Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default True or False: Kobe Bryant was NEVER the best player in the NBA?

There have been a few players in the NBA who everybody pretty much would be in agreeance that he was the best player in the NBA. Shaq for years was the most dominate player in the NBA, Michael Jordan before him, Lebron James up until a few years ago, now it's pretty much a toss-up. Some people think its Giannis, some think its Tatum, some thinks its Jokic, some say Embid, while others think Luka.

Kobe Bryant's career lasted from 1996-2016. For those of us old enough to remember, throughout his career was he EVER CLEARLY the best player in the NBA? I would say NO. He was CLEARLY top 7, you can say top 3 some years, but he was never head and shoulders the best player in the NBA.

The first year Kobe went to the allstar he was coming off the bench on his own team. Those years the Lakers won the championship; Shaq was the most important player on the team and most dominate in the NBA. The championship years with Shaq, the argument could be made that Kobe could have been replaced with Iverson, Mcgrady, Carter, Pierce, Allen and the Lakers still would have won the championship. Another argument could be made during those years (2000-2004) that Duncan was a better player than Kobe.

The other championships later in Kobes career (2008-2011) Lebron was clearly the best player in the NBA and the argument could be made that Nowitski, Wade, Durant were better or equal player.

Bottom line is Kobe Bryant was NEVER the unanimous best player in the NBA, true or false?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: True or False: Kobe Bryant was NEVER the best player in the NBA?

False.

Decent playground baller

Hey diva....hes better than LeBRONZE James.....so while your at it...go flip me a burger

I rule the local playground Nowoco's Avatar

True. The only possible window is between 2006-2010 and whilst some people would say he was for some of that period, there are just as many arguments to say he wasn't.

It's subjective obviously but at no point was Kobe the consensus best player in the world and as far as I'm concerned, if there's reasonable doubt then you're not.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

I mean... if your mother likes to blow dudes in the park and gets enjoyment out of it who are WE to tell her that her hobby is wrong?

We don't have that right. So to answer your question? Fried chicken. Jollibees style.

And I'll leave it at that.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

I think he was 2006-08. Can be argued though.

He was definitely the best in 2008. I'd have a hard time coming up with anyone else that year. From 2006-2010, he arguably was as well but you can very reasonably argue Wade in 2006, Duncan in 2007 and Lebron/Wade in 2009 and 2010.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
    There have been a few players in the NBA who everybody pretty much would be in agreeance that he was the best player in the NBA. Shaq for years was the most dominate player in the NBA, Michael Jordan before him, Lebron James up until a few years ago, now it's pretty much a toss-up. Some people think its Giannis, some think its Tatum, some thinks its Jokic, some say Embid, while others think Luka.

Kobe Bryant's career lasted from 1996-2016. For those of us old enough to remember, throughout his career was he EVER CLEARLY the best player in the NBA? I would say NO. He was CLEARLY top 7, you can say top 3 some years, but he was never head and shoulders the best player in the NBA.

The first year Kobe went to the allstar he was coming off the bench on his own team. Those years the Lakers won the championship; Shaq was the most important player on the team and most dominate in the NBA. The championship years with Shaq, the argument could be made that Kobe could have been replaced with Iverson, Mcgrady, Carter, Pierce, Allen and the Lakers still would have won the championship. Another argument could be made during those years (2000-2004) that Duncan was a better player than Kobe.

The other championships later in Kobes career (2008-2011) Lebron was clearly the best player in the NBA and the argument could be made that Nowitski, Wade, Durant were better or equal player.

Bottom line is Kobe Bryant was NEVER the unanimous best player in the NBA, true or false?
    Its obvious you are trying to do damage control over your bitch ass queen, but GET OVER IT, hes a bitch and barely top 10 all time. You ******s believe the false media narratives they give you, but real basketball fans and players have kobe above queen james. ANY BRON FAN HAS NO INTEGRITY IN LIFE.

I rule the local playground

He was easily best player between 2008 to 2010.

He won a regular season MVP, 2 championships, and went to 3 consecutive Finals. Plus everyone deferred to him in 2008 Olympics team.

He was probably the best in 2008.

He definitely had a case circa 2006-08. It was just never unanimous, but the title was rarely was apart from late-'80s/early-'90s Jordan, early-2000s Shaq, early-2010s LeBron, and maybe Jokic now.

The closest it ever was to a clear-cut consensus was the '08 playoffs (at least before the Finals), when Kobe steamrolled through the Western Conference. He just didn't play well enough on the biggest stage to make it undisputed, but he was most people's pick for BITW until LeBron had a postseason run for the ages the following year. He had a strong case in '06 (and maybe '07), but you can only get so much traction if you lose in the first round.

The answer to OP's question really depends on whether or not it's about unanimity. The verdict is no if so, but you're asking for ultra-exclusive company in that case. It's not a knock on Kobe as much of a testament to his peers; after all, almost everyone with a stronger case during his heyday (LeBron, Shaq, Duncan, and so forth) had top-ten peaks all time.

He didn't win a season mvp and finals mvp at a young age which would have boosted his case. Unlike iverson and wade bt.

I guess that's what he got for playing with a stacked team before since entering the league.

National High School Star

True...Kobe was the best player in the league but you could always make arguments for Shaq, Duncan, Iverson, Kidd, KG, and Dirk. But undisputed greats are few and far between it's Mikan, Wilt, KAJ, Jordan, and Lebron

06-10, but you could argue someone like Duncan or even Wade

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

He was the best in 08 and 10