Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Was originally offered the chance to direct Men in Black (1997), but turned it down.

Was originally offered the chance to direct Speed (1994/I), but turned it down
    From his imdb profile,Damn what the hell was he doing then those years?
    Is it just me or does his forehead look like it could be used as a chalk board?Kind of reminds Tony Blair only retarded.

Didn't Kubrick direct Spartacus? Thats a kickass movie rifht there with old school Douglas
    Last edited by HALLandOATES; 07-18-2006 at 09:35 PM.

NBA Superstar

it's easier to write a tarantino movie than most movies imo. directing it is a different story, but any tarantino wannabee (TMOGE aka uni student that thinks he's really wise) can write that sh!t.

Football In The Groin funkylikemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos
    it's easier to write a tarantino movie than most movies imo. directing it is a different story, but any tarantino wannabee (TMOGE aka uni student that thinks he's really wise) can write that sh!t.

Well as for that first part, Tarantino never went to film school, so it's not like TMOGE would be following in his footsteps. QT worked at a video store and prided himself on the fact that he didn't learn from people who knew movies, he learned from movies themselves. He basically watched every film in the store, good or bad and learned what to and not to do.

Fav. films

*copy and pastes his own myspace profile*
    American Beauty, Lost in Translation, Pi, Requiem for a Dream, City of God, Garden State, The Squid and the Whale, Resevoir Dogs, , Taxi Driver, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Waking Life, Crash, The Graduate, Memento, I Heart Huckabees, Donnie Darko, 24 Hour Party People, Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Mallrats, The Usual Suspects, Clockwork Orange, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, American History X, LA Confidential, Rashomon, Run Lola Run, Shawshank Redemption, Almost Famous, Young Frankenstein, Haggard The Movie, Bonnie and Clyde, Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, I'm The Juggernaut *****, Magnolia, Mystic River, Midnight Express, Forrest Gump, Fight Club, Dazed and Confused, Cool Hand Luke, Rear Window, Pulp Fiction, The Royal Tannenbaums, Life Aquatic, Akira, Spaceballs, The Matrix, The Untouchables, Scarface, Good Will Hunting, Empire Of The Sun, Falling Down, Trainspotting, Angels With Dirty Faces, Bottle Rocket, The Wave

and Tmoge, I'm repping Kubrick in my list with Clockwork and Dr. Strangelove.

As for QT

I've enjoyed all of his films except for Jackie Brown. I consider him a great writer, and enjoy the diologue in most of his films. A lot of this turned around for me though when I found out he wasn't the only one who wrote Pulp Fiction...

He wrote Pulp Fiction along with Roger Avary and tried paying Roger off so QT could have all the credit. The statement he told Roger was along the lines of, "You don't have a future in Hollywood, but me, I'm going to make it. I want to be known not only as a director, but a writers, so let's just get this over with." I don't have the exact quote because it was in a book and I returned it to the library last week.

So sure he may be full of himselt...but who isn't in hollywood? As that deterred you from liking anyone else?

Learning to shoot layups Lascar78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geeWiz15
    Snatch only took one try to make the movie that Tarantino has been desperately trying to put together
    I find this hilarious given that snatch is the exact same movie as Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, including same director, same cast, same editing techniques, etc... hell it's the sole reason I boycotted it in the movies, because I hate it when a director makes it big and basically remakes the same movie to get a second hit. It's also a completely unfair comparison because it's much easier to make a newer good movie in a genre than it is to basically create an entire genre of your own. Tarantino, while overrated, is an innovator.

You don't seem to know much about film.

On a personal note, Cohen Brothers' movies are my favorite

memento/ the outlaw joesy wales/good will hunting/lost in translation and sideways

are my 5 favorites from recent years

i agree the bourne films are excellent and possibly the greatest action films ever made, along with diehard and....erm......do we count terminator/aliens as action?

If you like British mob movies, I suggest Layercake, really good movie.

NBA Superstar

funky, many people today try to imitate tarantino's style though. especially those who take film courses...even if the prof tries to turn them away from that sort of sh!t.

my prof. never showed us any of those kinds of movies probably for fear that joe cool's mind would be warped.

NBA Superstar

let me rephrase, not necessarily imitate, but they yearn to one day be a tarantino like director/writer.

Good college starter TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lascar78
    I find this hilarious given that snatch is the exact same movie as Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, including same director, same cast, same editing techniques, etc... hell it's the sole reason I boycotted it in the movies, because I hate it when a director makes it big and basically remakes the same movie to get a second hit. It's also a completely unfair comparison because it's much easier to make a newer good movie in a genre than it is to basically create an entire genre of your own. Tarantino, while overrated, is an innovator.

You don't seem to know much about film.

On a personal note, Cohen Brothers' movies are my favorite
    Pretty much sums it up. Guy Ritchie made Lock, Stock, and Snatch and they were both the exact same movie. He couldn't keep it up the way Tarantino has. Guy Ritchies latest movie "Revolver" which is the same as Lock, Stock, and Snatch went straight to video and wasn't even good enough for a theatrical release. Good points, Lascar.

And the Coens are great, but they have fallen off BIG TIME the last 8 or so years.

Funky, you have a good list. Some of my faves in there. Did you ever finish Boogie Nights? Or was it Magnolia?

hall and oats are you suggesting tony blair isnt retarded?

if you are i suggest you retract.

I agree that some may want to be like the, but I don't really blame them. He was one of the first indie directors to break through, maybe the 2nd right after Steven Soderbergh. He pretty much brought Sundance to the forefront of America with Res. Dogs.

NBA Superstar

and now sundance is a piece of you know what.

Banned

TMOGE it's not as if I can't sit through any movie that doesn't have people shooting each other or quick, rapid fire jokes through it. I think you misjudge me when you see Dodgeball in my favorite movies list. For all the crap you give me about sounding snobbish and better than everyone, you sure don't mind flashing that college film education in front of us and talking about how much more advanced your tastes are. Can you watch a silly movie and laugh your ass off or do you just sit there whining about the poor cinematography? I can watch anything, and movies I like aren't limited to those that are on the UFI top 100.

So sure he may be full of himselt...but who isn't in hollywood? As that deterred you from liking anyone else?
    Nope. Not even Russ Crowe. I don't hold it against them AS LONG AS IT STAYS OFF THE CELLULOID. Which in Tarantino's case you can taste it in the theater if you bite down quickly.

Good college starter TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos
    funky, many people today try to imitate tarantino's style though. especially those who take film courses...even if the prof tries to turn them away from that sort of sh!t.

my prof. never showed us any of those kinds of movies probably for fear that joe cool's mind would be warped.
    Too true. Ever seen that horrible movie "Boondock Saints?" By far the worst of the post-tarantino knockoffs. And yet some people claim it's really good. Yesh.

But that's how it is with everything. If it's popular, it gets imitated. Look at the state of music today.

I had watched Boogie Nights one night and then started Magnolia and only got through the first hour and a half before my power went out, but I added it to my top list just based on the first half. Plan on finishing it tonight.