Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I usually hit open layups

Default Is 1 Championship enough for Luka Doncic to become the GOAT Mavericks player?

It's fair to say Luka Doncic, since his 2nd NBA season, is easily the best player ever to play for Mavs with a gigantic landslide. The likes of Dirk himself, Jerry West, Mark Cuban, Jason Kidd & Shawn Marion have admitted Luka > Dirk as a player

Dirk Nowitzki: Luka Doncic is such a special talent and so good already at leading the floor at just 21, 22, and his just unbelievable all-around game. I would say he is better than me now than I’ve ever been in my prime and that’s how good he is at 22 already.”

https://www.slamonline.com/news/nba/...ive-ever-been/
    Jerry West (in 2020): Look at Dallas; Luka Doncic has transformed them into a playoff team. He will be the best player Dallas has ever had. I have great respect for Nowitzki, but Dirk is not him.”

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2020/1...-dirk-nowitzki
    Mark Cuban: "No disrespect to Dirk. Dirk knows I love him to death. Dirk will be the first one to tell you Luka’s better.”

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...#storylink=cpy
    Jason Kidd: "I've said this before, and I'll say this for as long as I'm here, you can't take this young man for granted.

Luka Doncic is better than Dirk, he's in the atmosphere of MJ, the best to ever do it. LeBron [James], Kobe, and so just to appreciate what this young man is doing at the age of 24 is something that Dallas has never seen. And I've said this internally, he is better than Dirk. He does things that Dirk could never do. And now is the opportunity of getting the right people around him to ultimately win a championship."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/j...ichael-jordan/
    Shawn Marion: "As far as skillset and scoring-wise, yes, Luka Doncic is better than Dirk. That's not even a question. As far as what Dirk has done, the longevity and history, no, Luka isn't better than Dirk. Dirk is a seven-foot assassin with a fadeaway. But as the whole package, that's not even actually a relevant question honestly. Look at how much Luka is able to do on the floor."

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/new...-triple-double
    Do you agree 1 Championship is enough for Luka Doncic to surpass Dirk as the GOAT Mavericks player?

Default Re: Is 1 Championship enough for Luka Doncic to become the GOAT Mavericks player?

correct.

Default Re: Is 1 Championship enough for Luka Doncic to become the GOAT Mavericks player?

Mhmm if thats body of work, no.

Dirk will still have done more for the Mavs than luka.

But hes better than Dirk, yes.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Dirk was better imo. But not by a lot.

National High School Star

No he still has to hit bench marks...Dirk rook two teams to the finals and has 30K points. In my opinion Dirk is top twenty, however Luka should have been MVP this year and if he beats Boston he's a top 75 player already.

No, not yet. But in a few years, it's very likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    No he still has to hit bench marks...Dirk rook two teams to the finals and has 30K points. In my opinion Dirk is top twenty, however Luka should have been MVP this year and if he beats Boston he's a top 75 player already.
    Top 35 if he beats Boston.

Top 75?

Easiy around top 30

I mean Dirk beat Lebron and Wade with Jason Terry

Luka would be beating Tatum and Brown with Kyrie.

I don't think that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    Top 75?

Easiy around top 30
    Maybe top sixty....I wouldn't put someone at his age in the top ten yet

PG - Magic, Oscar, Curry, Stockton, Frazier, Kidd, Isiah, CPIII, Archibald, Payton
    SG - Jordan, Kobe, West, Gervin, Iverson, Wade, Maravich, Miller, Harden, Drexler
    SF - Bird, Erving, Baylor, Havlicek, Barry, Durant, Arizin, Leonard, Pippen, Rodman
    PF - Lebron, Duncan, Dirk, Pettit, KG, Barkley, Giannis, Malone, Hayes, McHale
    C - Chamberlain, KAJ, Russell, Mikan, Moses, Hakeem, Shaq, Jokic, Robinson

Maybe top sixty....I wouldn't put someone at his age in the top ten yet

PG - Magic, Oscar, Curry, Stockton, Frazier, Kidd, Isiah, CPIII, Archibald, Payton
    SG - Jordan, Kobe, West, Gervin, Iverson, Wade, Maravich, Miller, Harden, Drexler
    SF - Bird, Erving, Baylor, Havlicek, Barry, Durant, Arizin, Leonard, Pippen, Rodman
    PF - Lebron, Duncan, Dirk, Pettit, KG, Barkley, Giannis, Malone, Hayes, McHale
    C - Chamberlain, KAJ, Russell, Mikan, Moses, Hakeem, Shaq, Jokic, Robinson

So if luka were to retire after a Chip this year, hed be bottom end top 60? Behind Hayes, McHale, Baylor, Havlicek, Barry, Rodman(?!), REGGIE MIllER, IVERSON, GERVIN, KIDD, ARCHIBAlD?

So if luka were to retire after a Chip this year, hed be bottom end top 60? Behind Hayes, McHale, Baylor, Havlicek, Barry, Rodman(?!), REGGIE MIllER, IVERSON, GERVIN, KIDD, ARCHIBAlD?

Bro, this is his gimmick, make indefensibly dumb claims about where players rank. He's either a troll or legitimately retarded

Right he would be a
    5X All-star
    11,000 Pts
    3,000 Asts
    2 Playoff runs
    1 Title

So let's go rhrough some of those players

Rick Barry
    6X All-Star
    25K points
    2 Championships
    5 Playoff runs

Reggie Miller
    5X Allstar
    25K points
    6 playoff runs

Elgin Baylor
    11X All-Star
    20K in points 10K in rebounds
    9 playoff runs

(a playoff run is conference or NBA finals)

Why would you want to contextualize the career of a 25 year old? We just went through this 10 years ago with KD you don't have to over inflate every current player in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Bro, this is his gimmick, make indefensibly dumb claims about where players rank. He's either a troll or legitimately retarded
    Well lets see one of us can make an argument based on history, facts, and context and the other one of us can only use name calling.

Very good NBA starter

He's the best player to have played for the Mavs, but he is not the best Mavs player.

For the here and now? Not yet. Luka would still have a bit more to accomplish to eclipse Dirk overall, even with a ring and Finals MVP this year. I'm not even sure this run—as Cinderella-esque as it's been—would be more impressive than Dirk's 2011 title, unless Luka has a Finals for the ages.

Long term, though? Yeah, winning this year would easily put him on pace to do so before he retires. He's already the better player prime-for-prime IMO, and he's only bound to widen the gap further—and add more accolades in the process—in the years to come as he reaches his peak.