Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 26333435363738 LastLast

Thread: Real NBA Height

Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

Default Re: Real NBA Height

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    6'4 7/8" Michael Jordan and 6'5.5" Julius Erving
    Said it before and will say it again. Pictures are useless when trying to compare 3 dimensional sizes. Even things like hair color and back grounds can make your brain process the image differently and interpret things incorrectly. That's not to say its wrong, but more to say its not right. In any case, not accurate.

Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    Why in the hell don't people use the metric system? It's 10 times more accurate than the stupid English system. Also I've seen Yao in person once and i can honestly say that I very much doubt that he's only 7-5. I would really think that's a low ball figure.
    Actually, to be accurate, both are exactly equally accurate. One is just much easier to make conversions in you head. Metric is better but I'll always think of height and short distances in terms of feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Charles
    Barkley says he is around 6`5 with shoes on. He has been measured at 6`4 3/4 before and in the 92 Olympics at 6`4 5/8 ft (Magic is also closer to 6`7 1/2 than 6`9...Go Look at him stand next to Bird and see for yourself).

He is not 1.98 which is 6`6...He is 1.95 mt

Go look at Barkley next to Rodman who is around 6`6 3/4 and see for yourself.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=jGX_HX...eature=related
    we get it. Barkley was a midget and still is GOAT.

Look, he's one of the best ever and was a monster for his size. but give it up already.

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Really, I'm just impressed that some of these arguments have lasted technically over a year

This thread is great, though, and it's crazy how much everyone seems to exaggerate. Some time in mid-2008, a poster suggested a yearly weigh in and measurement session, maybe to start training camp, and I think that it'd be a good idea. Like, it's actually pretty bad that everyone seems to exaggerate their height a bit, since it could discourage kids from really following their dreams of trying to make the league if they're a few inches too short. For example, if I were still in high school, I'd have fun playing ball but I wouldn't take it that seriously because I'm technically only 5"11, which would mean that I could have the best jump shot, the best sprint times, the best bench press, and the best court vision in my class, and I still would have trouble getting drafted, never mind if I'm just really good but not the best, when I'd actually be about as tall as most NBA point guards, as opposed to three or four inches shorter.

I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

any one know Rudy Fernandez's height without shoes?

...or Brent Barry?

i've never been able to find either. both are listed at 6'6" but i take it they're an inch or two shorter
    Last edited by JG000; 06-14-2009 at 10:34 PM.

I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JG000
    any one know Rudy Fernandez's height without shoes?

...or Brent Barry?

i've never been able to find either. both are listed at 6'6" but i take it they're an inch or two shorter
    Turns out Rudy is 6' 4.75"

Still can't find Brent Barry's height WOS

anyone got it?

Banned

The only two I think the TC has wrong is Hakeem and Wilt. I saw a TV show on NBA tv and they said when he came over from Africa he was measured immediately and Came in exactly at 6 11 3/4. Also I saw a pic of wilt on the net somewhere where he was standing near a statue that was supposedly real life height of wilt (7 foot 1 inch) and he was easily an inch and a half taller. I'll look for the pic.

Very good NBA starter

Interesting thread, A lot of guys are typically 1-2 inches shorter than their height lists them. Based on guys ive shook hands/met briefly standing up

I am 6'6 solid, I met Paul Pierce last summer in vegas in july and the guy is close to a half inch taller than me(he had casual shoes on) Pierce is closer to 6'7.

Met Michael at a Loyola basketball game 3 years ago, where Jeffrey played. Michael look about 6'4 and sum change.

Saw Luther head at Bon V in downtown chicago 3 weeks ago. Cant be any taller than 6'2( hes listed 6'3)

Played ball against shannon brown in maywood. Hes 6'2 not 6'4 like hes listed.

I think teams are slowly realizing that other body parts are more important than core height.

I.E. Dwayne Wade is like 6'3 but that guy has long ass arms and his torso is shorter than his legs. Hes all legs so he plays bigger than his 6'3 size.

Pierce had a jumpball with kobe in the finals last year and if u saw the picture, you saw how much longer pierces arms are as well as his Torso. Pierce can play like a 6'9 guy with his arms which is why he never gets burned when he matches up on the perimeter with longer SF's.

Torso, arms plays a bigger part in how a player can play.

You look at GLenn Davis whos a legit 6'7 1/2 and his body plays like a SG. small arms,short arms, low base short torso.

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

I know I've mentioned this before, but shoulder height matters (and standing reach) matters more than top of head height. It's not like you can play basketball with the top of your head
    Take Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh as an example

Bosh is clearly taller an 1 inch than Howard. However, Howard's shoulder height is at least the same (if not higher) than Bosh's. Does having being taller by having a longer head/neck really help in basketball? I don't think so

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by supersmashbros
    I know I've mentioned this before, but shoulder height matters (and standing reach) matters more than top of head height. It's not like you can play basketball with the top of your head

Bosh is clearly taller an 1 inch than Howard. However, Howard's shoulder height is at least the same (if not higher) than Bosh's. Does having being taller by having a longer head/neck really help in basketball? I don't think so
    This may be of interest. Bosh's standing reach was 9'1" despite measuring 6'10 1/4" without shoes. Dwight had a 9'3 1/2" standing reach despite measuring just 6'9" without shoes. So that picture makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by supersmashbros

It helps you see over the defense ala Magic for the sweet pass.
    Otherwise, it just makes people wish you played bigger. Standing reach is where its at. Wingspan helps get into the passing lanes and block shots/release shots. It does take a condor a bit more time to get his arms up than a T-rex, but a shorter guys with longer arms makes up for any delay with quicker feet (shorter guys can respond quicker laterally).

Very good NBA starter

also look at the torso, Howards torso is up higher. with his longer arms he plays bigger than Bosh.People read into height too much.

Eddie House and Iverson are the same height, but iversons torso is up higher showing his height mostly in his legs, with his wingspan that allows him to play 3 inches taller.

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi
    It helps you see over the defense ala Magic for the sweet pass.
    Otherwise, it just makes people wish you played bigger. Standing reach is where its at. Wingspan helps get into the passing lanes and block shots/release shots. It does take a condor a bit more time to get his arms up than a T-rex, but a shorter guys with longer arms makes up for any delay with quicker feet (shorter guys can respond quicker laterally).
    I have the same built as Dwight Howard (except I am about a foot shorter and 130 lbs lighter) or Shawn Marion. I am only 5,9"-ish but I have the 'high shoulders syndrome'. As such, it looks like I don't have a neck because my shoulders are so high, square, and broad.

I was in the park with a 5,11" guy on a basketball court. Despite being a good inch taller or more taller, my shoulder height was the same as his. My wingspan is nearly 6,2". As such, my standing reach was the same as his (we actually compared) . I may only be 176 cm (in the morning, but in the late evening because of daily height strinkage I am only 174 cm ish), but I can touch the 8' (243 cm) of my apartment without leaving the floor at all because of my relatively long arms and high shoulders!

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    also look at the torso, Howards torso is up higher. with his longer arms he plays bigger than Bosh.People read into height too much.

Eddie House and Iverson are the same height, but iversons torso is up higher showing his height mostly in his legs, with his wingspan that allows him to play 3 inches taller.
    I didn't notice Howard's torso is higher than Bosh's, but thanks for pointing that out . It's pretty obvious if you look closely I suppose (because Howard's waist is slightly higher than Bosh's).

btw, contrary to popular belief, the difference in neck length between ppl is more apparent than real. The main reason why some ppl seem to have short or long necks (excluding double chins) is because of shoulder elevation/height. Somebody like Dwight Howard or Shawn Marion only appear to have a short neck because of having high or square shoulders. Somebody like Bosh or Yao only appear to have a longer neck because of lower or sloping shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Charles
    6`8 Grant Hill...next to Charles

Terrible picture...