration. It was better when they had goons and you had the element of heavyweight fighting. Playoff hockey is another level.
    There are still goons but they rarely fight for no good reasons nowadays plus they also demand goons that can actually play at much higher level than before as well.

i used to.... but the moving digital board ads have made me stop watching any games...... it's simply too distracting now.

Hockey is a great sport. No TV timeouts extend further than a minute 45 seconds, constant action, great hits, eye hand coordination is off the charts all while doing it on thin skates.

The game is extremely taxing so that's why you rarely see a player exceed 27mins (usually D-men) over the 60min game.

It completely blows soccer away in terms of what it brings viewer wise.

Hockey is much better live because you get the full affect of how physical it is and you really need to be able to see the whole rink. TV doesn't capture those things.