Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Big 3 offers Caitlin Clark 5 million to join

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Wha Is WNBA players are mad at ice cube for offering her this much money to play a few games in the WNBA off-season when they’ve all been saying they should have avenues in America to make enough money to not have to go overseas. Theyre saying he isn’t truly supporting women’s basketball.
    I still dont understand the overseas revenue model for women's basketball. I know a lot of the women players have gone to Russia, but Russia is a much poorer country per capita than the US, not to mention one with a much more traditionalist view on gender roles. Who's watching women's basketball over there in the first place, and how exactly is the country finding money to pay women's basketball players when even rich US leagues and sponsors cant give them more than a pittance?

Seems very suspect.

Wha Is WNBA players are mad at ice cube for offering her this much money to play a few games in the WNBA off-season when they’ve all been saying they should have avenues in America to make enough money to not have to go overseas. Theyre saying he isn’t truly supporting women’s basketball.
    It will amount to more eyes on the Big 3 for the novelty of her squaring off against men than uplifting the WNBA. That much I do agree with. If this was about uplifting the womans game why not throw some money at Angel Reese or Briney Griner a few years ago? Or maybe have a female Big 3 league?

It's quite clearly capitalizing on the fact that Clark's name is all over ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I still dont understand the overseas revenue model for women's basketball. I know a lot of the women players have gone to Russia, but Russia is a much poorer country per capita than the US, not to mention one with a much more traditionalist view on gender roles. Who's watching women's basketball over there in the first place, and how exactly is the country finding money to pay women's basketball players when even rich US leagues and sponsors cant give them more than a pittance?

Seems very suspect.
    Oustide of the top soccer clubs, most of the professional teams in europe are not making any profit. Usually its just wealthy individuals who run these teams as a hobby. All they care about is winning, rather than making money. So they dont mind paying out of their own pocket, since there is no salary cap or any financial limitations

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK View Post
    Oustide of the top soccer clubs, most of the professional teams in europe are not making any profit. Usually its just wealthy individuals who run these teams as a hobby. All they care about is winning, rather than making money. So they dont mind paying out of their own pocket, since there is no salary cap or any financial limitations

Yeah but they're paying American women, with first world salary expectations, to come play a sport nobody's watching over there? When they could just pay women from the third world, or find something else to do with their money entirely?

I know it still amounts to peanuts for them but I'm just not buying that Russian oil billionaires are paying WNBA players to come over there just because the owners wanna win women's basketball games. American sports owners are filthy rich and they wanna win too, and they dont give a shit about the WNBA except as a social justice charity. At least they're American owners paying mostly American ladies. Russian owners paying even MORE for American female players to come throw the ball around in Russia? Doesnt make a lot of sense. I mean I dont think it's like a covert prostitution biz or anything becuase we're talking about WNBA players. Britney Griner and such. It wouldnt really make sense. But I just dont get the purpose. I find it hard to believe they're setting up entire women's basketball leagues that pay more than the American ones, just for the personal individual enjoyment of a few rich owners.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 03-28-2024 at 01:44 PM.

I watched her last game, she got locked up and was forcing shots, they barely won. Not that I'm sexist, but she would get locked up by everyone (that is anyone) because no dude wants to be embarrassed by a woman.

I'm a fan of hers though, I would rather watch her than men's college ball since I don't know anyone either.

Good High School Starter

If she wants a legacy in women's sports she sticks with the WNBA. If she wants more money than she is likely to earn from a lifetime of playing in the WNBA, she takes that deal.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    If she wants a legacy in women's sports she sticks with the WNBA. If she wants more money than she is likely to earn from a lifetime of playing in the WNBA, she takes that deal.
    It’s 16 times the WNBA maximum salary to play 10 games. No reason not to do both.

Because they see him putting up $5m to permanently put the "she could play with the guys" speculations to bed forever for everyone.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el View Post
    Because they see him putting up $5m to permanently put the "she could play with the guys" speculations to bed forever for everyone.
    On offense, she might do great in the BIG3. She can literally just stand in three point range.

On defense, she'd get posted up and destroyed.

This is the most gangsta move Ice Cube has ever done

Quote Originally Posted by Street Hunger View Post
    On offense, she might do great in the BIG3. She can literally just stand in three point range.

On defense, she'd get posted up and destroyed.
    There is no way she is getting past or shooting over a post-NBA league player. There would have to be screens to get her open. I'll admit I don't know what kind of shooter she is (curry vs korver) but if she is good off the ball she has potential.

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    I heard they will unveil her statue at Crypto at the end of the nba regular season
    With her name spelt wrong.