Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Rock n Roll HOF announces 16 new inductees

Look at some of those names that already made it in. I can guarantee you don't have a clue who many of these people are nor see any connection to their influence on music.

Your Sabbath worship is a little weird.

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post

Maiden should be in the HOF, but they didn't invent a genre of music like Sabbath did. Sabbath is also pretty responsible for grunge (the Melvins, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were all huge fans) and heavily influenced Black Flag who are a seminal hardcore punk band. Maiden isn't remotely close to their influence.
    All I'm saying is that the R&R HOF is a joke because it's basically a bunch of elitist rock music snobs who have inducted a bunch of bands and artists few people even know about. Like who the hell is Suzanne de Passe? Alexis Korner? How are these people influential? There in and Maiden isn't? You look at any poll of the GOAT metal bands and Maiden is always near the top and a bunch of lesser known and influential bands are in. The R&R HOF is garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    All I'm saying is that the R&R HOF is a joke because it's basically a bunch of elitist rock music snobs who have inducted a bunch of bands and artists few people even know about. Like who the hell is Suzanne de Passe? Alexis Korner? How are these people influential? There in and Maiden isn't? You look at any poll of the GOAT metal bands and Maiden is always near the top and a bunch of lesser known and influential bands are in. The R&R HOF is garbage.
    Sure I agree but also metal needs its own HOF as it's been a distinct genre for decades now.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Iron Maiden didn't make very good music TBH, and I like a lot metal.

I mean, it's not like they had a lot of chart topping hits.

They are more known for their album cover art than their actual music.

College superstar

Alright, DMB finally made it!

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post

I'd say people who aren't deep into metal enjoy Iron Maiden more than Black Sabbath. Not sure how that translates to this stupid elitist club though.
    What do you consider deep into meral? I enjoy Maiden tjan Sabbath for quite a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    Korner was the glueguy for the british bluesscene in the early 60s.

I'm already happy Kraftwerk got in 2 years ago. Next up, Giorgio Moroder.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    What do you consider deep into meral? I enjoy Maiden tjan Sabbath for quite a while now.

Drunk? I shouldn't even have to explain the "deep into metal" comment.

Drunk? I shouldn't even have to explain the "deep into metal" comment.
    No, tired and typing on my phone. It's a legit question. For some people being deep into metal means listening to Amon Amarth, while others call anyone who listens to bands that sold more than 500 copies as poseurs.
    For the format radio, spotify top 10 listening general population even Iron Maiden is an unknown band, while in terms of metal they're mainstream.

Maiden should be in the HOF, but they didn't invent a genre of music like Sabbath did. Sabbath is also pretty responsible for grunge (the Melvins, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were all huge fans) and heavily influenced Black Flag who are a seminal hardcore punk band. Maiden isn't remotely close to their influence.
    Maiden pretty much spawned power metal. I get you love Sabbath and they're really high on my list of great bands. Sure they're the godfathers of metal, but they are not the one singular band that formed the genre. When you listen to isolated drumtracks you wouldn't guess that Sabbath is a metal band but a slow blues band.

MoR laid down the ground work for some sludge* and doom for sure, for alot of heavy metal riffing in general. Their occult imaginery was a blueprint for bands to follow, but three of the most distinct metal influences were done by Purple. The galopp, the drumming and the deviation from pentatonic solos.

*I strongly disagree that Sabbath were that highly influental on grunge. The genre itself isn't consistent. It's basically rockbands from Seattle in the early 90s. Some of these bands showed some Sabbath influences on some of their songs, but not on their whole catalogue. They in no way were proto grunge or whatever.

Alot of bands take a lot of influences from a whole lot of genres. That doesn't mean that these earlier bands and genres are in any way responsible for the creation of any genre the later bands are tied to. Sabbath deserves alot of credit, but you're giving them too much out of fanboyism.

Maiden wasn't looking to make chart topping hits. They sold very well without doing so.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo View Post
    Maiden wasn't looking to make chart topping hits. They sold very well without doing so.
    Well, to be fair I think the Sex Pistols made pretty bad music as well, and they are in the HOF.

Well, to be fair I think the Sex Pistols made pretty bad music as well, and they are in the HOF.
    "As well?"..... you comparing Maiden's talent to the Sex Pistols?? If so, that's just dumb.

Sex Pistols are in due to them being one of the pioneers of the punk movement.