Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default How many rip Hamilton’s equal one Jokic, LeBron, or Steph?

What’s the conversion rate?

And of course I don’t mean rip Hamilton specifically. I just mean really good players. People who arent superstars, but are consistently very very good. Pick whatever player you want to represent this. Call them Antawn Jamisons. Desmond Banes. I don’t care what you call them. How many units of that measurement is fair for a healthy happy and under contract one of the other guys?

Of course, you wouldn’t trade a healthy, happy and under contract version of that player to begin with but were being abstract. I remember when Kobe demanded to be traded, and the Lakers were reported to Tell a couple teams they want your four best players to start with. For the bulls who had an offer they might have accepted(but apparently Kobe wouldn’t because he wanted to play with Deng) that would’ve looked like Deng Gordon, Tyrus Thomas(briefly a big deal due entirely to One alleyoop and what I think was a coast-to-coast dunk At LSU) and Nocioni maybe. Kirk was definitely one of the bulls four best players but I’m not sure if he was in the reported deal or not and I’m speaking all of this into my phone while I’m on the highway like an idiot so I’m not going to check right now.

at the time people were coming up with a lot of possible deals like that. The Pistons had one that Was probably some combo of rip Prince and change. I’ll look all this up when I stop and maybe fix some of the typos

My question is how many players like that would make it worthwhile from a basketball perspective.

Can it even be done?

We have talked before about how it’s better to have one mega star than two or three All-Stars but how far do we have to take it?

If your team had seven people who were as good as Rashard Lewis at their respective positions, would that be better than having a single LeBron or Jokic?

The Pistons knocked off the lakers with 4. Duncan did it without having another one in 03. It can be done.

Does that make it wise to try?

Give me your idea of a run of the mill really good non superstar player…and tell me how many of that guy is worth a peak Steph/Lebron/Shaq/Kobe/whoever guy.

What’s the conversion rate that gets you to answer that phone after they email you the rough draft of a deal?

5 to 1?

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Re: How many rip Hamilton’s equal one Jokic, LeBron, or Steph?

5 to 1 if we are talking really good players is more than you need. I view the current Celtics team as one without a superstar but full of very good players.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Brown
    KP
    Jrue
    White
    Horford

They work for these purposes as a 5-1 I suppose. Tatum might make it too good a package.

The Celtics are the ones you would have to convince to come to the phone once you add Tatum.

The other 5 is a solid offer for this situation.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    5 to 1 if we are talking really good players is more than you need. I view the current Celtics team as one without a superstar but full of very good players.
    You don’t think Tatum’s a superstar? Sheesh. Do you think he’s top 5? 10?

Yeah, four or five.

Keep in mind the elite stars also MAKE other guys higher level players. They turn Boobie Gibson into Rip Hamilton. They make Mario Chalmers a champion. They carry Avery Bradley to titles.

But if youre gonna give Lebron a team of Bradley, Chalmers, Joel Anthony etc and ask me how many Rips and Antawns etc you have to give the other team to make it even, it's probably four or five.

Basically the Larry Brown Pistons vs Lebron/scrubs, you get a pretty even series.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    You don’t think Tatum’s a superstar? Sheesh. Do you think he’s top 5? 10?
    Top 10ish for me. But if I want a team from scratch I'd probably select Sabonis before Tatum. I do think Tatum is a very good player but not a superstar, no. But Anthony Davis isn't one, either. And I think I'd take him before Tatum. We can call them stars.

Back in the day I used to think superstar is a household name. Someone even your grandma knows. Like Magic, Bird, Shaq, Jordan, Kobe or LeBron. If we speak in a basketball fans only community, Tim Duncan is a superstar and so is Nikola Jokic, Luka or Giannis. Tatum is a tier lower.

It's hard cause of salary cap. Even very good players will command max salary or close to it. One Jokic at max is much better than ten Desmond Banes all demanding max.