Question The new 'tweeners'

Tweener used to refer to guys who were sort of in between positions from a size perspective. It had kind of a negative connotation because it implied the guy wasnt ideally suited for either position.

Nowadays you dont really hear of that as much because if guys can score nobody really cares what size they are at their position.

Instead of the traditional two guards, a small forward, power forward, and center, it's more just about one or two playmakers, surrounded by play finishers (shooters, roll men, whatever).

Which leaves a new kind of tweener: The Paul George, Jayson Tatum types who can do some of both, but really arent elite at anything, and theyre kind of in between roles. Youre not gonna win by expecting one of these guys to 'take over.' And yet their skill set kind of pressures a team to use them as more than just shooters. So you end up kind of using them more than what really makes sense, because they have so much talent it feels wasteful not to play through them. Even when it doesnt make mathematical sense to do it.

In terms of optimally efficient offense, you really only need one or two elite playmakers on the court, and then everyone else just finishing. When I say playmakers, if theyre guys like Kawhi or Embiid who can make plays for themselves and convert at an elite level, then that basically counts. Otherwise you want the ball in the hands of a very capable passer. But if youre running a bunch of iso for second-rate scorers, even when you can see they have a lot of talent 'in theory'... it's kind of awkward and not really gonna win you a championship.

It just makes me wonder if players like George and Tatum are gonna keep getting paid like guys that caliber are used to, when it becomes more and more clear they cant really make the impact people expect they would. Theyre tweeners that dont maximize offensive effectiveness. Kinda the equivalent of a Rudy Gay from 15 years ago. Giving that guy a max doesnt behoove your odds for success. He may have a lot of basketball talent, but he doesnt really fit in a well oiled machine so well.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 03-29-2024 at 01:33 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: The new 'tweeners'

Yeah, I think the NBA physique has become less robust west african in its physique and more lanky sudanese. It's the long legged skinny wing that can quickly cover ground on defense that is sought after.

I see these long wings as utterly boring, someone like Malik Monk, so boring. Jayson Tatum, so boring.

These are not star phenotypes, they're glue guys, literally, long wingspan, that can cover the wing to the post on defense.

For a star, you need fast twitch muscle or maximum muscle fiber density. Slav phenotype.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Yeah, I think the NBA physique has become less robust west african in its physique and more lanky sudanese. It's the long legged skinny wing that can quickly cover ground on defense that is sought after.

I see these long wings as utterly boring, someone like Malik Monk, so boring. Jayson Tatum, so boring.

These are not star phenotypes, they're glue guys, literally, long wingspan, that can cover the wing to the post on defense.

For a star, you need fast twitch muscle or maximum muscle fiber density. Slav phenotype.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth View Post
    What a crazy, but true, thing I wrote

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth View Post