Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default How is Josh Giddey a starter?

OKC is an incredible team this year led by Gilgeous Alexander and Holmgren.

I was watching Game 3- OKC- Pelicans. Giddey missed some wide open layups. On the offensive ends, no one guards him so OKC must play 4 against 5. Giddey can't seem to finish and is sub-average on 3 pointers (33%). On defense, he refuses to guard his man and plays improvised zone (energy conservation) - not adding much on the defensive end in terms of Help D and leaving his man wide open for easy shots.

Based on both ends but esp defensive, I find it hard to believe he's a starter, or even a bench player for that matter. Anyone who watches OKC more have any explanation?

Default Re: How is Josh Giddey a starter?

I used to say the same thing when he was in Oz league

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Spurs m8 View Post
    Is there a reason? He's a decent court manager in the sense he's directing traffic and facilitating. With Holmgren added to the mix that seems to be needed less, and Giddey's assists per game are under 5. He was trying to direct traffic and it seemed Alexander and Holmgren weren't following his lead. Theoretically he could lead some kind of motion offfense but with Alexander and Holmgren, both seem to prefer Iso.

The missing layups thing is whatever. He can usually drive, make plays from inside the paint and finish decently. People have off games. The main issue is he can't shoot. If he could be a 37% or better 3pt shooter he would be a vital member of the team. He's the only one other than Shai who can handle the ball and make plays for others.

Sometimes teams give him the Rondo treatment and live with the percentages and when he starts missing those open 3's it completely shuts down the entire team's offense. This is why I believe OKC won't make it far in the playoffs.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    The missing layups thing is whatever. He can usually drive, make plays from inside the paint and finish decently. People have off games. The main issue is he can't shoot. If he could be a 37% or better 3pt shooter he would be a vital member of the team. He's the only one other than Shai who can handle the ball and make plays for others.

Sometimes teams give him the Rondo treatment and live with the percentages and when he starts missing those open 3's it completely shuts down the entire team's offense. This is why I believe OKC won't make it far in the playoffs.
    Jalen Williams?

Very good NBA starter

The team respects his rizz.

Youngest NBA player ever with a triple double

He’s had plenty of games where he was as good, as he was bad in the games youre referring to.

He’s a very tall guard with a solid handle and poise. He has all the tools youd want except shooting ability, and thats the thing players are most likely to improve over time.

He’s also 21 years old on a rookie contract. He’s one of the youngest players on their already very young team.

There's no reason whatsoever not to play him right now and get him experience. If hes not a keeper, no problem. But he has the potential. They werent expecting to be #1 this year anyway. And yet they were, with Giddey as their starting pg.

His haters are prisoners of the moment. Which is most people. Nobody has big picture perspective. Most peoples emotions swing wildly based on whatever’s happening here and now in front of their face. Sometimes something going wrong can be good, and sometimes things going right is a bad sign. But people dont have the temperament to really analyze it and make heads or tails of anything. They just cheer or jeer the immediate result in an emotional frenzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurs m8 View Post
    When he was like 16?

Well, I guess you’d know better than Sam Presti.

He's pretty much Kyle Anderson although I would want Anderson on my team more

He's the only pass-first player on the team. That in itself provides value to this team IMO. Shai and Jalen both can pass and create shots for teammates but they're scorers first.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

Players who thrive scoring and playing in transition, who lack either/both good 3pt shot, good post game, good 1-1 or PNR/PNP game … always struggle a little more in the playoffs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

He adds an extra level of patience and skill to the team. Almost Boris Diaw likč.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    He adds an extra level of patience and skill to the team. Almost Boris Diaw likč.
    That's a solid comp. He's also like Mavericks Jason Kidd without the defense when he's hitting his threes.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    That's a solid comp. He's also like Mavericks Jason Kidd without the defense when he's hitting his threes.
    your post number is #13, like the age of girls he likes.

He just had a baller game and you post this?