Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Facts Are Misleading

Default Safe to say Jalen Green is a bust?

He's still young but he hasn't gotten any better in three years, which is alarming.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Safe to say Jalen Green is a bust?

Pr everything depends but when it comes to the draft? It really really depends. Would you say that everyone drafted top three who isn’t an All-Star is a bust? Would you say Ben Gordon is a bust? That being drafted top three automatically means your team expects you to be a superstar? you look at the list he’s not even close to being among the biggest disappointments taken that high.

He’s like Ron Mercer or something. Scores a bit. Make some nice play here and there. He’s definitely younger than most. 2 would get that label. He’s 21. He could still be in the NBA in 17 years. Plenty of guys taken till 25 or or 26 to break out like Joe Johnson. And they last forever.

What are we calling a guy like Jeff Green? Drafted high and meant to be part of a young core that would grow into stars together. He never did that much but he’s been a serviceable player for like 16 years.

What do you need to get out of a player for him not to be a bust?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Though it does raise a question, I brought up in a topic I can’t find right now. It was about do you consider a good thing to draft a borderline All Star. The way the cap is set up they limit the cost of legends by increasing the cost of all really good players. so is it worth it to draft a rip Hamilton or a Michael redd who have a fair market value in the upper 200 million range? To keep your job and show you made the right decision you would want to extend such players and in the right circumstance they’re obviously useful. But not so much as your best player.

But the market rate is the rate. Are you better off with an absolute bust than making a good kid that isn’t a historically great one a max or near max player?

If you wanna look at it like that, maybe he’s a bust. If they decide to keep him, it’s going to cost a fortune, regardless of his impact on winning. And I don’t think front offices usually want to let young guys they drafted really high walk because it reflects poorly on them. You can’t go to your owner and say I ****ed up and wasted three years let’s not dig the hole any deeper. He might just say you were right and get rid of you and the players you drafted.

But a guy who scores 20 and has a few highlights? You just pay the outrageous fee all these young players are destined to get from someone and talk about continuing to build. It’s probably better for job security.

You can decide to feature pretty much anybody who can score 20 a game in the league right now and drag them up to that 24 range to get All Star talk And you can increase his value.

A lot of ways to look at it. I wouldn’t say he’s a bottom line bust. He might be a bust in that he’s going to cost more than you want to pay To just not have to admit you got it wrong.

Very good NBA starter

I don't even know who he is.

I'm at the point that I won't comment on young guards until year 3 or so, because they come into the league so raw and underdeveloped physically, that you can't really say.

Unless they go be great right away of course.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I've never watched him in a game where the Celtics weren't the opponent and I don't remember anything about him from those games but statistically he's better than Jaylen Brown was in his third year and on par with Brown in his 4th year. That's a little unfair because Brown didn't get featured the way a top three pick normally would by his third year but it illustrates that its too soon to label Green a bust, especially with a career ppg close to 20.

This guys scoring is all over the place. You look at his 19.7 ppg average and think ‘hm that’s not bad’ but it doesn’t mean he’s giving you 20 every night. He’ll go off for 30 one game and then go a quiet 10 points the next game (although he did have a nice stretch during that winning streak). He’s not a bust by any means but inconsistent guys are my least favorite guys in the NBA to have on your team. I like knowing that guy a going to guarantee a particular type of statistical output every night, whether it’s a top tier all nba guy or a role play spot minutes type of dude. I like knowing what I’m getting from guys. He doesn’t fall under that category. Consistent is the best thing you can be in this league.

And yeah, the usage of the word ‘bust’ is being employed way to liberally lately. A bust is a lotto pick who is halfway out of the league by his 4th or 5th year

Definitely not a bust. WTF. Dude is just finishing up his 3rd season with avgs of 20/4/5 and led Houston to an 11 game winning streak a few games ago.

Someone like Mateen Cleaves or Jonny Flynn or Adam Morrison or Sébastian Telfair are considered bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Though it does raise a question, I brought up in a topic I can’t find right now. It was about do you consider a good thing to draft a borderline All Star. The way the cap is set up they limit the cost of legends by increasing the cost of all really good players. so is it worth it to draft a rip Hamilton or a Michael redd who have a fair market value in the upper 200 million range? To keep your job and show you made the right decision you would want to extend such players and in the right circumstance they’re obviously useful. But not so much as your best player.

But the market rate is the rate. Are you better off with an absolute bust than making a good kid that isn’t a historically great one a max or near max player?

If you wanna look at it like that, maybe he’s a bust. If they decide to keep him, it’s going to cost a fortune, regardless of his impact on winning. And I don’t think front offices usually want to let young guys they drafted really high walk because it reflects poorly on them. You can’t go to your owner and say I ****ed up and wasted three years let’s not dig the hole any deeper. He might just say you were right and get rid of you and the players you drafted.

But a guy who scores 20 and has a few highlights? You just pay the outrageous fee all these young players are destined to get from someone and talk about continuing to build. It’s probably better for job security.

You can decide to feature pretty much anybody who can score 20 a game in the league right now and drag them up to that 24 range to get All Star talk And you can increase his value.

A lot of ways to look at it. I wouldn’t say he’s a bottom line bust. He might be a bust in that he’s going to cost more than you want to pay To just not have to admit you got it wrong.
    Ron Mercer was horrendous. Definitely a bust.

Very good NBA starter

I stand by my assessment that players who come into the league tatted from head to toe are not going to become stars.

He was a starter all year (I think) on a team that exceeded expectations, so he must not have been too bad. Calling him a bust at this juncture seems random.

That said I cant say I watched him at all, so I dunno. He does have a pretty weak fg%.

But bust feels like too much.

Definitely not a bust. You can say he's been disappointing relative to where he was drafted but it's still early. He's been wildly up and down but March was the best month of his career 28/6/4 with a TS of 61%.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    He's still young but he hasn't gotten any better in three years, which is alarming.
    Not true. He's gotten infinitely better. As a rookie, he was one of the worst player in the NBA that's getting minutes. Now, he's a decent player.

That's about the difference of current Jordan Poole and RJ Barrett.

Cali Love

Houston might have to choose between Alpo and Green in the near future. Green started balling out after Sengun injury.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by brownmamba00 View Post
    Houston might have to choose between Alpo and Green in the near future. Green started balling out after Sengun injury.
    Alperen is a rarer player, seems like he can be a Sabonis-lite maybe.

Trade Jalen for a bunch of picks or maybe trade up this summer.