Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Default Re: Kobe vs. Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by KB42PAH
    Its not about Kobe, plaayers today>>>trash from weak 50-80s

Rasheed, Joe Johnson>>>>bird, mchale.
    Vince> Dominique
    Kobe, Wade, Lebron >>>anyone other than arguably jordan although I consider kobe>jordan
    KG, Duncan>any bigmen other than kareem
    Cp3, Deron, Nash, Billups

every posiition today >>> those weak trash ones

Very. Very. True.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by lolwut
    He had a spectacular set shot, and he had a good ball fake. I agree.

He played in a MUCH slower and MUCH less athletic period in the NBA. You can talk until you're blue in the face about intangibles and toughness, but the fact of the matter is today's players are much faster, much stronger, much quicker, and much more athletic getting to the rim. His shoulder-cocked set shot would get sent back from where it came regularly today, and he would get ran up and down the court every night on defense.
    Bird torched Rodman, Worthy, Wilkins, Drexler, Kersey, Pippen....sorry, but those guys are more than athletic enough. Bird was unstoppable.

LOL @ the naivete in thinking that Bird's shot would be routinely blocked today. Simply zero understanding of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Bird torched Rodman, Worthy, Wilkins, Drexler, Kersey, Pippen....sorry, but those guys are more than athletic enough. Bird was unstoppable.

LOL @ the naivete in thinking that Bird's shot would be routinely blocked today. Simply zero understanding of the game.

by torch you mean hit some jumpers, and none of those players aside from Rodman, and Pippen were exceptional defenders...and Bird did not regularly torch Pippen and Rodman...not at all.
    Last edited by lolwut; 01-15-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Against Pip Bird averaged 26ppg,8rpg,6apg

This is getting silly. Kobe is not in Bird's class. He is not a top 20 player let alone top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Against Pip Bird averaged 26ppg,8rpg,6apg

This is getting silly. Kobe is not in Bird's class. He is not a top 20 player let alone top ten.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...la01&year=1991

his best performances were Pippen's rookie and sophomore campaigns. Where he certainly didn't spend a lot of time guarding the best player on the floor each night.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...la01&year=1991

his best performances were Pippen's rookie and sophomore campaigns. Where he certainly didn't spend a lot of time guarding the best player on the floor each night.
    Worst Bird performances were post back surgery. I can make excuses too. Cats like to skip over the fact that Bird was barely able to move at the end of his career and was still torching young cats.

NBA rookie of the year

by torch you mean hit some jumpers, and none of those players aside from Rodman, and Pippen were exceptional defenders...and Bird did not regularly torch Pippen and Rodman...not at all.
    Who are the exceptional defenders today that are going to "routinely block Bird's shot"? I assumed you were saying that because you feel players today are more athletic; all of the guys I named were very athletic and couldn't do much against Bird.

Add Michael Cooper to the above list as well.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Worst Bird performances were post back surgery. I can make excuses too. Cats like to skip over the fact that Bird was barely able to move at the end of his career and was still torching young cats.
    Seriously. This dude is crazy. At age 35, after numerous back surgeries and barely able to walk, Bird was averaging 20/10/7/47%. This was in a league one year before Shaq arrived, right in the middle of Jordan's prime.

To suggest that Bird would get dominated today is rank stupidity.

Local High School Star beau_boy04's Avatar

Kobe is not even a top 20 all-time list let alone a top 10. In fact, Bird is considered a top 3 all-time by over 60% of the population. Many consider him the best player ever.

Intangibles = Bird
    IQ = Bird
    Shooting (close,midrange, long) = Bird
    Rebounding = Bird
    Passing = Bird
    Cluth = Bird

Clear as water. It doesn't get any better than that.

National High School Star

Can any of these Kobe nuthangers post a video of all the Kobe playoffs heroics? We're talking games where he dropped 50+, went shot for shot with a superstar rival, series winning shots, finals heroics...that sort of stuff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime
    Can any of these Kobe nuthangers post a video of all the Kobe playoffs heroics? We're talking games where he dropped 50+, went shot for shot with a superstar rival, series winning shots, finals heroics...that sort of stuff.
    Kobe's playoff heroics include staring at Shaq while he attempted free throws.

Originally Posted by lolwut
    you put bird's slow set shooting ass in today's NBA and he couldn't make a practice squad. Kobe is exponentially better than Larry Bird.
    Since the average person who believes that Larry Bird "couldn't make a practice squad" doesn't even know what "exponentially" means, I initially thought you were kidding. I still hope you are. Bird played some of the best games of his whole career against athletic teams, like Altanta and Portland.

And aside from...(who exactly?), none of today's greatest athletes playing at SF are exceptional defenders, either. BTW, the whole "he'd routinely get his shot blocked" is a completely trash argument, overall. There's no player in NBA history with a scorer's mentality who had his shot blocked routinely and even the players who did get blocked quite a lot (like Iverson or, among big guys, Malone) were never restrained from shooting and never stopped shooting and improving because of this. Bird was one of the tallest SF's ever (even by today's standards), had one of the quickest releases ever and was one of the smartest and toughest players ever, and you're implying that because he'd get occassionally blocked (which he did, even in his day), that would in some way affect his overall status and that he'd feel any awe at all? Hell, even weak Euros with bottom athletic ability are able to hold their own because of their smarts and good shot and Bird couldn't? Not gonna happen.

Banned

Larry Bird in his prime I think was better than Kobe of today. He and Magic just had something unique, some kind of special way of seeing the game, like a special ability to feel the game more than anyone else.

BTW, IMO Bodiroga was the closest thing I ever saw to Bird.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 01-15-2009 at 06:28 PM.

National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

Bird could not be guarded by Scottie Pippen, Rodman, Clyde Drexler, Nique Wilkins, Chambers, James Worthy....fast enough? and in the Post we went against Barkley, Grant, Antoine Carr, Caldwell Jones, Kevin Willis, Buck Williams, Rick Mahorn...Big enough?

End this...Its insulting Basketbal...kids go watch Dunk Contests and Sprints...