Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "Bob Cousy wouldn't even make a current NBA roster"

[QUOTE]How do you think a team of All-Stars from the past

I pooped a hammer.

Default Re: "Bob Cousy wouldn't even make a current NBA roster"

Eh, people love to bash on 50's - 70's players and say they would be no more than bench warmers in today's game. *Cough* *BULLS* *Cough.

Good college starter Valliant13's Avatar

By his standards Nash couldn't hack in todays NBA either.
    Skill and basketball IQ still plays a big part in the game, and Cousy wasn't a bad athlete...not explosive, but extremly well coordinated and great reflexes.

Banned

In today's game.....

Bob Cousy = Steve Blake

Celtics fans always seem to overrate their players based on championships won (hence all the retired #'s in franchise history). It's only a matter of time before they retire M.L. Carr's number as well.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

conditioning, nutrition, and evolution of the game play a HUGE role. iam sure if those players were exposed to the same type of nutrition and conditioning that we have today they would probably be just a good.

Why do people insist on making negative remarks on players from other eras, such as "they would be nothing in today's game"? Why does it even matter? They're players who dominated their own eras, that's all. Each era has certain players and a certain gameplay style and the game is always evolving. Older players ruled older eras, current players rule the current era.

Leave it at that.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

50 years from now , people will say :
    Duncan would get owned in current NBA. And they will all be wrong, just like this idiot from Foxsports.

Go Spurs Go

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever
    50 years from now , people will say :
    Duncan would get owned in current NBA. And they will all be wrong, just like this idiot from Foxsports.
    great point. thread is done.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

duncan would get owned in teh 80s.

Good High School Starter haji_d_robertas's Avatar

What logic is the guy using to make that statement? Is it the same logic that they used for Earl Boykins? Too small. Larry Bird? Not athletic enough. Suffice to say that they fail to look at the individual as a human being, and that there is no measure avalible that rates guts, determination and will power. Who'd you rather pick for your team? Darius Miles? Michael Olowakandi? Kwame Brown? I say the opposite. Guys like that would have no place on an NBA team back in Cousy's day. Why? They lack heart. If Bob Cousy was playing today he would find a way to compete with anybody. Why? Talent. Pure and simple. The hell with Physically gifted freakish athletes who can't decide if they want to play the game or not. I'd take Cousy and win with him too.

Made that high school varsity squad

Listen to Cousy on the last 10 seconds of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur2qA...elated&search=

Well Cousy could make the NBA today in my mind...but he wouldnt be a legend..

I usually dont question a lot of stars but Cousy is one of the ones I do, along with Mikan..

he is short, not very quick and couldnt shoot... So lets say his passer ability transfers he is still having seasons where his fg% is gonna be real low and his defense wouldnt be too great becasue of height...

This is trying to take into account the weight training etc..

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Ive always said and will always say...I dont want a point who learned the game i nthe late 40s because I need a jumper from all my ball handling players. Especially a point. cousy did not have what we consider a jumper and unlike Magic didnt have the kind of game that makes up for it these days(and Magic set shot was great in the late 80s).

6'1'' guys who cant shoot and arent athletic dont do much these days. Court vision only gets you so far. Cousy these days might end up one of those great NCAA points who gets taken i nthe second round and put on the bench for 3 years before going to europe.

Banned

ive never been one to take this arguement

ive always believed you cant blame a player for being great in his time. What else do you really want. i mean without guys like cousy and russell and oscar robertson, elgin baylor, guys who were ahead of their time, the NBA isnt where it is today. I mean sure, with the athleticism of todays game, and the weightlifting and hardcore schedule with 30 NBA teams, its hard to believe alot of those guys would succeed, but im pretty sure in 50 years, kids will see a guy like Larry Bird and say, "that guy wouldnt even have been drafted in today's league" even though we know Larry was a great player.