Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: How many teams would you say have the best team that franchise has ever had?

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post
    Wouldnt a modern team die by the three against the old defensive rules? Guys would be banged up just trying to get open unlike in todays league where its a free shot with just a few passes because of the amount of protection that shooters have.
    It's not just about the rules. Modern players put more work into three point range than players of the past. The old school player may be able to defend his man out there but he would have to stick to that guy harder than players did back then making it harder to double-team the star. Teams of the past would often have two or more guys that you didn't worry about as shooters. It would generally be an advantage.

Default Re: How many teams would you say have the best team that franchise has ever had?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    It's not just about the rules. Modern players put more work into three point range than players of the past. The old school player may be able to defend his man out there but he would have to stick to that guy harder than players did back then making it harder to double-team the star. Teams of the past would often have two or more guys that you didn't worry about as shooters. It would generally be an advantage.
    Yeah but the shooting percentages wouldnt be the same against the old defensive rules making that strategy much much less effective. Driving to the paint to create for shooters outside wouldnt be as easy if guys are allowed to handcheck and be more physical.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post
    Yeah but the shooting percentages wouldnt be the same against the old defensive rules making that strategy much much less effective. Driving to the paint to create for shooters outside wouldnt be as easy if guys are allowed to handcheck and be more physical.
    When a star gets doubled there is an open man out there. Handcheck doesn't matter. It would be more important when we are talking about containing a scorer off the dribble and the tech for putting your foot under a shooter.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I’d like to see some of the modern off ball guys have to deal with the way people like Reggie were defended. He certainly wasn’t aggressive enough, but he also wasn’t taking 13 shots a game when he was consistently wide open. And he would be neck and neck with Steph as the best off ball player in the league right now.

granted they weren’t as focused on getting him open from three, but I would say the defense was generally more allowed to prevent it. Pretty much everything done to slow him is a textbook foul, the way the league beat it out of players the first season they changed the freedom of movement rules.

Go watch the example videos and how they called it the first preseason. Dudes were getting back to back to back fouls and just totally stopped trying to hand fight and deny position. The change was more drastic than many people let on.

Nuggets are the obvious choice.

An interesting one would be the clippers, with their main competition being the teams within the past 4 years. I don’t think Lob City era at its peak was as solid as the current iterations.